Scanning 110 negatives

Old July 27th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Scanning 110 negatives

Hi, I'm in the process of scanning all my negatives so that I have a
complete digital library. I am currently using an Epson Perfection 4180
flatbed scanner.

However being (as they say) a silver surfer, I have a number of 110
negatives (20-30 films worth) and I don't have an adaptor to fit these
into the 35mm neg carrier. Buying slide carriers would cost a fortune
(this would equate to about 500 -600 slides) and would take forever to
cut and mount the negs. Having new prints made, that I could scan from,
would also be expensive. Some sort of mount that converted them into
35mm size would be good. I read somewhere about mounting them on over
exposed 35mm film but you need the film for this. Surely I'm not the
only person who wants to digitize thier 110 negs? Any suggestions?

Old July 27th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andy Hewitt

wrote:

Hi, I'm in the process of scanning all my negatives so that I have a
complete digital library. I am currently using an Epson Perfection 4180
flatbed scanner.

Blimey, same here, I probably have at least 2000 photos.

However being (as they say) a silver surfer, I have a number of 110
negatives (20-30 films worth) and I don't have an adaptor to fit these
into the 35mm neg carrier. Buying slide carriers would cost a fortune
(this would equate to about 500 -600 slides) and would take forever to
cut and mount the negs. Having new prints made, that I could scan from,
would also be expensive. Some sort of mount that converted them into
35mm size would be good. I read somewhere about mounting them on over
exposed 35mm film but you need the film for this. Surely I'm not the
only person who wants to digitize thier 110 negs? Any suggestions?

Actually I'm about to using an Epson 4490. I'm currently doing my 126
negatives, which fit the 35mm holders, but crop a lot of the image.

In the end I found by using a sheet of plain glass (I nicked one from a
photo frame) to place over the negative straight onto the flat bed
glass, does actually work very well. The 110's are next, although
fortunately I don't have as many as you to deal with.

You do need to make sure you leave a gap between the end of the negative
strip and the edge of the platter, it just produced an almost black
image on mine otherwise. And make sure you do put the negative face side
down (the numbers need to read back-to-front from above).

If you're using the EpsonScan software, then you also need to select the
'Preview' options tab, and switch from Thumbnail to Normal. You then
just use the multiple image selection tool as you would normally for
multiple photos.

I'd suggest scanning the 110's at the highest resolution you have,
4800dpi if you can. I normally scan my 35mm images at 3200dpi which
gives me images about the same size as a 6MP camera.

--
Andy Hewitt
http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/