Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

Old December 15th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

In the year 2012 Americans still have to pay for incoming calls?

absolutely.

cellphone users are the ones using the airtime so they pay for that
airtime. why should a caller pay extra for the convenience of the
recipient?

as i said, usa tried caller pays. it failed. people who make calls
don't want any surprise charges, nor do they want some numbers
incurring additional charges versus calling other numbers.

however, there are some exceptions. some cellular calling plans offer
unlimited mobile-mobile and/or calls received from one or more numbers
that you declare, such as your home phone or other family member. there
are also plans where all calls are unlimited, which means it no longer
matters how much you use a cellphone, incoming or outgoing. you do need
to be on such a plan for any of that to apply, but whether that costs
more than paying for individual calls depends on just how much you
actually use.
Old December 15th 12, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Alfred Molon:
Quite the opposite: Jobs was right on the money when he said the
ergonomics of anything bigger than an iPhone/iPod don't work very
well.

Good luck reading a web page on a tiny iphone screen. It got better now
with the iphone 5, but previous iphones were limited to 3.5" screens.

That was my experience too.

But with the Note's 5" screen, web pages are mostly readable
without scrolling left/right.

Don't get me wrong: it's not exactly wonderful.... but it's
doable for most pages.

I have a tiny cheap Android phone, but reading web pages is quite easy
because it has a smart web browser which reformats text and images so
that they fit into the width of the screen. If I want a bit more width
I just turn the thing sideways and the page is reformatted. No need to
scroll left and right to read long lines.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old December 16th 12, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| I have a tiny cheap Android phone, but reading web pages is quite easy
| because it has a smart web browser which reformats text and images so
| that they fit into the width of the screen. If I want a bit more width
| I just turn the thing sideways and the page is reformatted. No need to
| scroll left and right to read long lines.

That sounds great. And how much was the microscope?

Old December 16th 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Mayayana wrote:
| I have a tiny cheap Android phone, but reading web pages is quite easy
| because it has a smart web browser which reformats text and images so
| that they fit into the width of the screen. If I want a bit more width
| I just turn the thing sideways and the page is reformatted. No need to
| scroll left and right to read long lines.

That sounds great. And how much was the microscope?

No need for a microscope. Pinch zoom will magnify or reduce any page,
and the text automatcally gets reformatted into the new screen
width. As it does if you rotate between portrait and landscape
orientation. If you want you can zoom the screen in so that only one
word, or even one letter, is displayed. In perfect sharp clarity,
thanks to vector defined fonts.

--
Chris Malcolm