Canon Powershot S1 SI -- opinions & experiences wanted...........

Old January 28th 05, 01:35 PM
Barry Lee

Default Canon Powershot S1 SI -- opinions & experiences wanted...........

I'm interested in opinions of any Canon Powershot S1 SI owners out there?
Were you satisfied? Pleasently surprised? What things might you do
differently? I am thinking of purchasing one here in Canada.

Thanx, in advance.

BL

Old January 28th 05, 11:06 PM
Barry Lee

When is the S2 coming out?

Old January 29th 05, 02:36 AM
Michael Meissner

"Barry Lee" writes:

When is the S2 coming out?

There is a big photo show at the end of February/beginning of March when a lot
of camera makers announce new products. Since the price of the S1 has been
falling recently, and it was announced at last years show, I suspect a new
model is soon to be introduced. Of course it will take time for the new model
to get to the stores....

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old February 3rd 05, 01:21 AM
Jan Otto Ruud

"Barry Lee" wrote in message
I'm interested in opinions of any Canon Powershot S1 SI owners out there?
Were you satisfied? Pleasently surprised? What things might you do
differently? I am thinking of purchasing one here in Canada.

I have one. I am generally very satisfied with it. On a recent holiday trip
to Tenerife I took a lot of pictures and most of them came out very well.
The main problem with the camera is low light focusing, but to cure that I
have saved a custom setting with hyperfocal setting that I use for low light
conditions.

I would recommend the camera, but you have to be aware of the limitations. I
think that all ZLR cameras are a result of compromises and none of them are
perfect. As alternatives to the S1IS you might have a look at the Panasonic
FZ cameras which seems to have a lot of satisfied users.

--
Jan Otto

Old February 3rd 05, 09:11 AM
David J Taylor

Jan Otto Ruud wrote:
[]
I would recommend the camera, but you have to be aware of the
limitations. I think that all ZLR cameras are a result of compromises
and none of them are perfect. As alternatives to the S1IS you might
have a look at the Panasonic FZ cameras which seems to have a lot of
satisfied users.

All cameras are the result of compromises, not just ZLRs!

Fortumately (?), if you want image stabilisation (which I would now never
want to be without) the range of choice is much less that with other
cameras. The 3MP S1 IS is at the lower cost end and uses CF cards and AA
batteries, the Panasonic range uses SD cards and Li-ion batteries, and the
8MP Nikon 8800 is at the expensive end of the range.

We have a 5MP Panasonic FZ20 and are very pleased with it - although
having a full swivel LCD finder like the Nikon would be nice.

Cheers,
David

Old February 3rd 05, 09:49 AM
Robert Klemme

"Jan Otto Ruud" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Barry Lee" wrote in message
I'm interested in opinions of any Canon Powershot S1 SI owners out

there?
Were you satisfied? Pleasently surprised? What things might you do
differently? I am thinking of purchasing one here in Canada.

I have one. I am generally very satisfied with it. On a recent holiday

trip
to Tenerife I took a lot of pictures and most of them came out very

well.
The main problem with the camera is low light focusing, but to cure that

have saved a custom setting with hyperfocal setting that I use for low

light
conditions.

You made me curious: what about low light shooting apart from the
focusing? What about noise at higher ISO? Thx!

Kind regards

robert

Old February 3rd 05, 05:08 PM
J.S.Pitanga

[Jan Otto Ruud:]
I think that all ZLR cameras are a result
of compromises

Dear Jan,

ZLRs (standing for "Zoom Lens Reflex") are reflex cameras, and thus to
discuss them on this group is off-topic.

Besides, this group is strictly dedicated to spread, support and further
the marketing lie that EVFs are reflex cameras, so that as many people as
possible pay high for an EVF thinking that it is a reflex camera.

Therefore, you are strictly forbidden to discuss anything serious or
informative on this group, which would be a severe violation of its
charter.

The best,

Julio.
Old February 3rd 05, 05:25 PM
J.S.Pitanga

[David J Taylor]
The 3MP S1 IS is at the lower cost end
and uses CF cards and AA batteries,

Dear David,

As you should know, the Canon S1 IS does not have a hot-shoe, and thus it
is strictly forbidden even to mention its name on this newsgroup,
according to your own explanation of its charter.

Besides, instead of engaging in off-topic subjects, you should concentrate
your efforts towards the fulfilment of the main purpose of this newsgroup,
to wit, to spread, support and further the market lie that EVFs are reflex
cameras, so that more and more misinformed people keep paying higher for
them.

If you stick diligently to your disinterested mission, you are for sure
going to receive the 2005 Photographic Industry Award "The Useful Idiot of
the Year".

Please send us invitations!

The best,

Julio.

Old February 6th 05, 01:42 PM
VK

J.S.Pitanga wrote:
Besides, this group is strictly dedicated to spread, support and

further
the marketing lie that EVFs are reflex cameras, so that as many

people as
possible pay high for an EVF thinking that it is a reflex camera.

Dude, get a ****ing life.

VK