It's that time of year again...

Old June 9th 05, 09:44 PM
Ryadia@home

Default It's that time of year again...

Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have yet to
see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so it's also tax
time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up to $1000 AUD per
item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax write off (basically get it
for nothing) this year.

Tragedy strikes...
Not a single DSLR is priced under a grand.
Not even an EOS 3 body is under a grand.
Not a single "L" series lens is priced under a grand.
Not a decent studio flash is priced under a grand.

Bugger!
Bugger!
Bugger!

Oh well, I guess a Dye Sublimation printer for one of my new print kiosks is
about all I can buy and get the tax benefit. The Government really ought to
do some homework on the cost of toys before blindly introducing benefits to
the peons who elected them.

Douglas

Old June 9th 05, 10:44 PM
Alan Browne

Ryadia@home wrote:

Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have yet to
see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so it's also tax
time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up to $1000 AUD per
item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax write off (basically get it
for nothing) this year.

That's exceedingly generous of your government.

Unlimited number of items?

Tragedy strikes...
Not a single DSLR is priced under a grand.
Not even an EOS 3 body is under a grand.
Not a single "L" series lens is priced under a grand.
Not a decent studio flash is priced under a grand.

Accessory Flash (Such as 580EX)
Light boom stand
Product shooting table
Softbox (kit with a couple softboxes, grids, masks...)
incident/spot available light/flash meter
Studio stand

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 10th 05, 02:21 AM
Jeff R

"Ryadia@home" wrote in message

Oh well, I guess a Dye Sublimation printer for one of my new print kiosks

is
about all I can buy and get the tax benefit. The Government really ought

do some homework on the cost of toys before blindly introducing benefits

the peons who elected them.

Douglas

You can get a decent size dye sub for under a grand? Details please?

--
Jeff R.

Old June 10th 05, 03:42 AM
Ryadia

Alan Browne wrote:
Ryadia@home wrote:

Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have
yet to see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so it's
also tax time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up to
$1000 AUD per item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax write
off (basically get it for nothing) this year.

That's exceedingly generous of your government.

Unlimited number of items?

Tragedy strikes...
Not a single DSLR is priced under a grand.
Not even an EOS 3 body is under a grand.
Not a single "L" series lens is priced under a grand.
Not a decent studio flash is priced under a grand.

Accessory Flash (Such as 580EX)
Light boom stand
Product shooting table
Softbox (kit with a couple softboxes, grids, masks...)
incident/spot available light/flash meter
Studio stand

Ho hum... Have all of them.

Douglas
Old June 10th 05, 03:43 AM
Ryadia

Jeff R wrote:
"Ryadia@home" wrote in message

Oh well, I guess a Dye Sublimation printer for one of my new print kiosks

is

about all I can buy and get the tax benefit. The Government really ought

do some homework on the cost of toys before blindly introducing benefits

the peons who elected them.

Douglas

You can get a decent size dye sub for under a grand? Details please?

--
Jeff R.

Well now I've rung around... Cross that one off too!
Old June 10th 05, 04:41 AM
Jeff R

"Ryadia" wrote in message
Jeff R wrote:

You can get a decent size dye sub for under a grand? Details please?

--
Jeff R.

Well now I've rung around... Cross that one off too!

Phew.
I feel better now.

(Making do with a Canon CP-220 for snapshots)

--
Jeff R.

Old June 10th 05, 07:33 AM
David J Taylor

Ryadia@home wrote:
Surprisingly, A whole year has passed since June last year and I have
yet to see a truly memorable photograph from anyone I know. OK so
it's also tax time in the great Australian dream land. I can spend up
to $1000 AUD per item for my photographic gear and get a 100% tax
write off (basically get it for nothing) this year.

A carry-anywhere camera - Panasonic FZ5, Nikon 8400?

A portable storage device with viewer - Epson P-2000?

David

Old June 10th 05, 10:02 AM
Frederick

Ryadia@home wrote:
[...]

Don't you have a friendly camera shop proprietor who will see you a dslr
body for $999.99, add a few dollars on to a lens price, and give you
separate invoices - or are the ATO smarter than they were when I lived
in Aussie?
Old June 10th 05, 12:18 PM
Ryadia@home

"Frederick" wrote in message

Don't you have a friendly camera shop proprietor who will see you a dslr
body for $999.99, add a few dollars on to a lens price, and give you
separate invoices - or are the ATO smarter than they were when I lived in
Aussie?

-------------

Tut, tut now Frederick... Ethics prevail always here.
I had a tiny bit of a spend up today... Go mad on Monday (perhaps!)
I bought a FZ20 Panasonic $860 AUD down from over a grand a few months ago
and an Olympus Dye sub printer for $180 AUD along with some hardware I never
knew I needed!

Oh God, I love depriving the tax man - legally.
I may take advantage of a loop hole and buy a Kodak A4 size dye sub in 3
instalments to get the individual purchase segments under $1000 each. We
wait on the accountant to agree and just maybe this would be a good way to
but a new "L" series I've been considering. My supplier is agreeable if it's
decided to be legal.

Anyway, the little Oly dye sub printer is a treat and a half. It prints
direct from the camera (20D and FZ20 so far), no PC needed. Real photographs
in an instant! The FZ will work wonders inside a church with the image
stabilizer and no shutter slap to scare the pigeons and priests!

The real bargain of the day was a EOS 5 in mint condition for $200 AUD.
There's one going on EBay as I write which is up to $380. I thought I might
explore my theory that as the ISO rises in a 20D the resolving power of the
sensor reduces until it simply doesn't record fine detail any more. It's
getting close to my annual pilgrimage to the Pelican breeding grounds. What
better way to test the theory?

Douglas

Old June 10th 05, 12:22 PM
Alan Browne

David J Taylor wrote:

A portable storage device with viewer - Epson P-2000?

Nice blurb on that product:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04...pson_p2000.asp

But can it import files off of the camera? eg: I'd want to hook it to
the camera and have it suck the files out of the camera. If it can do
this, it would save me lugging a laptop out to the wilds...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.