Workshop with Keith Lazelle

Old August 8th 04, 03:04 PM
Donald Patrylow

Default Workshop with Keith Lazelle

Wow! After reading this whole thread, I am amazed at the sarcastic,
pessimistic, and ill-informed (about the environment) messages in it. If
you don't care about nature and nature photography, please leave. You're
looking might foolish.

Don Patrylow

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
link.net...
"Information" wrote

Goons are in the eye of the beholder...

Oh, so right. More than one beholder, though. Off hand,
most folks would not say you are 'It'.

and some folks in this world suffer from 20/20 blindness.

And why do you think _your_ vision is any good?

One thing good about this board...it exposes just how ignorant some

folks
are.

Bingo.

When I see their names, I respond back

You respond back based only on names? Must be that vision thing.

then don't bother to read their posts again.

Oooh, promise?

Consider this message a CC to the other folks who expressed like

stupidity
to this post.

Damn straight. Serves 'em right.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Old August 8th 04, 06:37 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Donald Patrylow
wrote:

Wow! After reading this whole thread, I am amazed at the sarcastic,
pessimistic, and ill-informed (about the environment) messages in it. If
you don't care about nature and nature photography, please leave. You're
looking might foolish.

Maybe we care, but realize that there has to be a balance. If you want
to wipe your ass on toilet paper, somebody has to cut down some trees
somewhere. Trees are just plants...we can grow more of them.
Old August 8th 04, 07:43 PM
Gregory Blank

In article ,
Randall Ainsworth wrote:

Maybe we care, but realize that there has to be a balance. If you want
to wipe your ass on toilet paper, somebody has to cut down some trees
somewhere. Trees are just plants...we can grow more of them.

Depends on which trees, besides paper can be:

a) recycled
b) made from lots of other organic materials not just trees.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old August 8th 04, 10:15 PM
Tudor Bosman

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
Maybe we care, but realize that there has to be a balance. If you want
to wipe your ass on toilet paper, somebody has to cut down some trees
somewhere. Trees are just plants...we can grow more of them.

In truth, most paper these days is produced on managed farms, and not
old-growth forests. These are trees that wouldn't have been planted if
it hadn't been for the paper industry.

-Tudor.

--
To reply by email, remove two L's from "freLLlling"
Old August 9th 04, 02:37 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Tudor Bosman
wrote:

In truth, most paper these days is produced on managed farms, and not
old-growth forests. These are trees that wouldn't have been planted if
it hadn't been for the paper industry.

And who is logging your precious old growth forests? Nobody in these
parts.

Old August 9th 04, 03:30 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"John" wrote in message m...
May I ask a civil question (because I really don't understand)?:

Why would ANYONE be against preserving the environment?

BECAUSE IT COSTS MONEY AND JOBS, DICKHEAD!

Why do factory jobs keep going oversees, dumbass? Environmental
regulations and unions.

I'm really very curious - I've never met anyone personally who felt that way
(particularly who was so virulent about it), so would like to understand. I
would greatly appreciate it if you'd take the time to explain your position,
seriously.

- John

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , Information
wrote:

There are no oil rigs in Yellowstone and nobody is proposing to put
them there.
No, you're not packs of goons...just a bunch of elitist liberals.

Old August 9th 04, 03:41 AM
Tudor Bosman

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
And who is logging your precious old growth forests? Nobody in these
parts.

I stated a fact. Logging is mostly done for construction, with firewood
a distant second. Paper manufacturing is out of the picture.

I'm a liberal with the feet on the ground. I think science and
technology should liberate, and not burden us; I think we need to
distance ourselves from issues and look at them with a cool eye. I
dislike both the self-serving interests of the right, and the incessant
nay saying of the left. Environment is an important issue, but by far
not the only one; policy and decision-making are about striking a
balance between the damage that we inflict, and the benefits that we get
in return.

You care about trees? Put your money where your mouth is; go out there
and plant a few. On the other hand- do you know that there are about 3
times as many trees in the US now than in the 1920s (in part thanks to
the environmentalist movement, no doubt)? Perhaps it's time to focus on
other things.

Worried about oil drilling in Alaska? Nuclear power IS safe[1], and we
have the technology to keep the waste in storage for some 10,000 years
or so. Get over your silly fears and maybe we won't need to drill there.

I see no problem with a photographer leading people on a tour through a
natural preserve. I'm sure there are plenty of photo opportunities in
there, and if you think it's worth it to pay $50 to avoid dealing with
permits and government officials, then go ahead.

What I see a problem with is someone (photographer or not, of either
liberal or conservative persuasion) spewing lies and twisting the facts
about the environment under the pretext of a photographic workshop. But
this is nothing but a hypothetical scenario, of course, and I have no
reason to suspect Mr Lazelle of doing so.

-Tudor.

[1] Before y'all start: yes, there have been accidents; yes, people have
died. This is true for pretty much any kind of technology, and nuclear
reactor technology has advanced significantly since Chernobyl and Long
Mile Island; Pebble bed reactors
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_bed_reactor) can't melt down by design.

--
To reply by email, remove two L's from "freLLlling"