OT? Facebook "Wall" Pix Downloadable?

Old April 11th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default OT? Facebook "Wall" Pix Downloadable?

On 2012-04-11 06:23:44 -0700, Bruce said:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Bruce:
Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
own copies.

They are his images, not yours. His copyright, not yours. You are
not legally entitled to any images made of you in a public space.

However, It seems that the Facebook account holder, who placed these
images out in public has technically waived his copyright.

The Facebook user has not waived his or her copyright, either
"technically" (whatever that means) or otherwise. It is a breach of
copyright to take and/or use images from the web unless the copyright
owner expressly permits it.

Common sense should tell you not to post anything online that you
don't want other people to copy or use, but placing files on a web
site is not in itself an invitation to take and/or use unless that is
specifically stated.

All true. However, the very vague Facebook TOS can mislead, and has
misled many of its subscribers. The issue here is the account holder in
this case might not have dug within the sharing options for his "Wall
Photos" to set them as view only. If the poster hasn't done it,
Facebook seems to have stripped all but the basic EXIF data from these
images.
So the only conclusion the casual browser can come to is, this poster
is sharing his images freely, or he is ignorant of methods of
protecting his rights within Facebook's Byzantine labyrinth of TOS
privacy settings.

Personally, since I am not a Pro, when I share images on line I will
minimally ID my claim to copyright in the EXIF data, and while I am
aware that this can be altered, I would only become troubled if I
discovered one of my images used by a plagiarizer, or in the unlikely
event of some publication using one of my images without permission, or
without stating attribution.

I have no issue sharing some of the fruits of my hobby with others, but
I choose my method, and that does not include Facebook:
http://db.tt/KsaqweC1

I guess that is why it is called sharing, some of us are comfortable
doing it, some are not.

Savageduck

Old April 11th 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per George Kerby:
I opened the link to several pictures of a guy and guys on water. I take it
that you are the guy with the red coat/jacket? I clicked on the upper left
file and drug to my desktop. File 559074...270.jpg opens without any problem
in Preview on a Mac using Safari.

That's the answer: user RCI..... worked for me too, now that I
know what to do.

I didn't mean to start a legal discussion. Trust me: this guy
*wants* me to have these pics. He just doesn't have the
technical savvy to just email them to me.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 12th 12, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-11 16:23:20 -0700, Bruce said:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per George Kerby:
I opened the link to several pictures of a guy and guys on water. I take it
that you are the guy with the red coat/jacket? I clicked on the upper left
file and drug to my desktop. File 559074...270.jpg opens without any problem
in Preview on a Mac using Safari.

That's the answer: user RCI..... worked for me too, now that I
know what to do.

I didn't mean to start a legal discussion. Trust me: this guy
*wants* me to have these pics. He just doesn't have the
technical savvy to just email them to me.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who can upload images to
Facebook would have any difficulty attaching the same images to an
email message.

Amazing!
We agree again.

Savageduck

Old April 12th 12, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-11 18:34:26 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:36:36 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-04-11 16:23:20 -0700, Bruce said:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per George Kerby:
I opened the link to several pictures of a guy and guys on water. I take it
that you are the guy with the red coat/jacket? I clicked on the upper left
file and drug to my desktop. File 559074...270.jpg opens without any problem
in Preview on a Mac using Safari.

That's the answer: user RCI..... worked for me too, now that I
know what to do.

I didn't mean to start a legal discussion. Trust me: this guy
*wants* me to have these pics. He just doesn't have the
technical savvy to just email them to me.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who can upload images to
Facebook would have any difficulty attaching the same images to an
email message.

Amazing!
We agree again.

Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

....and we reach a different point of agreement.

Yup! I don't have Facebook, or Twitter accounts and I do not feel
deprived in anyway.

Savageduck

Old April 12th 12, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

what an idiotic comment and why am i not surprised.
Old April 12th 12, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bruce:
I find it difficult to believe that anyone who can upload images to
Facebook would have any difficulty attaching the same images to an
email message.

So do I - but there it is.

I didn't want to prod him, but the first thing that came to my
mind is that he uploaded them and then lost track of where the
originals were.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 12th 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per tony cooper:
Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

Everybody I know who has a small business has a Facebook account
- and some of them are stone technophobes, so I'm guessing they
see value in it.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 12th 12, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

Everybody I know who has a small business has a Facebook account
- and some of them are stone technophobes, so I'm guessing they
see value in it.

A lot of people think they should do something because "everybody" is
doing it.

some do but not as much as you think.

If Facebook suddenly disappeared, would it affect them,
though?

yes.
Old April 12th 12, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bruce:

Someone needs a slap.

If you're talking about the guy who took the photos, don't look
at me!.... he weighs around 300# and is an avid athlete.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 13th 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 4/12/12 12:59 AM, in article ,
"nospam" wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

Personally, I think it is amazing that anyone has anything to with
Facebook once they are old enough for the acne to clear up.

what an idiotic comment and why am i not surprised.

That's Tony!