GPS Cameras?

Old December 30th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Fields

Default GPS Cameras?

"Jimmy" wrote in message

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
This is the most idle kind of curiosity... but I can't help
wondering.

Has anybody come out with a camera or a camera add-on that records
latitude/longitude coordinates when the pic was taken - either
visually in the
frame or in the EXIF data/

Yes, such things are available, as add-ons. They would have some
useful applications, if combined with a good compass. That way you
would know where the shot was taken, and which direction the camera
was pointed.
Not something everyone would want, but I see a niche market for it.

for some nikons, http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

Interesting link off of that one that has some good comments on
position and photos ..
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...photo/gps.mspx

mikey

Old December 31st 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jimmy:
for some nikons, http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

Is the implication of that page that some Nikon DSLRs have the smarts to
interrogate the GPS device - or passively read it's output - and then
incorporate Lat/Long info into the pics they take?
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 31st 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jimmy

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Jimmy:
for some nikons, http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

Is the implication of that page that some Nikon DSLRs have the smarts to
interrogate the GPS device - or passively read it's output - and then
incorporate Lat/Long info into the pics they take?
--

I don't know what the implication is suppose to be, but many cameras can
sense if a connection is made, be it serial connector, remote cable, pc

The Nikon solution for cabling is expensive, so many have looked into a
reasonably priced solution. The Red Hen solution is expensive; the
PC-Mobile solution seems to be more affordable for connecting to the GPS
device. Here is a links for some early attempts in connecting Nikons to GPS
(please notice one of the articles is for the D100 camera which is no longer
in production). http://www.amedesign.ro/F100.htm or
http://www.core5.net/projects/d200GPS/index.html

Old December 31st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jimmy

Here is a links for some early attempts in connecting Nikons to GPS
(please notice one of the articles is for the D100 camera which is no
longer in production). http://www.amedesign.ro/F100.htm

I need to correct myself here, as this site is for early attempts at DIY for
direct camera to PC data cabling.

Old December 31st 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Jimmy:
for some nikons, http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

Is the implication of that page that some Nikon DSLRs have the smarts to
interrogate the GPS device - or passively read it's output - and then
incorporate Lat/Long info into the pics they take?

I heard that someone on this NG made his own devices for a Nikon D200.
OH WAIT THAT WAS ME.
http://cynicor.blogspot.com/2006/07/...n-d200_28.html

Old December 31st 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Martindale

Daniel Silevitch writes:
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:34:13 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
This is the most idle kind of curiosity... but I can't help wondering.

Has anybody come out with a camera or a camera add-on that records
latitude/longitude coordinates when the pic was taken - either visually in the
frame or in the EXIF data/

Sony sells, or at least has announced plans to sell, an add-on GPS
widget that would do that. I _think_ it worked by synching clocks with
the camera, and then recording its course track, and then loading the
position information into the images once both the track and the images
were downloaded to a computer. That sort of thing could probably be
bodged together by someone with an ordinary GPS hand-held and some
straightforward programming.

That's all true.

The Sony unit is the GPS-CS1. I've got one. It records position every
15 seconds while it is turned on. The unit connects to your computer
like an ordinary flash disk drive, using a standard mini-B USB
connector. When you look at its contents, you will find one ASCII text
file for each recording session (each time the unit was turned on). The
data is standard NMEA text strings, so lots of sofware can understand
it. The unit has 32 MB of data, which is enough for something like 360
hours of recording time.

An ordinary GPS handheld might be able to do the same thing for you,
except that many of them have very limited space for track logs. If you
get one that will record track data to a plug-in flash card, that
resolves this problem. Or use a GPS receiver with NMEA data out and a
separate data recorder.

The Sony software probably only works with their GPS unit, but other
software exists. RoboGeo is one example.

For maximum accuracy, the clock in your camera ought to be synchronized
to UTC within about 10 seconds accuracy.

Dave

Old December 31st 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jimmy

"Cynicor" wrote in message
t...
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Jimmy:
for some nikons, http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

Is the implication of that page that some Nikon DSLRs have the smarts to
interrogate the GPS device - or passively read it's output - and then
incorporate Lat/Long info into the pics they take?

I heard that someone on this NG made his own devices for a Nikon D200. OH
WAIT THAT WAS ME.
http://cynicor.blogspot.com/2006/07/...n-d200_28.html

This was a good article and I have it listed in my favorites. I have been
working on using the Garmin GPS18, mounting it to an old cold shoe adapter I
have had since my film days. The MC-35 cable is a bit expensive, so I
thought I would use the new PC-Mobile solution for cabling as it appears
there will be more GPS units available for use.

Old December 31st 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"Cynicor" wrote in message
t...
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Jimmy:
for some nikons, http://pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm

Is the implication of that page that some Nikon DSLRs have the smarts to
interrogate the GPS device - or passively read it's output - and then
incorporate Lat/Long info into the pics they take?

I heard that someone on this NG made his own devices for a Nikon D200. OH
WAIT THAT WAS ME.
http://cynicor.blogspot.com/2006/07/...n-d200_28.html

Well, I'll be darned, Cynicor. This is great stuff. I'll be reading your
articles more carefully from now on. Happy new year.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/