Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z3 vs. Panasonic Lumix FZ20

Old August 27th 04, 08:15 PM
Atreju

Default Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z3 vs. Panasonic Lumix FZ20

Now I am down to these two.

The things I like about the Minolta Z3:
battery type
brand (it is kind of important to me)

The things I like about the Lumix FZ20:
lens type (more aperature at higher zooms)
AF assist lamp

I cannot see too many other differences that I can count as
ultra-important. The image quality reviews have been slightly in favor
of the Minolta, but I know those things are just nitpicking.

Anyone have any experience with either/both of these?

Thanks.

---Atreju---
Old August 27th 04, 08:20 PM
Atreju

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:15:42 GMT, Atreju
wrote:

Now I am down to these two.

The things I like about the Minolta Z3:
battery type
brand (it is kind of important to me)

The things I like about the Lumix FZ20:
lens type (more aperature at higher zooms)
AF assist lamp

I cannot see too many other differences that I can count as
ultra-important. The image quality reviews have been slightly in favor
of the Minolta, but I know those things are just nitpicking.

Anyone have any experience with either/both of these?

Thanks.

---Atreju---

Sorry to answer my own question, but since the Lumix is approx. twice
the price (gadzooks!) I guess I think I'm going to stick with the
Minolta.

---Atreju---

Old August 29th 04, 02:09 AM
Ray

Twice the price?? How do you figure that. Beware the super price sellers are
usually bogus unless you opt for "high priced accessories".

Ray

Old August 29th 04, 05:03 PM
listener

Atreju wrote in
:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:09:41 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

Twice the price?? How do you figure that. Beware the super price
sellers are usually bogus unless you opt for "high priced
accessories".

Ray

SNIP

Indeed, I have decided not to go with some of these places that are
offering it for so cheap. There's got to be a catch.

However, still the Z3 is approximately $500 and the Lumix is $600.
My budget was originally for around $350 so I'm really splurging for
the Z3. I'm willing to do it, because it is the only one that looks
good enough for what I want. However, the Lumix is just way too much.

I'm sure in a few years I will shop around for a really really snazzy
thing if I find myself taking lots of pictures and if I need more than
I already have with the Z3.

---Atreju---

FYI, I ordered a Panny FZ20 from Circuit City Online for $539.

L.

Old August 29th 04, 05:22 PM
Nostrobino

wrote:

Twice the price?? How do you figure that. Beware the super price sellers

are
usually bogus unless you opt for "high priced accessories".

Ray

SNIP

Indeed, I have decided not to go with some of these places that are
offering it for so cheap. There's got to be a catch.

However, still the Z3 is approximately $500 and the Lumix is $600.
My budget was originally for around $350 so I'm really splurging for
the Z3. [ . . . ]

Well, you can do a bit better than $500. Newegg.com is selling the Z3 for
$469 with free FedEx shipping (and no sales tax, in most states). Newegg is
excellent to deal with, 100% reliable and very fast shipping in my
experience, and I've bought a lot of stuff from them including digital
cameras.

Of course the Z3 is brand new and the price is bound to come down over the
next several months. That's always the case with these things, whatever
you're buying.

The Z3 does look great. I'm especially glad to see they dumped that
flipping-mirror thingy in the earlier Z models.

N.

Old August 29th 04, 05:45 PM
lindyhop

wrote:

Now I am down to these two.

The things I like about the Minolta Z3:
battery type
brand (it is kind of important to me)

The things I like about the Lumix FZ20:
lens type (more aperature at higher zooms)
AF assist lamp

I cannot see too many other differences that I can count as
ultra-important. The image quality reviews have been slightly in favor
of the Minolta, but I know those things are just nitpicking.

Anyone have any experience with either/both of these?

Thanks.

---Atreju---

Sorry to answer my own question, but since the Lumix is approx. twice
the price (gadzooks!) I guess I think I'm going to stick with the
Minolta.

A better comparison would be the 4 megapixel Z3 and the Lumix FZ15 which is
virtually the same as the FZ20, but with 4 megapixels instead of 5. I
believe list price for the FZ15 is $500.

---

Old August 30th 04, 05:07 AM
Steven Whatley

listener wrote:
Atreju wrote in
Indeed, I have decided not to go with some of these places that are
offering it for so cheap. There's got to be a catch.

However, still the Z3 is approximately $500 and the Lumix is $600.
My budget was originally for around $350 so I'm really splurging for
the Z3. I'm willing to do it, because it is the only one that looks
good enough for what I want. However, the Lumix is just way too much.

FYI, I ordered a Panny FZ20 from Circuit City Online for $539.

My FZ20 from CC arives on Tuesday. I got it for $539 as well but
unfornately, the price has gone back up to 599 and they are currently out
of stock. I look forward to getting mine. I currently own a Panasonic
FZ1 and and have been very happy with it. The FZ1/10s are very fun
cameras. I am sure the FZ3/15/20s will be too.

Later,
Steven