Woodworking and the Darkroom

Old April 10th 04, 01:36 PM
Nick Zentena

Default Woodworking and the Darkroom

jjs wrote:

I have a compilation of articles of pre-electricity woodworking
techniques. It's downright humbling what they did.

Some still do.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~alf/en/en.html

It's nice to put a 100 year old tool back to work.

time. I don't mean to drift, but it's worth mentioning that wood dust is
bad stuff for the lungs. Take care out there.

And some is worse then others. People worry about photo chemicals but some
types of wood will do more damage to you.

Nick
Old April 10th 04, 03:14 PM
NapperWm

I'm planning on building a darkroom in our basement, but also use it (the
basement, that is) for woodworking, which creates a ton of dust. How do
people marry these two hobbies?

It can be done! My darkroom is in the corner of the outside woodworking shed.
Shed is 24x24 with 7x12 dedicated to darkroom. I have two cheap box fans
suspended from ceiling with standard HVAC 20x20 filters taped to the fronts.
Keep them on low speed all of the time and they do an amazing job of getting
most of the sawdust out of the air.
But like everyone else said, dust will still find its way onto your negative!
Hey, last location for darkroom was in the pool shed! Only a darkroom at night!
I'm moving up!
Old April 11th 04, 12:05 AM
Norman Worth

I don't have any fancy darkroom dust filters, but I do use the woodshop dust
collector faithfully and I vacuum up the stray dust and sawdust immediately.
Some other things: My darkroom door does not open into the woodshop area.
It did, but I fixed that. I use a lot of black polyethylene to block light
leaks in the ceiling (joists) and the walls. It works fine for the intended
purpose, but it also keeps down the dust. I keep my negatives in protective
sleeves when not using them, and I check them carefully for dust when I do.
I generally do not have a problem, but being paranoid is worthwhile.

"Wayne" wrote in message
I'm planning on building a darkroom in our basement, but also use it (the
basement, that is) for woodworking, which creates a ton of dust. How do
people marry these two hobbies? I've thought of wrapping the entire

darkroom
in Saran Wrap or some such thing... Any thoughts?

TIA,

Wayne

Old April 11th 04, 06:28 PM
John

On 10 Apr 2004 14:14:02 GMT, (NapperWm) wrote:

It can be done!

And I can run for president as well. Unfortunately the
liklihood of success is minimal on both accounts.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer -
http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old April 11th 04, 06:30 PM
John

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:05:32 GMT, "Norman Worth"
wrote:

I use a lot of black polyethylene to block light
leaks in the ceiling (joists) and the walls. It works fine for the intended
purpose, but it also keeps down the dust.

Might also work as a dust magnet of sorts as well given
plastics high level of static.

Old April 12th 04, 12:43 AM
NapperWm

Darkroom and woodshop sharing the basement???
It can be done!

And I can run for president as well. Unfortunately the
liklihood of success is minimal on both accounts.

Hey!!!!!

Napper for President!
Better choice than Kerry!

Bill
Old April 12th 04, 03:31 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 4/11/2004 4:43 PM NapperWm spake thus:

Darkroom and woodshop sharing the basement???
It can be done!
And I can run for president as well. Unfortunately the
liklihood of success is minimal on both accounts.

Hey!!!!!

Napper for President!

Are you a napper like The Gipper was a napper?

--
My coffee was beginning to wear off and with it the momentary illusion
it gives that things are Right and life is Good.

- James Thurber, from the short story _The Black Magic of Barney Haller_