FZ20 Lens Movement

Old March 24th 05, 11:06 AM

Default FZ20 Lens Movement

Hi,

Just been playing with my new FZ20 and noticed that there is a
noticeable radial lens movement - laterally and vertically (in fact in
all directions) when the lens is extended after switching on. This
movement is in the order of 2-3mm. It is not a lens movement in or out
of the camera. The entire lens, with all the lens elements, seems to
move at the same time can be moved with very little force - I noticed
it with the briefest of touches.

Pictures appear to be OK.

Is this a normal movement??? - or should I take the camera back to
whence it came from???

TVMIA

Old March 25th 05, 09:10 AM
David J Taylor

ABC wrote:
You do not get this with film SLR lens. Much more precisely built.

The design of the lens is simply different - are there any film SLRs with
lenses that extend from the body at switch on? I think not.

The sensor size in ZLR cameras is a lot smaller and the tolerances
consequently smaller, probably calling for greater absolute precision
during manufacture.

Cheers,
David

Old March 25th 05, 09:18 PM
un

David J Taylor wrote:
ABC wrote:
You do not get this with film SLR lens. Much more precisely built.

The design of the lens is simply different - are there any film SLRs with
lenses that extend from the body at switch on? I think not.

There are film ZLRs such as the olympus IS-3 that have such a lens that
extends (although not all the way) at power on. However, the lens was
designed to support teleconverters (such as the tcon 1.7x) and is much
more stable.

Old March 25th 05, 09:48 PM
Bill Again

"un" wrote in message
David J Taylor
wrote:
ABC wrote:
You do not get this with film SLR lens. Much more precisely built.

The design of the lens is simply different - are there any film SLRs with
lenses that extend from the body at switch on? I think not.

There are film ZLRs such as the olympus IS-3 that have such a lens that
extends (although not all the way) at power on. However, the lens was
designed to support teleconverters (such as the tcon 1.7x) and is much
more stable.

I have old (15 - 20 years) film SLRs that are still totally in order. They
are somewhat battered and scratched but in good working order. It is clear
that none of my digital cameras will ever reach this condition. Why is this?
Building a camera to use digital capture does not mean that it has be to
fragile.

Robert R.