Film is not Dead Yet

Old January 19th 12, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

Default Film is not Dead Yet

"Frank S" wrote in message
This is a "why did he even bother?" shot.

This is a "films too expensive to waste on crap like that" shot IMO.

And there's always the "If you don't get it, there's no use in trying to
explain it to you" view.

Right, I don't get it, and it seems I'm not alone.
But don't bother trying to explain it to me, I'm sure the photog had a
reason to use his Hasselblad for something, if only to keep the shutter from
freezing up from non use :-)

Trevor.

Old January 19th 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
Why, to prove that "film is not dead", of course.

Might as well be, I still have some Kodachrome in the fridge and nowhere to
process it :-(

Trevor.

Old January 19th 12, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

charles wrote in
:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...os-southern-ca
lifornia-moments-day-17.html

Jan17_day17_orig

.38 special: Andrew Murr used a Hasselblad 503 with Kodak Portra 160
film to make this image of the Martin B. Retting gun shop on
Washington Boulevard in Culver City.

Rather ho-hum, isn't it though. Also, I see some kind of contour effect in
the sky. What is that?
Old January 19th 12, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

"Trevor" writes:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
Why, to prove that "film is not dead", of course.

Might as well be, I still have some Kodachrome in the fridge and nowhere to
process it :-(

http://www.processc22.co.uk/ "Kodachrome is not dead...only
sleeping!", and then "more soon". They don't seem to be claiming to
have it up yet, but they are claiming intentions that direction it looks
like.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old January 20th 12, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

On 2012-01-17 21:20:58 -0500, charles said:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ts-day-17.html

Jan17_day17_orig

..38

special: Andrew Murr used a Hasselblad 503 with Kodak Portra 160
film to make this image of the Martin B. Retting gun shop on
Washington Boulevard in Culver City.

Looks like the picture you took at the end of the roll just to get the
film out of the camera to get developed.
--
Michael

Old January 20th 12, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-01-17 21:20:58 -0500, charles said:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ts-day-17.html

Jan17_day17_orig

.38

special: Andrew Murr used a Hasselblad 503 with Kodak Portra 160
film to make this image of the Martin B. Retting gun shop on
Washington Boulevard in Culver City.

Looks like the picture you took at the end of the roll just to get the
film out of the camera to get developed.

I've sent in a lot of rolls with unexposed frames just to get the roll
out and developed.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old January 20th 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tcroyer

"Gettamulla Tupya" wrote in message
Film *IS* dead for most applications. Astrophotography is one example of
where film is
still very useful. I can't think of any others at the moment.

How about for those who take the occasional medium format shot but can't
afford $10K+ for a digital 6X7.

I use a Koni-Omega for those purposes.

--
Tom Royer
If you're not free to fail, you're not free. -- Gene Burns

Old January 20th 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

Gettamulla Tupya writes:

Film *IS* dead for most applications. Astrophotography is one example of where film is
still very useful. I can't think of any others at the moment.

Huh; it was my observation that essetially all astrophotography had
moved to CCDs, and that even amateurs were starting to use CCDS for
astro work, that convinced me that film really was going to die. Back
in the early 2000s.
Old January 20th 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

On 2012-01-17 21:20:58 -0500, charles said:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ts-day-17.html
special: Andrew Murr used a Hasselblad 503 with Kodak Portra 160
film to make this image of the Martin B. Retting gun shop on
Washington Boulevard in Culver City.

Looks like the picture you took at the end of the roll just to get the
film out of the camera to get developed.

Probably was, but why post it on-line, and even worse, put his name to it?
:-)

Trevor.

Old January 20th 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

On 2012-01-17 21:20:58 -0500, charles said:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ts-day-17.html
special: Andrew Murr used a Hasselblad 503 with Kodak Portra 160
film to make this image of the Martin B. Retting gun shop on
Washington Boulevard in Culver City.

Looks like the picture you took at the end of the roll just to get the
film out of the camera to get developed.

Probably was, but why post it on-line, and even worse, put his name to it?
:-)

It's no worse than most of the snapshots that individuals send to
their local newspapers. The real issue is, who was the idiot who
selected it for publication?

The "best film shot of the month" pool is small and getting smaller.

--
Chris Malcolm