OT - Uploading photos on a websitte

Old November 10th 04, 01:50 PM
Marcel

Default OT - Uploading photos on a websitte

Hi all!

I'm trying to upload a photo album on my new website, IPowerweb. I had no
problemn with the rest of my Website, except for my albums.

I'm using Photoshop CS to automate the "web photo gallery". Once finished,
Photoshop produces the following sub-folders and files, all in the same
folder (let's call it "gallery02"): "images", "pages", "thumbnails" and a
few files such as "index.htm", "thumbnailframe.htm" and
"userselections.txt".

If I click on "index.htm" on my hard drive, I get an automatic slide show
and it works very well. However, when I upload everything (keeping all
folders, subfolders and files the same), I get a partial truncated view, not
what I get on my hard drive. I use WS_FTP PRO to upload everything,
including my album. I'm on Widows XP, 1 gig of Ram.

Can someone enlighten me, please?

Thanks,

Marcel

Old November 10th 04, 03:23 PM
Owamanga

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:50:12 -0500, "Marcel"
wrote:

[...]

I'll need the website address to see what's wrong.

Possibly your web server is case-sensitive for filenames where Windows
isn't. But I wouldn't have thought Photoshop would have made that
mistake.

--
Owamanga!

Old November 10th 04, 03:49 PM
Marcel

Thanks for answering!

My website is:
http://www.celestart.com
I attempted to upload my photo gallery into "confection_icone", a folder in
which I placed all the subfolders as well as the files produced by
Photoshop:
http://www.celestart.com/images/conf...cone/index.htm

The strange thing is that if I point to a picture, it works:
http://www.celestart.com/images/conf...images/064.jpg

In the same way, I placed my monthly Newsletter for our scuba club:
http://celestart.com/owlmanac/ and that works well.

Marcel
______________________

news

Old November 10th 04, 05:00 PM
Marcel

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message

If you look at the source of this page it says it was created by MS
FrontPage 5.0, not PS. If I try this page in MS IE 6 it gives runtime
errors.

What I did originally was to create the album using Photoshop CS.
After I had all the files created, I transferred them to the website, using
WS_FTP PRO.
This morning, I tried "something" ;-( Using Frontpage, I saved the
"index.htm" and uploaded it. It didn't work either.
Everything I've done so far was created using Netscape 4.75.
Perhaps you can explain to me why the whole thing works on my HD and would
not on the server. Is it not another HD?

Thanks,

Marcel

Old November 10th 04, 06:56 PM
Owamanga

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:00:58 -0500, "Marcel"
wrote:

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
.. .

If you look at the source of this page it says it was created by MS
FrontPage 5.0, not PS. If I try this page in MS IE 6 it gives runtime
errors.

What I did originally was to create the album using Photoshop CS.
After I had all the files created, I transferred them to the website, using
WS_FTP PRO.
This morning, I tried "something" ;-( Using Frontpage, I saved the
"index.htm" and uploaded it. It didn't work either.

Please don't use Frontpage. It'll give you more headaches than help.

Right now, the bottom frame can't find the file 'ThumbnailFrame.htm'
in the directory '/images/confection_icone/'

IFRAMES look terrible, and are not well supported by older browsers.

Everything I've done so far was created using Netscape 4.75.
Perhaps you can explain to me why the whole thing works on my HD and would
not on the server. Is it not another HD?

As both I and Ed have mentioned, the way filenames are interpreted by
the server software is different to how your own PC interprets
filenames on the HD.

Take for example this filename:

MyPicture.jpg

is different to:

MYPICTURE.jpg
MyPiCtUrE.jpg

...as far as the web server is concerned, but on your hard drive, these
are all one file.

...So, if you (or software you use) uploads a file called
'MyPicture.jpg' it is essential that any web pages referring to it,
have *exactly* that as the filename, not 'MYPICTURE.jpg' for example.

Web Servers can be fussy, Windows OS is not.

My policy is to keep all filenames lowercase, avoid spaces in
filenames (use underscores instead) and don't use any funny
characters.

--
Owamanga!
Old November 10th 04, 07:19 PM
Marcel

Thank you Owamanga!
I've reviewed most of the files so far and everything's OK as far as
characters go.
I didn't think I was using IFRAMES... Are these produced by Photoshop CS in
automating the web photo package?
I'm waiting for my copy of Adobe Golive. I suppose that this software
coupled with Photoshop should help me out. I hope so, because I have 1000
megs with my website and I intend to use most of it to post photo albums.
You wrote 'ThumbnailFrame.htm'. How did you know there were those capital
letters? I was looking into it but I'm sure I changed them to lower case.
Anyway, I "ruled" that WS_FTP PRO should change all letters to lower case.
Marcel

Old November 10th 04, 07:23 PM
David J Taylor

Owamanga wrote:
[]
Please don't use Frontpage. It'll give you more headaches than help.

FrontPage is an excellent tool for people who know MS Word and who want to
get a site up-and-running rather than spend their lives learning about the
minutiae of HTML. It handles the case-sensitivity issuse you pointed to,
and provides both page eidting and site management facilities.

There may be better tools, and there are certainly more expensive tools,
but FrontPage is a good all-round product.

Cheers,
David

Old November 10th 04, 08:13 PM
Owamanga

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:23:12 -0000, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Owamanga wrote:
[]
Please don't use Frontpage. It'll give you more headaches than help.

FrontPage is an excellent tool for people who know MS Word and who want to
get a site up-and-running rather than spend their lives learning about the
minutiae of HTML. It handles the case-sensitivity issuse you pointed to,
and provides both page eidting and site management facilities.

There may be better tools, and there are certainly more expensive tools,
but FrontPage is a good all-round product.

Cheers,
David

I admit I rejected it as a piece of **** on it's first release. Maybe
it's better now, but I remember it needed a crap-load of extensions
that weren't standard on Linux website boxes.

--
Owamanga!
Old November 10th 04, 08:56 PM
David J Taylor

Owamanga wrote:
[]
I admit I rejected it as a piece of sh** on it's first release. Maybe
it's better now, but I remember it needed a cr**-load of extensions
that weren't standard on Linux website boxes.

It's matured a lot since the product that Vermeer Technologies released to
the world. It can take advantage of the FrontPage extensions if they are
installed - and they are available for many platforms including UNIX and
LINUX - but they are not essential. For the person who doesn't want to
dig too deeply, FrontPage makes a good starting point.

Cheers,
David