OT? Facebook "Wall" Pix Downloadable?

Old April 10th 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Default OT? Facebook "Wall" Pix Downloadable?

I'm logged on as a Facebook user and I can see the thumbnails of
somebody's "Wall" photos.

But when I click on one it goes grey and throws a sort of
progress icon, but nothing further happens.

Is there any way to download the original photo?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 10th 12, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I'm logged on as a Facebook user and I can see the thumbnails of
somebody's "Wall" photos.

But when I click on one it goes grey and throws a sort of
progress icon, but nothing further happens.

Is there any way to download the original photo?

Pete-

I'm not a member, but a group I belong to is on Facebook.

I went to their Facebook web page and clicked on a wall picture at the
top of the screen. It took me to a page with several pictures, each of
which was a collection of more pictures. At one of the collections I
clicked on one of the pictures, and it came up in a larger size. At the
lower right corner of the picture was the word, Options. One of the
options was to download the picture.

It happened to be one of my photos, and the copy I downloaded was 3.1
megapixels. The original was 10 megapixels, so it had been downsized.
However that may be the best you can do.

Fred
Old April 10th 12, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Fred McKenzie:
At one of the collections I
clicked on one of the pictures, and it came up in a larger size. At the
lower right corner of the picture was the word, Options. One of the
options was to download the picture.

Thanks for the validation.

Sounds like that functionality is, at the moment, broken for me.
Guess I'll wait a few days and see what happens.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 10th 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Sounds like that functionality is, at the moment, broken for me.
Guess I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

Pete-

You might also try a different web browser.

Fred
Old April 11th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Fred McKenzie:

You might also try a different web browser.

Tried Chrome 18.0.1025.152 m and IE 8.0.6001 - same results.

Anybody doing this successfully? Browser Name/Version?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 11th 12, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bruce:
Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
own copies.

The privacy settings angle rings true to me and I'm going to ping
him on it.

The problem link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Extrem...96676&type= 3

or: http://tinyurl.com/7csokwv
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 11th 12, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 4/11/12 8:17 AM, in article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Bruce:
Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
own copies.

The privacy settings angle rings true to me and I'm going to ping
him on it.

The problem link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Extrem...6?sk=photos#!/
media/set/?set=a.126654330754648.35664.107900719296676&type= 3

or: http://tinyurl.com/7csokwv

I don't see what your problem is.

I opened the link to several pictures of a guy and guys on water. I take it
that you are the guy with the red coat/jacket? I clicked on the upper left
file and drug to my desktop. File 559074...270.jpg opens without any problem
in Preview on a Mac using Safari.

I would agree with Bruce tho. You have NO right to take others' images w/o
their permission. In your case, since you ARE the subject, I can see NO
reason why the shooter would not want to give you the files that would
obviously be a LOT better than the compressed low-res that FB puts up.

Good luck, and happy sailing!

Old April 11th 12, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-11 06:17:36 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" said:

Per Bruce:
Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
own copies.

The privacy settings angle rings true to me and I'm going to ping
him on it.

The problem link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Extrem...96676&type= 3

or:

http://tinyurl.com/7csokwv

For starters, I don't use Facebook. I don't have a FB account.
I was able to access the url you posted. I was able to click on any of
the images, which then opened in a larger window. At the bottom right,
under the image was a tag, "Options".
Clicking on "Options" gave me the option to "Download".
I clicked on "Download" and successfully download the image I had selected.

This whole issue seems to be related to the privacy settings made by
the account holder. In this case this particular page was made "public"
and the ability to "Download" any of the images was unrestricted.

Savageduck

Old April 11th 12, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-04-11 06:23:44 -0700, Bruce said:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Bruce:
Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
own copies.

They are his images, not yours. His copyright, not yours. You are
not legally entitled to any images made of you in a public space.

However, It seems that the Facebook account holder, who placed these
images out in public has technically waived his copyright. Maybe
intentionally, maybe not.

I don't have a Facebook account, so from their point of view I am a
complete outsider, yet the page has been made available to all.
Obviously the account holder has set his privacy options to allow this
public access. Regarding the images, he has not made them "view only"
or protected them in any way. He has in fact given the public and
option to download his images, thereby implying fair use of the images.

Now this certainly might not have been his intent. He might well have
thought that his images were in some way protected and that he had not
waived any of his rights.
....but he might well have just intended to share the images on his
"Wall Photos" page with anybody who cared to look.

Privacy settings and waiving of rights has been a major Facebook issue
from the beginning. Just another of the reasons I have never had a
Facebook account. I want my options made very clear, and I don't care
to automatically waive any rights I might have, just by opening an
account.

Savageduck