Help with missing rainbow

Old November 9th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
tcroyer

Default Help with missing rainbow

Yesterday, after a day or more of constant rain, there appeared in front of
my house a very impressive double rainbow. I grabbed my camera to get a
picture.

When using portrait orientation, I got three really good shots, but when I
changed to landscape, the rainbow faded and disappeared (right in the
optical viewfinder) (mostly -- I can see it very faintly in the processed
image).

What happened?

Camera: Sony A550 with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6. Post processing: Photoshop
Elements 8. Image format: RAW.

Given that I can see traces of the rainbow in the landscape mode shots, the
information must be there, but I can't figure out the PE8 incantations
necessary to bring it out.

Tom Royer
If you're not free to fail, you're not free. -- Gene Burns

Old November 9th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
Alan Browne

On 10-11-09 15:08 , tcroyer wrote:
Yesterday, after a day or more of constant rain, there appeared in front of
my house a very impressive double rainbow. I grabbed my camera to get a
picture.

When using portrait orientation, I got three really good shots, but when I
changed to landscape, the rainbow faded and disappeared (right in the
optical viewfinder) (mostly -- I can see it very faintly in the processed
image).

What happened?

Camera: Sony A550 with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6. Post processing: Photoshop
Elements 8. Image format: RAW.

Given that I can see traces of the rainbow in the landscape mode shots, the
information must be there, but I can't figure out the PE8 incantations
necessary to bring it out.

1. post what you've got so far.

2. Did you over expose?

3. Rainbows come.

4. and rainbows go.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old November 9th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
jkneese

Give this a try:

1. Be sure Layers panel is visible (Window Layers)
2. Click Layers Duplicate Layer (or click Ctrl + J)
3. Click the down arrow next to "Normal" in the blend mode drop-down
4a. Click "Multiply"
4b. Alternately, click "Overlay"
5a. If too dark or colorful, click down arrow by Opacity and adjust slider
5b. If not dark / vidid enough do step 2. again
6. When finished click Layers Merge Visible or Flatten (Shift + Ctrl + E)

Let us know if this helps. Good luck!

Old November 9th 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Giganews" wrote in message

"tcroyer" wrote: (clip) When using portrait orientation, I got three
really good shots, but when I
changed to landscape, the rainbow faded and disappeared (right in the
optical viewfinder) (mostly -- I can see it very faintly in the processed
image).

What happened?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When you say it disappeared in the *optical viewfinder,* do you mean a
through the lens viewfinder, or a separate optical path liker on the old
35mm rangefinder cameras? If it was through the lens, my next question
is, "were you using a polarizing filter?" Did you rotate the camera back
to the portrait orientation to see whether the rainbow came back? I can't
think of anything but a polarizer that could produce such an effect, and
then only of you are viewing through the lens.

I hope the three portrait shots were done in a mode for panoramic
stitching.

Using a polarizing filter would lessen a rainbow under certain
circumstances.

Hopefully he can stitch together the portraits.

Old November 10th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
tcroyer

"Giganews" wrote in message

[...]

Bingo !

Call me an idiot (actually, you're too late, I already did). As soon as I
read "polarizing filter", I knew what had had happened.

Thanks for the inputs.

Tom

Old November 10th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
peter

On 11/9/2010 3:58 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

3. Rainbows come.

4. and rainbows go.

and for only a short time do they show

where they disappear to, does anybody know.

but they do seem brighter when you've had some rum

--
Peter
Old November 10th 10, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
Paul Furman

tcroyer wrote:

[...]

Could I get a little more explanation of this effect? I don't understand
how polarizers effected a rainbow...
Old November 10th 10, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
Peter Chant[_4_]

Paul Furman wrote:

Call me an idiot (actually, you're too late, I already did). As soon as
I read "polarizing filter", I knew what had had happened.

Could I get a little more explanation of this effect? I don't understand
how polarizers effected a rainbow...

Presumably the light diffracted by a rainbow is polarised.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old November 11th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,adobe.photoshop.elements
Robert Coe

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 19:19:11 -0500, "tcroyer" wrote:
: "Giganews" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: "tcroyer" wrote: (clip) When using portrait orientation, I got three
: really good shots, but when I
: changed to landscape, the rainbow faded and disappeared (right in the
: optical viewfinder) (mostly -- I can see it very faintly in the processed
: image).
:
: What happened?
[...]

I guess the takeaway from this story is, "At the end of a shoot, when you
return your camera to grabshot settings, be sure to remove the polarizer!" ;^)

Bob

missing cache of stolen photos - gone missing! Alienjones[_3_] 35mm Photo Equipment 8 April 11th 08 03:09 AM
missing cache of stolen photos - gone missing! Alienjones[_3_] Digital SLR Cameras 8 April 11th 08 03:09 AM
Rainbow? eugene Digital Photography 8 September 7th 07 08:19 PM
Rainbow paul Digital Photography 5 March 9th 05 10:55 AM
Rainbow paul Digital Photography 0 January 13th 05 10:45 PM