KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHT budget?

Old July 10th 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHT budget?

Need a LONG zoom.

Don't want to spend more than $150

Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?
Old July 10th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tcroyer

wrote in message
Need a LONG zoom.

Don't want to spend more than $150

Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

I have one, among other cameras.

It's extremely portable and takes reasonable quality photos. I like that it
uses AA batteries for power instead of proprietary ones.

The software that comes with it is limited, but not useless.

The only knock I'd give it is common to a lot of cameras: glare from bright
sunlight can make using the LCD difficult at times. Fortunately,
after-market shades for the LCD are easy to come by.

I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Old July 11th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:52:04 -0500, me wrote:

Need a LONG zoom.

Don't want to spend more than $150

Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

Many Kodak cameras are available refurbished from the Kodak online store
- might save a few bucks for you.
Old July 11th 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

DanP wrote:

If you are serious about photography then consider the Canon SX120,
you might find a refurbished one for $150.

OK will look into that one as well

and yes.....I'm not against buying used or refurbish by
any means

thanks guys!!

Oh.... one other thing.... a reasonably fast "response"
time between shots would be nice.... is the Canon
faster than the Kodak in that regard?
Old July 18th 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

"tcroyer" wrote:

Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

I have one, among other cameras.

It's extremely portable and takes reasonable quality photos. I like that it
uses AA batteries for power instead of proprietary ones.

Question for the group...

How MUCH "zoom" is good?

I have no idea the practical diff between say 10x vs
15x......

Bottom line.... what is the "sweet spot" on how much
"zoom" will be good enough for say taking long shot
photos at a football game?
Old July 19th 10, 07:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

wrote in message
[]
Question for the group...

How MUCH "zoom" is good?

I have no idea the practical diff between say 10x vs
15x......

Bottom line.... what is the "sweet spot" on how much
"zoom" will be good enough for say taking long shot
photos at a football game?

You're asking the wrong question. Zoom (as you used it) is simply ratio
between the longest and the shortest focal lengths, it does /not/ indicate
the minimum field of view. For that, you need the focal length (typically
expressed as a 35mm equivalent). For some sports, and for bird
photography, 250-300mm may not be enough, and you're looking at 500-800mm.
Fixed focal length lenses may be cheaper than zooms in that range. If you
can't stretch to that, or hold such a lens steady, revise the types of
photos you're going to take, and concentrate on the atmosphere rather than
close-ups of the competitors.

David