A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old January 13th 18, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,434
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

"nospam" wrote


| or better yet, have a print shop do it.

Very helpful, as usual.

"Just click the printer button, dummy."

"Better yet, go to a print shop."

I'm guessing your next gem of advice will be,
"Try asking someone who knows."


  #22  
Old January 13th 18, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20,959
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

In article , Mayayana
wrote:



| or better yet, have a print shop do it.

Very helpful, as usual.


yep.

"Just click the printer button, dummy."


that's all it takes. it's actually a very simple task.

"Better yet, go to a print shop."


since the original poster has demonstrated he doesn't know what he's
doing (both in this thread and in others), a print shop would be a very
wise choice.

not only will they understand exactly what needs to be done, but the
results will be better since they will have equipment far better than
anything he may have, likely including a large format printer so that
it can be done in one piece.

I'm guessing your next gem of advice will be,
"Try asking someone who knows."


you guessed right.
  #23  
Old January 13th 18, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Ed Cryer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

mick wrote:
On 13/01/2018 12:40:14, Ed Cryer wrote:
Eco Clean wrote:
Windows sign printing freeware?
Does it exist?

Exact example here uploads.im/YpuVv.jpg
To spray paint plastic sign that are on 12 inches x 18 inches white
stock.

Goal is to create a life-sized cutout template on normal 8.5x11" paper.
Then tape template on 12"x18" white plastic stock.
Then spray paint letters of right size with red paint.

If not special sign printing free software is there a trick to print
a real size cutout template with a normal Windows 10 printer of
multiple pages of 8.5x11 inch paper taped together by using a trick
of some kind?

Plan is to spray paint once I tape the life-sized paper templates
over 12x18" plastic stock white boards.


Have you tried any of the online sign-designers? "Design house sign"
under Google gets them. I got mine here;
https://www.designahousesign.com/
Cool! And weathers well.

To get a print of it, I just did a screen-shot.

Ed


Thanks for that link Ed, you've made my day :-)
I was looking yesterday for new house numbers at the local diy shed and
couldn't find any I liked so gave up, never thought of looking for those
sort of websites.


I'm a mine of useful tips! (:-
If you have a dripping tap and you're not sure of the washer size, try
this - I did;
https://goo.gl/YtxuS6

Ed

  #24  
Old January 13th 18, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Zaidy036
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

On 1/12/2018 10:35 PM, Eco Clean wrote:
Windows sign printing freeware?
Does it exist?

Exact example here uploads.im/YpuVv.jpg
To spray paint plastic sign that are on 12 inches x 18 inches white stock.

Goal is to create a life-sized cutout template on normal 8.5x11" paper.
Then tape template on 12"x18" white plastic stock.
Then spray paint letters of right size with red paint.

If not special sign printing free software is there a trick to print a
real size cutout template with a normal Windows 10 printer of multiple
pages of 8.5x11 inch paper taped together by using a trick of some kind?

Plan is to spray paint once I tape the life-sized paper templates over
12x18" plastic stock white boards.

maybe this site will help: http://www.blockposters.com/


--
Zaidy036
  #25  
Old January 13th 18, 09:06 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
pjp[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

In article , am says...

"Eco Clean" wrote

| Anyways, I don't have Paint Shop Pro, but I have Irfanview.
|

You should be able to get PSP5 he

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/do...-shop-pro-5-01

I just downloaded and tried starting the installer.
It worked fine. I bought PSP5 for $100 many years
ago. Since then I've bought PSP16. Unfortunately,
the latter is bloated and clunky. Overproduced.
I still use 5 for basic things. The versions online
seem to be perfectly legal. In fact, at one point
Jasc was giving older versions away with things
like routers, before Corel bought them out.

IrfanView is very good and solid but it lacks
one critical thing: A work window where you can
wortk on multiple images , paste layers, have
multiple undo, etc. IV might be able to cut up
the image, but it's worth having PSP or a similar
editor.

BMP is best. JPG loses data. GIF is 256 colors,
so it might dither.

| Maybe 100 ppi? Using that as an example, you
| would then resize to 1200 x 1800 pixels.
|
| That's the kind of math I was seaking!
|

You just have to match it up to the printer. For
instance, a typical photo should be printed at
least 300 dpi. That means to get a 5x7 print you
need 1500x2100 pixels. It doesn't matter what size
the image is and what dpi the printer is set for.
You just need to coordinate the two so that it
will print the size you intend. 300 dpi will give you
nicer edges on letters, but I guess that probably
doesn't matter much.

| The plan is to print to 8.5x11 paper and thentape it all together, and
then
| put thin sheets of clear 8.5x11 plastic sheets taped together underneath,
| and then cut out the "stencil" with an Exacto knife and then spray the
| signs.


I use a copy of Paintshop Pro 7. Partially because well over a decade or
so ago now I came in possession of a "cracked" copy you can simply copy
and run, That makes it so easy to install with the only issue ever
arising was a "permissions" issue after some Win version upgrade on a
folder that was easily cured. I like it because it's so "clean", small
footprint, fast and full featured and does what I want it to, easily.
I've never found a reason to switch to anything else.
  #26  
Old January 13th 18, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Rene Lamontagne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

On 01/13/2018 2:06 PM, pjp wrote:
In article , am says...

"Eco Clean" wrote

| Anyways, I don't have Paint Shop Pro, but I have Irfanview.
|

You should be able to get PSP5 he

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/do...-shop-pro-5-01

I just downloaded and tried starting the installer.
It worked fine. I bought PSP5 for $100 many years
ago. Since then I've bought PSP16. Unfortunately,
the latter is bloated and clunky. Overproduced.
I still use 5 for basic things. The versions online
seem to be perfectly legal. In fact, at one point
Jasc was giving older versions away with things
like routers, before Corel bought them out.

IrfanView is very good and solid but it lacks
one critical thing: A work window where you can
wortk on multiple images , paste layers, have
multiple undo, etc. IV might be able to cut up
the image, but it's worth having PSP or a similar
editor.

BMP is best. JPG loses data. GIF is 256 colors,
so it might dither.

| Maybe 100 ppi? Using that as an example, you
| would then resize to 1200 x 1800 pixels.
|
| That's the kind of math I was seaking!
|

You just have to match it up to the printer. For
instance, a typical photo should be printed at
least 300 dpi. That means to get a 5x7 print you
need 1500x2100 pixels. It doesn't matter what size
the image is and what dpi the printer is set for.
You just need to coordinate the two so that it
will print the size you intend. 300 dpi will give you
nicer edges on letters, but I guess that probably
doesn't matter much.

| The plan is to print to 8.5x11 paper and thentape it all together, and
then
| put thin sheets of clear 8.5x11 plastic sheets taped together underneath,
| and then cut out the "stencil" with an Exacto knife and then spray the
| signs.


I use a copy of Paintshop Pro 7. Partially because well over a decade or
so ago now I came in possession of a "cracked" copy you can simply copy
and run, That makes it so easy to install with the only issue ever
arising was a "permissions" issue after some Win version upgrade on a
folder that was easily cured. I like it because it's so "clean", small
footprint, fast and full featured and does what I want it to, easily.
I've never found a reason to switch to anything else.


I still have my original Paint Shop Pro 7 Cd and it still loads and runs
fine in windows 10 Creator.
It is like you say one of the best programs I ever bought, Does
everything I want and then some, And no bloat in that one. Small and
efficient, It was written by *Real* coders back then.

Rene

  #27  
Old January 13th 18, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20,959
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

In article , pjp
wrote:


I use a copy of Paintshop Pro 7. Partially because well over a decade or
so ago now I came in possession of a "cracked" copy you can simply copy
and run, That makes it so easy to install with the only issue ever
arising was a "permissions" issue after some Win version upgrade on a
folder that was easily cured. I like it because it's so "clean", small
footprint, fast and full featured and does what I want it to, easily.
I've never found a reason to switch to anything else.


no, you like it because you stole it and didn't have to pay for it.
  #28  
Old January 13th 18, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Big Al
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

On 01/13/2018 11:34 AM, Zaidy036 wrote:
On 1/13/2018 10:50 AM, Eco Clean wrote:
- Sjouke Burry wrote:

Print that as deeply colored(or black) as possible.


My only printer is an old HP laser jet.

The printer isn't the problem because I will cut the letters out.

That makes a stencil.

The problem is how to print to 8.5x11 that scales up to 12x18.


Not sure if this would help but use as 11 x 8.5 instead and print half
on each of two papers. You would only lose 1" width and height giving
0.5" borders.

If you have a photo editing program of any sort that will crop then just
take your 12x18 photo and:
crop the top left quadrant to 8.5x11 and print.
Then crop the top right to 8.5x11 and print.
etc for the 4 quadrants.
They'll overlap but I think you said you didn't mind and would just tape
them together.

At least if I'm reading what you want to do right!

  #29  
Old January 13th 18, 11:41 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

- Mayayana wrote:

You should be able to get PSP5 he
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/do...-shop-pro-5-01


Can you help me with the next step given the BMP file:
[http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...064faba 60af]

1) I created the above newt.bmp from the powerpointe.
2) I installed PSP5.1 as per your link above.
3) I opened up "newt.bmp" in PSP5
4) I hanged the DPI from 72dpi to 100dpi using
FilePreferencesGeneralProgramPreferencesRulersA ndUnits
DefaultResolution = 100 pixels / inch
5) I resized the BMP from to 1152x1728 pixels to 1200x1800 pixels using
ImageResizePixelSize=1200 [maintain aspect ratio of 0.666666666666667:1]
6) That made the "ActualPrintSize=11.520x17.280 at 100pixels/inch
(Don't ask me why that is not an even number of pixels.)
7) FilePrint{choose laster printer with regular paper in it}OK

This is what results.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...a44a2679 3d03

It looks a lot bigger than it should be but maybe it's OK in size.
I measured the printout to be 8 inches wide (+1/4-inch unprintable margins)
so that makes the result 16 inches wide instead of 12 inches wide.?????????

Besides, it's only the top left corner, and it has 1/4 inch margins on all
sides because my printer does not print to the edge of the page.

Why did only the top left corner print?
How do I get the other 3 corners to print?
And why is the size completely wrong?
  #30  
Old January 13th 18, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61
Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

- Eco Clean wrote:

And why is the size completely wrong?


Here is a photo of what the paper looks like next to the sign blank.
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...a35c4149 1ce3


What did I do wrong in following your exact steps?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner? Gernot Hassenpflug Digital Photography 2 September 15th 12 11:24 AM
What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner? Ashton Crusher Digital Photography 7 August 27th 12 05:06 PM
"Corset-Boi" Bob "Lionel Lauer" Larter has grown a "pair" and returned to AUK................ \The Great One\ Digital Photography 0 July 14th 09 12:04 AM
my DIY "home-brewed" digi-cam *macro* lens adapter is successful,mostly (pix at site) dave Digital Photography 1 January 7th 06 10:17 AM
my DIY "home-brewed" digi-cam *macro* lens adapter is successful,mostly (pix at site) dave Other Photographic Equipment 2 January 7th 06 10:17 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.