A spare battery for the camera.

Old October 15th 12, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Jason

Default A spare battery for the camera.

If I buy a spare camera battery and store it away
as a hedge against obsolescence, would this be a
good solution? When the battery of my 1997
mobile phone died, there were no replacement
batteries available, and so I had to buy a new
phone!
Old October 15th 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-14 19:41:21 -0700, Peter Jason said:

If I buy a spare camera battery and store it away
as a hedge against obsolescence, would this be a
good solution? When the battery of my 1997
mobile phone died, there were no replacement
batteries available, and so I had to buy a new
phone!

No!
You would be better off buying the spare battery and use a rotation protocol.
One battery (A) in use, and one freshly charged (B) on standby. When
"A" is almost, or fully discharged, replace with "B" and charge "A" to
be placed on standby in your bag.

Savageduck

Old October 15th 12, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter Jason
wrote:

If I buy a spare camera battery and store it away
as a hedge against obsolescence, would this be a
good solution?

it will degrade whether you use it or not.

When the battery of my 1997
mobile phone died, there were no replacement
batteries available, and so I had to buy a new
phone!

big deal. the carrier would gladly give you a new and better phone for
free (or some token amount like $9.99) that does a lot more than the
old one ever did. that's how they entice you to sign another contract
and lock you in.

also, you don't say when it died, but phones from 1997 can't be used
anymore, so even if you had a stack of batteries, you'd still need to
replace it because it no longer works.

similarly, by the time batteries for your camera are obsolete, the
camera itself will be obsolete. you'll *want* a new camera. think back
to what digicams were like in 1997.
Old October 15th 12, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

When the battery of my 1997
mobile phone died, there were no replacement
batteries available, and so I had to buy a new
phone!

big deal. the carrier would gladly give you a new and better phone for
free

There are no free phones.

yes there are. quite a few, in fact, including the iphone and android
phones.

here's a whole bunch:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/free-phones.shtml

You may not be charged for it when you pick
it up, but you will pay for it over the course of your contract.

obviously, but you're going to be paying the monthly fee anyway. the
phone does not cost anything extra.

not only that, but they don't discount your monthly fee if you refuse
the phone, so you might as well take it.

Only a sucker thinks the phone is "free".

well let's see...you're paying say $50/mo for service and you sign a
new contract, then they hand you a new phone for no extra cost. you
continue to pay $50/mo, just like you were before, but you now have a
new phone.

since you think it's not free, where's the charge?

yes, it's subsidized, but as i said, you are going to be paying the
monthly fee *anyway* and they don't discount anything if you refuse the
phone, so you might as well take it.

it's how the cellphone industry works.
Old October 15th 12, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Peter Jason
says...
If I buy a spare camera battery and store it away
as a hedge against obsolescence, would this be a
good solution? When the battery of my 1997
mobile phone died, there were no replacement
batteries available, and so I had to buy a new
phone!

I wouldn't bother trying to save a camera for posterity, since newer and
better camera models keep coming out all the time.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 15th 12, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 15/10/2012 6:47 p.m., nospam wrote:

it's how the cellphone industry works.

Thanks for that description. It makes printer/ink and cigarette
companies seem honest.
Old October 15th 12, 08:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 2012-10-14 19:41:21 -0700, Peter Jason said:

If I buy a spare camera battery and store it away
as a hedge against obsolescence, would this be a
good solution? When the battery of my 1997
mobile phone died, there were no replacement
batteries available, and so I had to buy a new
phone!

Usually you can get recently obsoleted batteries if you know where to
look. The supplies don't just vanish immediately. Chances are that an
antique phone like that won't work on current networks anyway.

You probably could still find a used one on eBay if you really wanted to
(though I don't recommend it).

No!
You would be better off buying the spare battery and use a rotation
protocol.
One battery (A) in use, and one freshly charged (B) on standby. When "A"
is almost, or fully discharged, replace with "B" and charge "A" to be
placed on standby in your bag.

This is by far the most rational approach. Oh and be sure to carry the
spare battery in a plastic case so it cannot encounter metallic objects
and short circuit. They pack enough punch to catch fire if provoked.

It is easy enough if you have a camera that takes 4xAA you can just buy
some new batteries if the rechargables run out but for bespoke batteries
you need a backup already charged just in case.

Martin Brown
Old October 15th 12, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jdanield

Le 15/10/2012 08:54, Me a écrit :
On 15/10/2012 6:47 p.m., nospam wrote:

it's how the cellphone industry works.

Thanks for that description. It makes printer/ink and cigarette
companies seem honest.

but not all cell phone companies do that. For example french "freee"
company makes a ¤20 subscription with no phone

http://mobile.free.fr/

but, by the way, you prbably have some relatives that can share a
phone with you for free or buy seco,d hand phone.

The OP problem is still important if somebody wants to keep hardware
for historical purpose, museum... but then it's probably possible to
adapt some new battery to the old form factor one

jdd
NB: for short circuit risk look at a shorted battery:
http://dodin.org/piwigo/index.php?/tags/88-batteries
(just found in my pocket once)
Old October 15th 12, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

nospam wrote:
In article , tony cooper
wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily in the UK.

I got a "free" android 2 years ago on a 2 year contract. The two years
terminated a few months ago, which meant I was eligible to pick up a
new "free" phone while continuing the same contract. If I had done
nothing but refuse the new phone offer I would have stayed on the same
contract with the old phone.

Some digging behind the marketing bull**** enabled to me to keep the
old phone and drop down to a new much cheaper contract which gives me
the same (actually slightly more) "free" monthly usages. But I had to
make a bit of a fuss to discover that this was a possibility. And then
I had to make more fuss to return an extra which they had (so I
thought) assured me was absolutely free forever and turned out to be
only free for the first few months.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old October 15th 12, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:41:21 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

If I buy a spare camera battery and store it away as a hedge against
obsolescence, would this be a good solution? When the battery of my
1997 mobile phone died, there were no replacement batteries available,
and so I had to buy a new phone!

First accessory I got for my new Panasonic G3 was a pair of batteries.
Not so much so that I'll 'always' have them but to use when I'm out and
exhaust the one in the camera.