Fresh snow

Old March 3rd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Fresh snow

Graham Fountain wrote:

"Draco" wrote in message
ups.com...

Both of you can keep all that cold stuff up there above the border.
Here in the mid-atlantic region we still have snow piles and now up to
two inches of rain. We'll see how much flood waters we'll have by
tomorrow.

You can send some of your rain, ice - anything, our way. almost 6PM
here, with the sun just setting, and it's still 31C (90 something in
the old scale). Hasn't rained in months. The 3 dams that our city relies
on are sitting on about 16% capacity. We are already on level 5 water
restrictions - which means no outside use of water at all, only internal
domestic use. Talk is that level 6 will be introduced within a month or
2 -the officials are still trying to determine what level 6 will be, as
it's never been implemented. Possibly restrictions on the number of
times you can flush the toilet, bans on dishwashers and clothes washing
machines (back to handwashing etc). Unless we get decent rain, we'll be
dry by the end of the year. So please, Ice, Snow, Rain - if you don't
want it, send it down our way.

As Helen said, I'd send some if I could....

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old March 3rd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Graham Fountain

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 3, 2:48 am, "Graham Fountain" wrote:
"Draco" wrote in message

[...]

Believe me Graham, if there were a way I would be very happy to
oblige.
Man, it must be dry as a bone where you are.

Yeah, things are pretty bad. It probably didn't make the news over there,
but our city made big news in Australia, because the city council proposed a
water recycling scheme - basically the water reclaimed from sewage was to be
treated through a reverse osmosis system and reused to supplement the city
water supply. For some reason it had to go to a vote last year, where it was
overturned 62-38%. The state govt has just announced that brisbane will be
getting recycled water, and decided that without a referendum, so they'll
probably do a similar thing for us. Unfortunately time is running short - it
is doubtful such a system will be built before the dams run dry. The north
of the state however has had record rainfall and floods - there is talk of a
pipeline from north queensland down to the south-east, but of course cost of
a pipeline capable of shifting a few ML of water per day a distance of
roughly 1200 miles would be very expensive.
The local media etc all put this extreme drought down to a case of climate
change but I'm not so sure. There are many indicators in the natural
environment, that this area naturally has very long periods of drought. Much
of the area is naturally a tree-less plain, despite the soils and (in human
history) there being good rainfall. Indeed there are more trees around here
now than there were when the area was first settled by whites. There are
very few indicators that the area was significantly populated by aborigines,
and the ones that were here were nomadic. I personally think the are has
natural cycles of high rainfall followed by exceptionally low rainfall. In
previous human history we have enjoyed the high rainfall, and now we are
facing the low.
Enough of my rantings though - a day off work today, so I should get out and
take some photographs!
Helen

Old March 4th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Simon Stanmore

Rear sync and approx. 2 stops more on ambient would've done the trick in
terms of exposure
--
Simon
http://www.simonstanmore.com

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/SnowFlash.jpg

Tornado's in 'bama... snow in Montreal...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old March 4th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Mar 3, 4:22 pm, "Graham Fountain" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... On Mar 3, 2:48 am, "Graham Fountain" wrote:
"Draco" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

I truly hope things work out for you and everyone out there Graham. A
few days of good rainfall anyways. Best of luck to you!
Helen

Old March 4th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

wrote in message

oups.com... On Mar 3, 2:48 am, "Graham Fountain" wrote:
"Draco" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

I truly hope things work out for you and everybody else out there
Graham. A few days of heavy rainfall anyways. Enjoy taking some pics
in the meantime.
Helen

Old March 4th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Simon Stanmore wrote:
Rear sync and approx. 2 stops more on ambient would've done the trick in
terms of exposure

It was rear sync, and it was dark out. That's what the scene "looked" like