Are all digital cameras crap?

Old February 9th 05, 08:00 AM
Scott W

Mark=B2 (lowest even number here) wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark=B2 (lowest even number here) wrote:

------------------
Thanks, Scott.
That was the ONLY shot I took, and it was hand-held... -A little

off-level as you say...
I was stopping to look at the pretty sun-set and those two canoes

raced by right on
cue--the only canoes on the water.
Serendipity!

Mark if you are So inclined there is a web site that has photos of
outrigger canoes, I have not seen one just like yours on the site. I
am sure it would be a welcome addition.
http://www.ocpaddler.com/gallery.html
It would be the Community Photo Gallery that it would go in.
--------------
I'll make it available to them...
Are you a paddler?

Yup, I was just out tonight. We are out during sunsets all the time
but rarely get photos of ourselves. The races where we all have
cameras with us take places during the day. It is not at all uncommon
it get back well after the sun goes down.

I am the one in the back in this photo
http://www.ocpaddler.com/modules.php...-04&id=3DP101=
0038&op=3Dmodload&name=3Dgallery&file=3Dindex&incl ude=3Dview_photo.php

Old February 9th 05, 07:43 PM
Scott W

By the way I can remember the last time I saw a film SLR at one of the
canoe races. There are a lot of people taking photos but it seems to
be all digital. The gal that takes the most photos uses a 10D, she gets
some great photos with this camera.

I don't know about other areas of the country but here 35mm film SLRs
are very rarely seen anymore. I still see a fair number of tourists
with point and shoot film cameras but even that is way down. The
pros all seem to be using either high end digital, like the 1Ds (hard
to miss that one) or medium format.

The other day we were walking by the sea wall and notice a person
stopped to talk to him about his camera.

I shoot both a F828 (yes I know it is not 35mm by any definition) and a
20D. I can tell you that the 20D is not crap. The 20D feels just like
my SLR (a canon) but it shoots faster and does not need to be loaded
with film as often. If you have never had a chance to play with one of
these you really should, they are very addicting.

Scott

Old February 9th 05, 08:18 PM
Alan Browne

Scott W wrote:

By the way I can remember the last time I saw a film SLR at one of the
canoe races. There are a lot of people taking photos but it seems to
be all digital. The gal that takes the most photos uses a 10D, she gets
some great photos with this camera.

I don't know about other areas of the country but here 35mm film SLRs
are very rarely seen anymore. I still see a fair number of tourists
with point and shoot film cameras but even that is way down. The
pros all seem to be using either high end digital, like the 1Ds (hard
to miss that one) or medium format.

Last winter in Cancun, Tulum, Chichen Itza I saw a lot of film SLR's as well as
a lot of P&S. Some DSLR's, but not as many as I expected. Here I see a lot of
film cameras as well as DSLR's which have taken off like crazy since the D60.

The other day we were walking by the sea wall and notice a person
stopped to talk to him about his camera.

Shooting 120 (500CM) last fall seemed like a great way to meet chicks. They
seemed fascinated that I looked down into the viewfinder and that it took so
many machinations to load a roll of film.

Cheers,
Alan

Old February 9th 05, 11:04 PM
Scott W

Alan Browne wrote:
Scott W wrote:

[...]

almost
stopped to talk to him about his camera.

Shooting 120 (500CM) last fall seemed like a great way to meet

chicks. They
seemed fascinated that I looked down into the viewfinder and that it

took so
many machinations to load a roll of film.

Cheers,
Alan

-- r.p.d.slr-systems:

http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm

Here it seems like more Canons then Nikons, perhaps because Costco is
selling the digital Rebel here. The Wedding photographers seem to have
a lot of 1Dss, shoot what is the plural for a 1Ds? We see these guys
on the beach all the time.

When you talk about a 120 film camera, now you are talking about a real
camera. The 500CM is a hasselblad is it not?

Film is getting to be more and more of a pain to travel with with all
the xraying that is being done. That may be in part why we don't see
that
many SLRs here, I really don't know.

Scott

Old February 10th 05, 06:04 PM
Alan Holmes

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Or is it just Olympus?

--
alan

Yes.
All digital is crap.

So that is why when I press the button to take a picture of a moving
vehicle all I get is the back end of it?

Or, when I try to use the flash it takes about 5 seconds to take a
picture, whereas a film type camera takes the pisture immediately
you push the button.

Is is this just a feature of Olympus?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Shots like this are crap:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/39564454
Especially when you see the 100% crop:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/39564455

Total...utter...crap.
Heck, here's a WHOLE FOLDER of crappy Digital snaps...
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004

Though OCCASIONALLY...one CAN take a decent DIGITAL shot that IS NOT
CRAP...like this one:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/36368962

-Mark

Old February 10th 05, 07:04 PM
Scott W

Alan Holmes wrote:

So that is why when I press the button to take a picture of a moving
vehicle all I get is the back end of it?

Or, when I try to use the flash it takes about 5 seconds to take a
picture, whereas a film type camera takes the pisture immediately
you push the button.

Is is this just a feature of Olympus?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Get a 20D, it will make your film camera seem very slow, really.

I am assuming that you really do want to know about good digital
cameras and are not just here to bash them?

Scott

Old February 10th 05, 10:06 PM
Alan Browne

Alan Holmes wrote:

Or, when I try to use the flash it takes about 5 seconds to take a
picture, whereas a film type camera takes the pisture immediately
you push the button.

Is is this just a feature of Olympus?

DSLR's behave like SLR's, that is a shutter lag of about 50 - 60ms, flash or
not. Which Olympus in particular?

Old February 10th 05, 11:14 PM

So that is why when I press the button to take a picture of
a moving vehicle all I get is the back end of it?

That would be shutter lag, combined with bad technique (it should have
only caught you *once* for that particular scenario). If you had done
a little research before buying whatever model you have, you may have
made a better choice - if action/sports/fast response photography was
your interest. And if those aren't your main interest, and you are
just complaining because the camera has shutter lag and that affects
some of your shots, why didn't you just ask for some help in how to
deal with it? There are several techniques available, but your
original post is not likely to motivate many folk to help - you didn't
even say what your problem *was*..

Or, when I try to use the flash it takes about 5 seconds to take a
picture, whereas a film type camera takes the pisture immediately
you push the button.

Remarkably, when shooting flash, even a `film type camera` has to wait
until the flash charges. Was the five seconds more of that shutter
lag, or just waiting for the flash to charge?

Is is this just a feature of Olympus?

Nope. If we are back to the shutter lag (and/or poor AF speed), those
are problems with the majority of P&S digitals. They are improving,
but frankly, if you want fast response time you either need to spend a
bit more on one of the (fairly rare) fast P&S cameras
(www.dpreview.com, look at the `Timings` page of their reviews), get a
DSLR, or just stick to film.

If it's the flash charge delay.. well, that varies, but is a feature of
just about every flash ever built.

Old February 11th 05, 02:00 AM
MarkČ

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Or is it just Olympus?

--
alan

Yes.
All digital is crap.

So that is why when I press the button to take a picture of a moving
vehicle all I get is the back end of it?

No.
That is because either:

a) You have a point-and-shoot digital that is shutter-lag hampered just as most
point-and-shoot film cameras are...

or...

b) You just haven't yet figured out what you're doing.

Or, when I try to use the flash it takes about 5 seconds to take a
picture, whereas a film type camera takes the pisture immediately
you push the button.

Is is this just a feature of Olympus?

You just need a *nice* digital camera.
Any digital SLR is going to snap those shots straight away...assuming you know what you're
doing.
A 20D, used 10D, or Nikon D70, etc. will give you an entirely different view of digital
capabilities.
-Mark

PS--
See this image regarding shutter-lag:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/38258451
I took only one shot of this scene, and timing was everything.
My 10D grabbed the shot precisely when I wanted it to.

Old February 11th 05, 05:31 AM
Skip M

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Or is it just Olympus?

--
alan

Yes.
All digital is crap.

So that is why when I press the button to take a picture of a moving
vehicle all I get is the back end of it?

I don't seem to have that problem...
http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...ces&picture=11
Taken with a Canon 20D, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com