Kodak gray card

Old May 15th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
t-photo

Default Kodak gray card

I have been told that Tiffin would not produce Kodak gray card
anymore.

Anyone knows which manufacturer got the Kodak license to produce Kodak
Gray Card?

Old May 16th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
t-photo wrote:

I have been told that Tiffin would not produce Kodak gray card
anymore.

Anyone knows which manufacturer got the Kodak license to produce Kodak
Gray Card?

Behr brand paints sold at Home Depot. They have sample cards free for
the taking that are 18% gray scale. Grab a handful and enjoy.

Rita

I used the Home Depot approach myself a few years ago.
I took my Kodak 18% Gray card to Home Depot and had them scan it.
Then I had them make up a quart of 18% Gray Matte paint .
I then bought a sheet of Masonite and painted one side Pure White and
painted the other side 18% Gray.
Then cut the board into pieces 3.5 X 5.0 inches, just perfect for
carrying in your shirt pocket.
Large enough to get a reading from.....Small enough to carry everywhere.
White side for White Balance...... Gray side for exposure.
I gave a couple to all of my photography friends who thought it was the
greatest convenience since sliced bread.
Bob Williams

Old May 16th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Martindale

Bob Williams writes:

I used the Home Depot approach myself a few years ago.
I took my Kodak 18% Gray card to Home Depot and had them scan it.
Then I had them make up a quart of 18% Gray Matte paint .
I then bought a sheet of Masonite and painted one side Pure White and
painted the other side 18% Gray.
Then cut the board into pieces 3.5 X 5.0 inches, just perfect for
carrying in your shirt pocket.
Large enough to get a reading from.....Small enough to carry everywhere.
White side for White Balance...... Gray side for exposure.

It's worth noting that this might not be *quite* the same as a Kodak
grey card. The Kodak card's grey side uses a pigment that is chosen for
spectral neutrality - i.e. it reflects about 18% of all visible
wavelengths. Your home-made grey card uses a paint that appears neutral
grey to the human eye, but might have a reflectance spectrum that is far
from flat (particularly if the colour mixing machine used any cyan,
magenta, or yellow pigment in addition to black).

If so, it's probably not accurate for white balance, and might have
some exposure error under lights that have a spiky spectrum
themselves. The Kodak card's grey side should be good for white
balance and exposure under any light.

You'd have to do some tests under non-incandescent lights to see if your
grey is equivalent to the Kodak grey.

Dave
Old May 16th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Greetings,

The Kodak Gray Card was considered a 'publication' and it along with a
number of other priced publications were sold to the Silver Pixel Press.
They were produced by them for a time and eventually sold to Tiffen.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

oups.com...

Old May 18th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
t-photo

On May 17, 2:47 am, "Ron Baird" wrote:
Greetings,

The Kodak Gray Card was considered a 'publication' and it along with a
number of other priced publications were sold to the Silver Pixel Press.
They were produced by them for a time and eventually sold to Tiffen.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"t-photo" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have been told that Tiffin would not produce Kodak gray card
anymore.

Anyone knows which manufacturer got the Kodak license to produce Kodak
Gray Card?- Hide quoted text -

It seems that Tiffen has supplied the grey card and other Kodak
publication including film cleaner and tissue.

So, any information about who will replace Tiffen for supplying these
items?

Old May 18th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Greetings Rita,

I know that the people responsible for this card when it was at Kodak spent
many thousands of dollars to make sure it was exact and correct.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Dave Martindale wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't the color scanner or whatever they call it to read the sample
color
take all of this into account and compensate for this by changing the
formula accordingly? My take on all of this is it really isn't as
critical
as some people like to make it out to be.

Rita

Old May 22nd 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
t-photo

On May 17, 2:47 am, "Ron Baird" wrote:
Greetings,

The Kodak Gray Card was considered a 'publication' and it along with a
number of other priced publications were sold to the Silver Pixel Press.
They were produced by them for a time and eventually sold to Tiffen.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"t-photo" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have been told that Tiffin would not produce Kodak gray card
anymore.

Anyone knows which manufacturer got the Kodak license to produce Kodak
Gray Card?- Hide quoted text -

Dear Ron Baird,

I have been told yesterday that Kodak Taiwan had sent someone to Hong
Kong searching for Kodak Gray Card, Lens cleaner etc.

It seems that there must be some problem about the supplies.

Kodak needs to do something about this.

fhtong

Old May 22nd 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Greetings,

Not sure if that is true as Kodak no longer makes and hasn't for some time.
It was all turned over to Silver Pixel Press back in 1995 or so. I was an
Editor for Kodak at the time and if I recall correctly, the card and a
number of other priced publications wen that way.

As to Lens cleaner, we also discontinued that a long time ago. There is a
good site that does make cleaners etc. and you can get more information by
going to http://www.photosol.com They have a relatively good product to
clean lenses and screens etc. Worth a look. (not a recommendation of Kodak,
just my reference)

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird

Eastman Kodak Company

"t-photo" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 17, 2:47 am, "Ron Baird" wrote:
Greetings,

The Kodak Gray Card was considered a 'publication' and it along with a
number of other priced publications were sold to the Silver Pixel Press.
They were produced by them for a time and eventually sold to Tiffen.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

oups.com...

Old May 24th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
t-photo

On May 23, 7:45 am, TryinToHelp wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:58:24 -0400, "Ron Baird" wrote:

As to Lens cleaner, we also discontinued that a long time ago. There is a
good site that does make cleaners etc. and you can get more information by
going tohttp://www.photosol.comThey have a relatively good product to
clean lenses and screens etc. Worth a look. (not a recommendation of Kodak,
just my reference)

The best, and I do mean the absolute best, lens cleaner I ever found came from
an unlikely source. It's marketed under the name of "Rexton Optyl-7". You can
get it fromwww.sciplus.comfor $4 for 8 oz. One bottle lasts forever. I divide
it up into some smaller drop-applicators for myself and friends. I still have
over half a bottle left after giving most of it away.

This solution has managed to remove saps and bug juice that no other cleaner
could touch. It's also the first one I found where a deeply multi-coated lens
don't show any signs of streaks after cleaning. Most other cleaners always
manage to leave some kind of minor residue that takes further attempts to remove
it.

p.s. Personally, I see no need for any gray-card these days. With digital
cameras' ability to set white-balance off of any white sheet of paper, and
built-in live histograms, what's the point in having one? Makes no sense
whatsoever. A gray-card is just last-century's necessity due to lack of
technology, now just a bad habit. Maybe they think they are impressing someone
by talking about the quality of their "professional" gray-card? The blind
leading the blind. An 18% gray-card today makes absolutely NO sense in today's
digital camera's tools and necessities.

Your information is good.

Do you know the name of the manufacturer of Rexton Optyl-7?

fhtong

What to use for 18% neutral gray card? DeanB Digital Photography 18 March 29th 07 06:47 PM
gray card leo Digital Photography 16 July 30th 04 10:20 PM
Use of Gray Card (Grey Card) Jonathan Other Photographic Equipment 1 March 26th 04 09:16 PM
Use of Gray Card (Grey Card) Jonathan General Photography Techniques 1 March 26th 04 09:16 PM
Confusions about using Kodak Gray Card Steven Woody 35mm Equipment for Sale 1 August 16th 03 05:41 PM