Forged address

Old December 29th 03, 02:46 PM
nck

Default Forged address

I am cross-posting this to the newsgroups I go to most often. My
" address was forged and a lot of spam is being
sent under that address. If you get something posted to the ng's that
appears to be from that address or a variation of it, please, forward it to
your ISP and let me know at "
These people really do stink, don't they?
Needless to say, if you hit "reply" it is not going to come to me, but go
straight to their mailboxes.
Thanks, and have a spam-free 2004.

Old December 29th 03, 05:26 PM
LIMEYNO1

Yes, they really do. What I did was start using my hotmail address for
newsgroups and kept the one they are spamming but didn't set it up on my OE,
but read it on line with mail2web then if someone uses my old email address
I still can read it.

Greetings,

Mail2web.com is a free service that we provide for users to check their
mail from their existing email service provider.

Old December 29th 03, 09:03 PM
zuuum

Do you not realize that robotic scanners harvest email addresses from
newsgroups?????

Your second post only provided yet another mail address to spam, Dear!

Not only was your address forged, the sender info in the spam you receive is
bogus. Don't expect to determine any info about who/what sends it.

Tip... neverEVER post a legitimate email address to a newsgroup.. neither
reply to "remove me" messages from any mailer you do not remember having
done business with. You will only be verifying that the address you provide
is in fact a deliverable email address. LOL, your own post could be a scam
to harvest deliverable addresses. No offense intended, but just a matter of
fact.

I agree that spam is a really sickening and annoying blight. I personally
receive upwards from 120 junk mail messages daily. Spam filters remove too
many occasional contacts I would never think to allow and in some cases
important correspondence.

** Spam-free 2004????? Whoever achieves developing an efficient spam
deterant will make millions. Mark my words. Legislation is futile since
they are not international laws, and most spam is routed through off-shore
servers or providers, knowingly or unknowingly.

Feel free to reply to my nowhere.net address. As often as you like.

Old December 30th 03, 01:27 AM
David Emery

zuuum wrote:
Do you not realize that robotic scanners harvest email addresses from
newsgroups?????

Your second post only provided yet another mail address to spam, Dear!

Not only was your address forged, the sender info in the spam you receive is
bogus. Don't expect to determine any info about who/what sends it.

Tip... neverEVER post a legitimate email address to a newsgroup.. neither
reply to "remove me" messages from any mailer you do not remember having
done business with.

True, but there's another way. That's to get your ISP to istall
effective anti-spam software. It's pretty simple to determine if
a message that's supposed to be from was
actually sent from spambase.com; any reasonable anti-spam software
should detect this and not accept the message immediately.

Here's what my home ISP (not this account) uses:
http://www.escom.com
Highly recommended, as somone who has used the same public
address (and used it on Usenet postings) for the last 15 years.
I haven't had a SPAM message actually delivered to my home
account ) for well over a year now.
By way of contrast, this cox.net account (which I do not use),
received 750 spams over the last 2 weeks.

dave

p.s. I have no business connection to escom.com, but I've been
alpha- and beta-tester for quite a while...

Old December 30th 03, 03:00 AM
zuuum

All of my ISPs began using spam filtering some time ago. I finally had to
opt-out. It doesn't work so well if you have a domain of your own using a
virtual-domain mail-server. When the anti-spam bots arrived on the scene,
suddenly all my procmailrc scripts became useless. One of the main reasons
I even registered a virtual domain was to simplify URLs and email addresses
to filter and redirect mail. Now, that assumes a spam, based on the path
logistics of spam detection. Redirection of mail is much trickier than it
once was.. unless, of course, you are a hacker/spammer.

Sort of an "If guns are illegal, only criminals and police are left with
them." scenario

Old December 31st 03, 09:10 PM
David Emery

Now we're way off-topic, but briefly.
Effective anti-spam filters should sit in front of the
SMTP host. You don't want your SMTP system (e.g. Sendmail,
PostFix) jammed up by all sorts of junque.
If you handle SMTP traffic (via a real or virtual domain, or
MX DNS record, etc), you assume the responsibility for
handling SPAM that gets sent to your domain. If your ISP
doesn't handle the mail protocols, no point blaiming them...

dave

Old January 1st 04, 10:20 PM
RAD

By placing your full email address in your messages as you have done
here, you've given two addresses to be harvested and sent spam. If you
feel you must enter your valid email address, spell it out, such as
cecilycatatearthlinknospamdotnet. By adding words or letters plus
spelling out the symbols it stops most, but not all I understand,
harvesting software.

Since you're on earthlink.net, I have another suggestion. Go to webmail
(webmail.earthlink.net if you haven't been there before), sign in with
your address, click on spamblocker. If you set this to high any mail you
receive that is from someone not listed in your address book will be
placed in a special folder called "suspect spam" which is separate from
the inbox. You would have to check the messages in here every so often
as they are automatically deleted 2 weeks after they are received. If
there are messages in this folder you want, all you do is tell the
program to add the address to your address book and move the message to
your inbox. This will not stop someone from forging your address when
sending mail, but it will reduce the amount of spam you receive.

Another alternative would be to use a yahoo or hotmail (or similar)
email address for your ng addy, but I would strongly advise to use the
same technique I mentioned above for that address as well.

RAD

Happy New Year!