D70 picture dust marks?

Old July 27th 04, 12:56 PM
Dan Leskinen

Default D70 picture dust marks?

I had a nearly identical problem with my new D70 except that the dust marks
were visible as smudges with a long lens and pretty much not visible with a
normal lens. Gently blowing off the low pass filter did solve the problem
and is a pretty easy procedure following the instructions in the manual. I
don't have an explanation as to why the smudges only appeared with the long
lens and are less so with normal lenses.

I was taking pictures at an airshow so the spots really showed up, but
PhotoShop easily corrected the problem on those I wanted to keep.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Old July 27th 04, 06:38 PM
John S

"ice" wrote in message
om...
If it is in the low pass filter, the manaul recommends that you lock
up the mirror and blow some air using a blower brush, minus the brush
bit. How safe is this to do? As the camera is only a few months old,
would it be worth returning to the shop?

100% normal, for all dslrs

These sites are decent for both technique and pointers to supplies:

http://bythom.com/cleaning.htm

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning (click on each "photo" for
descriptions)

My approach (when I finally get dust bunnies - none yet) is to try blowing,
then I'll attempt a ccd cleaning if blowing doesn't do it, and probably get
it cleaned/serviced by nikon in 1-2 years.

Old July 27th 04, 06:41 PM
ice

Hello Dan

thanks for the reply.

Good to know i am not the only one - will try the clean

thank you
Callum

Old July 27th 04, 07:01 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: D70 picture dust marks?
From: "John S"
Date: 7/27/2004 10:38 AM Pacific Standard Time

"ice" wrote in message
. com...
If it is in the low pass filter, the manaul recommends that you lock
up the mirror and blow some air using a blower brush, minus the brush
bit. How safe is this to do? As the camera is only a few months old,
would it be worth returning to the shop?

100% normal, for all dslrs

These sites are decent for both technique and pointers to supplies:

http://bythom.com/cleaning.htm

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning (click on each "photo" for
descriptions)

My approach (when I finally get dust bunnies - none yet) is to try blowing,
then I'll attempt a ccd cleaning if blowing doesn't do it, and probably get
it cleaned/serviced by nikon in 1-2 years.

It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER interchange it
allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am selling
all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
F/2.8 (s)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old July 27th 04, 07:38 PM
John S

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER

interchange it
allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

selling
all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
F/2.8 (s)

Hm. That's kinda the point of a SLR (swapping lenses so you have the right
one for the shot(s))

just don't do it in a dust storm
point the camera down
power it off and *wait* a few seconds for the ccd to discharge its static
charge
get new lens ready (cap off)
swap lenses
put cap on swapped out lens