Importance of Being Prepared

Old February 14th 06, 02:24 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Importance of Being Prepared

Yesterday I was in the Glasshouse Mountains region of SE Queensland.
Just before sunset, I drove up to Wild Horse Mountain, with the
intention of walking up to the lookout to take photos of the mountains
with the sun setting behind them. I pulled up in the carpark & grabbed
my camera, tripod & GPS (my new toy). Knowing I had a steep walk ahead
of me, rather than taking my whole camera bag (2 bodies, Video camera, 3
lenses, assorted filters), I just grabbed 1 body, 28-80 lens and my
polarizer. The wife asked me to take some photos with her digital camera
too (a little 5MP HP P&S), so it went into a pocket on my pants. Up I
started to climb, as I got near the lookout, I felt as if I was about to
have a heart attack, I was absolutely stuffed (new years resolution, get
fit again). Got to the top, checked the GPS - 100m higher than the car
in the carpark, and 600m away from it - no wonder I was stuffed.

Looked at the camera - up to shot 26 on a roll of Agfa 27 exposure, 400
speed colour negative film. No worries I thought, I'll just snap off
those 3 shots, then load some slide film for the serious shooting - I
figured I'd probably shoot a roll, maybe two as the sun set and it got
dark. Then it hit me - my film was all still in my camera bag, in the
car - 600m away, and 100m below me. My camera always gets 1 more shot
than the roll says, so I had 3 shots left (on a film that isn't really
ideal for this scenario), plus whatever I could coax out of the P&S'er.
I think I made the 3 frames count, although the light certainly got a
lot better after I'd shot the last frame. I'm keen to process them
tomorrow and see what happened.
Old February 14th 06, 02:57 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

This is the perfect situation for a trained retrieving hawk, or maybe
the time for the personal jet pack is here. I wonder if there is a
market?

Good luck with the three you got.
Jim

Old February 16th 06, 11:43 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I did the equivelent last Saturday - went kitesurfing on the west coast
of Scotland - had a feeling in the car that I had left something behind
..... get there rig ... Dang where's the wetsuit DUHHHH at home. Luckily
the local shop rents them out. Still be prepared always a good motto

Old February 17th 06, 04:44 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

JimKramer wrote:
This is the perfect situation for a trained retrieving hawk, or maybe
the time for the personal jet pack is here. I wonder if there is a
market?

Good luck with the three you got.

They look ok - at this stage I've only scanned them on my epson, I'll
try to get a frontier scan shortly. Unfortunately, I also discovered
that the wife's HP R707 suffers from a focus problem. It was having
trouble locking focus in the low light, so I set it to infinity focus.
The resulting images are WAY out of focus. I also noticed that about 90%
of our other shots from our few days away have focussed on items in the
background instead of the foreground. The camera only has centre focus,
and despite images being framed like a kangaroo in headlights, the
subject is out of focus and the background is in. I guess it's time to
ring HP.
Jim

Old February 18th 06, 04:43 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Graham Fountain wrote:

dark. Then it hit me - my film was all still in my camera bag, in the
car - 600m away, and 100m below me.

This is my main worry with LF. I'd forget something 100's of meters
down the hill.... I don't mind humping a lightened bag. (Remove lenses
I won't use...)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.