Shooting film to develop later, much later.

Old April 3rd 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Shooting film to develop later, much later.

I know there's a small camera somewhere in my storage in which there's
a film shot in the 1990s. I plan to open it someday, perhaps soon, once
I get to it. I also have a couple of undeveloped films from 2004.

I notice that I'm somewhat eager and curious about what they contain.

I therefore had the idea yesterday, that perhaps, once I had tested the
cameras and got familiar with their peculiarities, I can shoot about a
roll of film a month, that I just put aside and develop after a year or
two, or more. Perhaps the longer the better. Each I'd date with a
permanent marker, and put them all in a little rubbermaid box. You
could say a "time capsule", or a "letter in a bottle", to a future
self. No instant gratification here, on the contrary, the disadvantage
of film compared to digital becomes a clear advantage; I think it could
be very interesting and perhaps joyous to much later on open such past
films, one a month.

Does anyone here do something like this? What do you guys think of its
feasibility? Any tips, advice?

Old April 3rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote:

[...]

You may be disappointed with the results of long-delayed film
processing, like poor color, crossed color, blotchy tones etc.

And I don't think film has the advantage here at all. You can easily
store digital images by stashing a flash card somewhere to find years
later, with no image deterioration. More expensive, of course.

Colin D.
Old April 3rd 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote
I can shoot about a
roll of film a month, that I just put aside and develop after a year or
two, or more. ... a "time capsule" ... What do you guys think

You don't mention what film you are using.

If it is color to be processed by a lab I would get it processed
immediately and not look at the prints [or slides] for a few years.

Old April 3rd 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote:
[...]

I did this by accident, bought a new camera and left film in the old
for about 10 years. The film when I finally had it processed was just
about unusable. If you really want to do this kind of thing get the
film processed but just don't look at it.

I also did the same thing with an digital camera, bought a new one and
did not down load the photos from the old for a few years.

Scott

Scott

Old April 4th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Scott W wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Reply to all those who replied so far.

Interesting. Would putting it in a fridge or freezer help? I'd rather
do this with film, rather than digital.

Old April 4th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Interesting. Would putting it in a fridge or freezer help? I'd rather
do this with film, rather than digital.

Use a low speed mono film and freeze it after exposure, if you're planning
long term process delay.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old April 4th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote:
Reply to all those who replied so far.

Interesting. Would putting it in a fridge or freezer help? I'd rather
do this with film, rather than digital.

Keeping it cool should help but even here there are limits to how long
it will last.
Just for grins I put up one of my slides that sat in the camera for
about 5 years before getting it processed.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/fadedslide
I don't recall what film I was using other then a slide film.

With enough work I kind of got the colors back.

Scott

Old April 4th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Yes. My advice is to get the film developed as soon as you get it out of the
camera. Then, when you pick it up at the lab, don't open the box, or look at
any of the film or pictures (if you have them) Just write the date on the
box, and store it away somewhere in your own personal "time capsule" - This
way, you will get the same benefits, but your picture quality will be a lot
better........