135mm f/2 'tilt/shift' Nikkor

Old November 16th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default 135mm f/2 'tilt/shift' Nikkor

David Ruether wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

...modified 135mm f/2 Ai Nikkor...
...examples with a tilt/shift Nikkor 85mm f/2.8 PC Micro:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/85_28_pc_micro
My 135/2 is crap for closeups but then it's not $1,300 either.

I am not surprised, as I pointed out years ago in my Nikon evaluation list,
at www.donferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html, about the Nikkor 135mm f2
MF, "4.9 beyond about 10', 3 at minimum focus (3)", and, "heavy and large,
very sharp center to corner at f2 at mid to long distances but with some
very slight field curvature barely detectable [even] at wide stops near infinity;
performance is poor near minimum focus at wide stops (both conditions
together), otherwise this lens is excellent even wide open". In other words,
even within its normal focus range, it is poor as focus approaches its
minimum focus (but superb at medium to long focus points). It will never
be a good macro lens (at least alone - but it may by chance function better
with an achromat on it, though I've never checked this...), unlike the 85mm
f2.8 PC, which is designed to be good at close focus.

The Canon 500D 2-element +2 diopter closeup lens doesn't do very well either. Unfortunately closeups are the most common use for
me although this is pretty interesting. 10' away at 135mm with 1.5x crop is still a face portrait so maybe useful for my plant
portraits, and landscapes hand held (3 hands would be useful) in low light.

That is the achromat I used successfully on the original Nikkor 80-200mm
f2.8, which at 200mm has similar shortcomings to the 135mm f2 at close
focus - but that combination was sharp when stopped down some (though
it was too cumbersome in practice to get very excited about it - the late
200mm f4 Nikkor was FAR easier to use, and quite good for macro work
[tiny insect photo here www.donferrario.com/ruether/200mm-as-macro.htm,
at 3X]).

The way I have it set up now, there's really no way to put it on a
tripod or stop it down, I only checked wide open & I only really ever
used it wide open & never found it sharp at any distance so I guess
that's why. BTW I found a good price on a mint 85/2.8 TS but I may just
pass it along, the tilt & shift are awfully subtle, though I guess the
tilts I'm doing with this 135 are beyond reasonableness. The 85/ts only
goes to 1/2 life size though I certainly cannot complain about the
sharpness, the 105 seems to keep up there. With about 40mm of extension
and the +2 diopter the 85 still doesn't quite get to life size.