Wax-Based Printers?

Old January 27th 08, 12:16 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
N[_5_]

Default Wax-Based Printers?

"tony cooper" wrote in message

I just sent one of those drugstore 4 x 6 albums to my brother in
Denmark. There were 64 4 x 6's of shots of the family in 2007. I
uploaded the 64 images to Walgreen's website, picked up the prints the
next morning, and paid $6.40 plus sales tax.

The postage to Denmark was more than the cost of the album and prints.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Why didn't you upload the pictures to a Danish printer?

Old January 27th 08, 12:31 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

"N" wrote in message
"tony cooper" wrote in message

I just sent one of those drugstore 4 x 6 albums to my brother in
Denmark. There were 64 4 x 6's of shots of the family in 2007. I
uploaded the 64 images to Walgreen's website, picked up the prints the
next morning, and paid $6.40 plus sales tax.

The postage to Denmark was more than the cost of the album and prints.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Why didn't you upload the pictures to a Danish printer?

My thoughts exactly!

Old January 27th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per tony cooper:
I print a lot of my stuff at home on an Epson, but it takes too long
to print 20 or 30 images when I'm sending out family snaps to
relatives.

Might the el-cheapo printers/ink I use - but my experience is
that the pix also fade badly within a year or so.

OTOH, I've got perfectly-serviceable prints from 40+ years ago
made by whatever the commercial process is/was.
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 27th 08, 02:07 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:16:25 +1100, "N" wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .

I just sent one of those drugstore 4 x 6 albums to my brother in
Denmark. There were 64 4 x 6's of shots of the family in 2007. I
uploaded the 64 images to Walgreen's website, picked up the prints the
next morning, and paid $6.40 plus sales tax.

The postage to Denmark was more than the cost of the album and prints.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Why didn't you upload the pictures to a Danish printer?

Several reasons. I like to see the prints. I wanted to present them
in an album. I included some handwritten notes. I don't know the
neighborhoods well enough to know how convenient any shop over there
is. And, mostly, it doesn't seem very classy to say "Here's some pix.
You go get 'em."

If the easiest and cheapest alternative was a consideration, I could
have uploaded them and him view online or print them himself.

For $13, I'll pop for postage.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 27th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald[_2_]

Walgreen's, and other drug stores around, allow you to upload the
images from your home and pick up the prints that day or the next day.
They recently had a 10 cents a print special for 20 or more prints.

But the Walgreen's around here won;t print what you send them.
It's impossible. They apply "levels" to the image so that it runs from
0 to 255 intensity.

CVS will print what you send, but the nearest store has a printer
that screws around with yellows! The farthest CVS will print what you
send, and turn out OK.

What a pain.

Doug McDonald
Old January 27th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:28:44 -0600, Doug McDonald
wrote:

Walgreen's, and other drug stores around, allow you to upload the
images from your home and pick up the prints that day or the next day.
They recently had a 10 cents a print special for 20 or more prints.

But the Walgreen's around here won;t print what you send them.
It's impossible. They apply "levels" to the image so that it runs from
0 to 255 intensity.

CVS will print what you send, but the nearest store has a printer
that screws around with yellows! The farthest CVS will print what you
send, and turn out OK.

What a pain.

I tried a couple of different places, and found that one particular
Walgreen's - which happens to be close to me - does a very good job.
The only complaint I have is that they crop images even though I send
them sized to 4 x 6. I'm used to what they do now, and I compensate
for it in my preparation.

I did get one bad batch, but they redid them for free and they turned
out fine.

We send a lot of family snaps to relatives with two young
grandchildren. I print our copies, and send out relative's copies.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida