A newbie request help selecting digital camera

Old June 15th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kris Krieger

Default A newbie request help selecting digital camera

ASAAR wrote in news:2hlb35ha9pl40aj7ecnr96v3514ir18o6f@
4ax.com:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:25:50 -0500, Kris Krieger wrote:

It'll change everything that you ever thought or knew about "power shot
type" P&S cameras.

Since I don't know squat about them, that wouldn't be hard LOL!!

Anyway, thanks for all the great info, and links!

Virtually all of it intended to be misleading. This was, after
all, the pathetic anti-DSLR troll you were responding to, who is
easily recognizable and changes his name *very* frequently because
he knows that if he doesn't do so, most people will quickly add his
name to their newsreader's kill files.

It's true that some *good* P&S cameras are capable of taking
excellent photos and they may be that you need, but they *all* have
severe limitations in many areas. First, if there isn't enough
light available, all digital cameras need to increase the ISO (in
other words, boost their light sensitivity - ISO is practically the
same as the ASA value used with film). Because they use much
smaller sensors than DSLRs, even a slight increase in sensitivity
degrades the image considerably.

***OH!!***

OK, that's important to me!! With my fil camera, I can open the lens
aperture and/or increase teh exposure time, but *have* been able (when I
get it right) to get soem beautifully crisp images in shadow, and in
backlit situations.

Here is somethign I'd like to photograph, *if* I ever see it again:
I was in the woods one time, and came across anopening where a shaft of
light illuminated a huge spider-web that spanned teh space between two
trees - and the "threads" of the web were refracting the light, creating
hair-fine "rainbows".

That's one sort of photography I want to do, but didn't know whether
digital was capable of handlign that sort of contrast and color-range. But
it does sound like DSLR would be stronger in that sort of situation.

When the low base ISO is boosted
to 200 or 400 the images from P&S cameras become "noisy" and is
often easily seen without substantial magnification. Many DSLRs can
be used at ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 and produce cleaner images than P&S
cameras. I have several of the better Canon Powershots and they're
nice, but they turn into little noise boxes when the lighting is
low.

OK, that would definitely not cut the proverbial mustard...

Second, P&S cameras focus using contrast detection, which is
*much* slower than the phase detection used by DLSRs, which under
similar conditions is much quicker and more accurate. Try them out
in a camera store that allows you to test them. You'll see, easily.

THat's another term I can add to my list - I previously would not have even
known to ask abotu that! So Thanks!

P&S cameras have several other drawbacks (which others can point
out if they wish), but they still serve a purpose and most DSLR
owners find it convenient to also use a P&S. So if you get a one
and find that its limitations are sufficient to force you to get a
DSLR, all is not lost.

There isn't room in the budget for me to get two. The above example of
things I would like to photograph is tellign, also, I like things such as,
small tree frog among a slew of palm leaves (haven't yet developed the fil
but tried to get that a couple weeks ago; green tree frong on the still-
shrubby Pindo palm in my back yard); or a dragonfly warmign up in the
morning light on a blade of the 7'-tall 'Dallas Blues' var switchgrass
(near the pindo palm). Or water glinting in the moonlight.

Not sure whetehr the following clarifies, but here goes =:-o :

My "manifesto", is:
I don't "do" snapshots.
I want to photograph **what __I__ perceive**,
not cutesy pic-lets that show someone else touristy views of this place or
that - for that, there are postcards, and tourist guides, and visitor
booklets. To be totally "rude" about it LOL!, I don't really give a crap
whetehr my photos would appeal to people who wabnt to see snapshots. I do
these things because I am driven to do them, and wht matters to me is
whether *I* am satisfied - and I'm pretty demanding of myself.

Yeah, I admit, *occasionally*, I might send a distant relative a
"snapshot" of the garden or house or whatever, but overall, nope.

So that's the core of my concern - what will best allow me to do the above?
I've occasionally changed lenses using my film camera, but usually use
(going to check) (OK, am back) the "MD Minolta Celtic f=135" lens, and only
VERY rarely use the "MD Rokkor 45mm 1:2" lens, because i'm usually doing
something like, picking out a cardinal sitting on a branch are of leaves
but loaded with berries, or similar.

OTOH, that's what I *do* like about the film camera - I do have the option
of using the one that best suits the capture of what *I* am perceiving
(again, with the lack of preview being the biggest frustration, along with
expense of film-development).

So for now, I've been looking at the Flickr site, selecting the photos that
are similar to the sort I'd like to take, and seeign what poeple use. So
far, tops are Canon EOS series (from 20D up to 50D), and Nikon D-series
(D200, D50, etc). SO that seems to be useful info, too...

Anywhere, that's all very rambling, but I'm sort-of at that "rambling"
stage right now in terms of the search, so I guess it fits

- Kris

Old June 15th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kris Krieger

tony cooper wrote in
:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:25:50 -0500, Kris Krieger
wrote:

Yeah, $500 is absolute upper limit - $300 is preferable upper limit. A
"Pro" setup simply is not in the budget.

Why did you wait so long to bring this up?

Er, because I didn't realize how expensive they could get.
IOW, I fully admit: my own ignorance.

At $300, you are limited
to compact cameras and to a camera that may not have the feature you
want the most: manual focus.

What about refurbished cameras? Are they too risky...?

At $500, you are limited to the Nikon D40 with just the 18/55 lens for
a dslr, or some of the better compacts. (I don't know the compacts)

You can forget Canon or Pentax dslr unless you go used.

But is that bad? Used, I mean?

At teh same time, if this is somethign I need to save up for for a while, ion
order to get something decent, I can start laying money away, esp. since i'm
looking at at least Christmas in terms of lead-time.

I suggest you read Steve's Digicams at http://www.steves-digicams.com/
and read the specs very carefully of the cameras in your price range.

OK! I have it loading...thanks for the link!

- Kris
Old June 15th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nick c[_2_]

ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:33:12 GMT, nick c wrote:

I'm not a pro but I do know pros. Discussing my situation with them, I
was advised to think about going back to Nikon simply because I may
have some sort of psychological attachment to Nikon equipment, since
I've used Nikon equipment for over 50 years (I'm 81 years old and my
right hand shakes). Since I have the means to indulge myself, I rented
a Nikon D300, a Nikon 16-85 lens, and a Nikon SB-600 flash. A week
later, I felt great. I felt comfortable using the Nikon D300, in fact
I was so sold on the camera I sold all my Canon equipment and bought
the D300 and the D700 Nikon cameras along with a bunch of lenses.
I hope that your 81 years haven't contributed to the discrepancy
shown by what some guy named nick posted about 5 months ago. If you
care to tie up the loose ends it would be appreciated.

I haven't post anything to this group within 5 or more months
therefore I'm unaware of posted discrepancies. I've never posted
anywhere using just the name Nick. I have always posted using the name
Nick C to avoid confusing folks. Besides, that's who I am. Although I
must confess, during my span of years, some people have taken the
liberty of calling me other names ..... unjustifiably of course. But
that hasn't happened too often.

Sorry. I said "some guy named nick" not in an attempt to fool
you, but to give you an opportunity to remember. The post that I
referred to was actually made by you five months ago unless it was a
forgery posted by someone else. Here's a copy of it, minus a couple
of header items that aren't relevant :

From: nick c
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Subject: Crap!
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 03:06:22 GMT

SteveB wrote:
One of my ships reached port yesterday, and now I am going to toodle off to
buy a dslr. I have investigated the Nikon D300, the Canon 40d, and the
Lumix dmc g1, as my friend has one of those, and he really likes it and
takes some great pictures with it.

There are a ton of suppliers and packages available. And prices are all
over the map. The lens packages are enough to bewilder the average human.

Questions: does it make a difference where you get it? If you get it from
a big supplier, can you depend on service and repair? I have a Sony that
has been in the shop now for a month, and I just want it back for a work
camera. What would be a good lens package for wildlife, family, and close
up hummingbird photography. I would like to buy the two lenses that are
matching brand names with the camera, and buy them as a package deal.

Lastly, I read the Nikon 300d vs. Canon 40d google article, and it seems
that one can get a very good camera in the 40d at about half the price of
the d300. For the average user, and entry level person (me), is it worth
all that extra cash? I know I can go down to the Lumix or even Olympus and
get a decent camera, but the jump to a 40d isn't that much. However, the
jump to a d300 is.

Thanks for bearing with me. I'm going to spend more for this camera than
I've spent for cars in my life, and just want to get a good one that I will
be satisfied with and not outgrow.

Steve

PS: I no longer have the urge to buy a bigger camera than my SIL who has a
D300.

I have used both Canon and Nikon systems and have accumulated lenses
for both systems. The camera in my bag has been the Canon 1DMKll. Many
months ago I had been bitten by the update bug and pondered the
thought of buying either the Canon 40D or the Nikon D300. I looked at
other cameras and many were reported as being good cameras but I
favored getting either the Canon 40D or the Nikon D300. Try as I
might, I did my very best to zero in on getting one or the other
camera. I read reports, questioned users, and could not readily decide
which one to buy. Indecision led to procrastination. Finally, I could
contain myself no further and I did the only thing one could do who
labored with a muddled mind; I bought both cameras. Yeah, I bought the
Canon 40D and the Nikon D300.

Regrets? I have none; IMO, both cameras are very good and may well
exceed your photographic needs and expectations. However, having had
the opportunity to take the time to use both cameras I must say I tend
to favor using the Nikon D300. Couple the D300 to a MB-D10 Grip and
you have a winner. There is much to learn about using the D300
capabilities and it is not likely that as your photographic knowledge
improves you will out grow the camera.

I would say the Canon 40D is a camera that is suitable for use by
serious amateur and pro alike while the D300 is definitely a pro
camera. What I mean to say is the Canon 40D straddles the market
fence, enticing a broader span of users, while the D300 is all pro. If
you're financially strapped and feel the Canon 40D fits into your
photo equipment budget, then by all means, the Canon 40D is the camera
of necessary choice. But if you could fit procuring the Nikon D300
into your budget, then go for it. There are many good reasons why some
5 or 6 photo publications have chosen the Nikon D300 as the best
camera in its class.

When film cameras reigned, there were cameras that when production
stopped, buyers would pay more to get an obsolete camera that was in
mint condition than the original cost of the camera when it was in
production. I guessing that the Nikon D300 might very well become one
of those type sought after digital cameras.

Nick

I found all this very interesting. After reading this post several
times, I have to say it's a great post. It's well written and may be
very helpful to anyone who may be interested in having two systems.
When I was active, I used 35 mm cameras, 2-1/4 cameras and Speed
Graphic (sheet film 5x7 and 8x10) cameras, all at the same sequence of
time so I think nothing of someone being happy using two systems. By
all appearances it does sound like something I would write but
unfortunately it wasn't from me. Upon further investigation I found it
was written by my son, Alex, using one of my laptop computers, which
he borrowed while his was being repaired. Since he visits me often, he
may have written it while he was visiting me. I have several laptop
computers 'cause the damn things seem to always need maintenance and
are often in the repair shop. A pox be on whoever opened Pandora's
computer box.

Alex originally bought into Canon because I had bought into Canon.
While he was, and I think still is, satisfied with keeping Canon,
wasn't. I won't keep what I'm not comfortable with. I changed back to
Nikon. This morning when I called him to inquire about this post, I
find he's still using the two systems and seems to be content. I
noticed this post is signed Nick. That momentarily puzzled me 'cause I
don't usually sign my posts. Perhaps Alex thought I was a regular
poster in this group 'cause I've often referred this group to him and
signing my name, to him, while using my computer may have seemed
proper. I neglected to ask him about that. Anyway, AFAIC, I really
don't care to know. Shrug. Alex is not into news groups, he's much too
busy in the world of finance to become attached to news groups. Now,
as for me, I like to lurk and at times, I fire up one of my Ser Jacopo
pipes and take a bottle of Port and one of my laptops outside and sit
in the shade of the patio and play with my laptop while watching the
grass grow. Now, that's interesting.

Have to ask, did the post, in your opinion, contain information that
was not correct or informative? If there's beef in this hamburger, I
can't find it. I'll tell Alex not to upset the net police again. I
don't think he meant to do anyone harm.

I'm 100% Nikon. I even bought my wife the D60 kit and she loves it.
Oh,well ... what the hell, she leaves it on "P" and doesn't care to go
any further. I guess I don't really care how she uses her camera.
Whatever makes her happy tickles me half to death. Besides that, when
she's content she tends not to futz around with my toys.

Old June 15th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kris Krieger

tony cooper wrote in
:

wrote:

Yeah, $500 is absolute upper limit - $300 is preferable upper limit. A
"Pro" setup simply is not in the budget.

Why did you wait so long to bring this up? At $300, you are limited
to compact cameras and to a camera that may not have the feature you
want the most: manual focus.

At $500, you are limited to the Nikon D40 with just the 18/55 lens for
a dslr, or some of the better compacts. (I don't know the compacts)

You can forget Canon or Pentax dslr unless you go used.

I suggest you read Steve's Digicams at http://www.steves-digicams.com/
and read the specs very carefully of the cameras in your price range.

OK, I looked here
http://www.steves-digicams.com/deals.asp

THis doesn;t look bad, is pushing the budget but they have a discount for
first-time buyers:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10007881

These also don't look at all bad to me, but it might just be that I don't
know any better:
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...=NKD402LK&l=CJ
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...KD401855K&l=CJ

THey're refurbished, I think, but if the refurbisher is reputable, is that a
bad thing...?

- Kris
Old June 15th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nick c[_2_]

Kris Krieger wrote:
nick c wrote in news:szoZl.2483$u86.1424
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

[snip]
I haven't post anything to this group within 5 or more months
therefore I'm unaware of posted discrepancies. I've never posted
anywhere using just the name Nick. I have always posted using the name
Nick C to avoid confusing folks. Besides, that's who I am. Although I
must confess, during my span of years, some people have taken the
liberty of calling me other names ..... unjustifiably of course. But
that hasn't happened too often.

LOL! Of course unjstified Srsly, tho', I appreciated your input. And
viewpoint

- Kris

God bless.....

I did, at one time some 3 or 4 years ago post some pictures in
response to someone asking about lenses and lighting conditions. Other
than that, I've just enjoyed lurking and reading the many posts from
knowledgeable folks who post regularly. Then again, I've been known to
doze off reading posts too. Either way, I've found the discussions of
this group to be beneficial one way or another.

Snip

Old June 15th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kris Krieger

tony cooper wrote in
:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:53:56 -0500, Kris Krieger
wrote:

Bob Larter wrote in news:4a333f53$1
:

Ignoring the dSLR-Trolls wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:07:29 -0500, Kris Krieger
wrote:
Kris K.

Go with any of the excellent super-zoom P&S cameras (and ditch your
old

Kris, please ignore this loon. He hangs out in this group purely to
complain about DSLRS. If you're already used to an SLR, you really
don't want to downgrade to a digicam.

I thought DSLR is a type of digicam?

Any camera that uses digital media to capture the image, and not film,
can be called a "digicam". The terms most commonly used are dslr
(digital single lens reflex) or, for cameras without
interchangeability of lenses, Point & Shoot or compact camera.

Ah-HA, OK, thanks for that clarification

I'm looking for info, so I can be an educated consumer and get what will
work for me. If the Canon Power Shot models are worth looking at,
that's good to know; if DSLR will be closer to what I want, it's good to
know which are reliable (and outdoors-capable).

The Canon Power Shots are Point & Shoots or compact cameras. They
come with a wide variety of features, but - from what you have
described in your other posts - you should be looking at a dslr. The
entry level price for a dslr is about $450 with one kit lens. The
prices go up from there.

OK. My budget isn't carved in stone, just that I'd need to save up for
something more expensive, so there'd be a lead-time.

If you do look at the compact camera (Point & Shoots) models, read the
specs to make sure the model can be set to manual focus because that
seems to be important to you. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 is one that
does, but it sells for as much as a dslr does.

Oh! OK. It's something to add to the "list of things to look into"

I'm not recommending the Lumix or any other camera. You have a long
way to go in research, and you should do it on your own.

Oh, exactly! I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what to buy, that's for
sure - but people's experiences do offer info that I can use as a starting
point for my reaserch - as it was, the vast amount of "blurbs" on-line were
just a mass of confusion and disorder - but by following th elinks people
here ahve offered, and collating th einfo, I'm getting a *much* better
understanding of where I need to start. SOmetimes, knwoing where to start
is the most important step (so that you don't step off of a clif G!)]

Thanks!

- Kris
Old June 15th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kris Krieger

"Pete Stavrakoglou" wrote in
:

@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

wrote:
Kris K.

Go with any of the excellent super-zoom P&S cameras (and ditch your
old

Kris, please ignore this loon. He hangs out in this group purely to
complain about DSLRS. If you're already used to an SLR, you really
don't want to downgrade to a digicam.

I thought DSLR is a type of digicam? I want to get away from film
because I
missed too many shots (that I suffered to get) because of not getting
the settings just right, and not finding out until paying a lot to get
the film
developed.

I'm looking for info, so I can be an educated consumer and get what
will work
for me. If the Canon Power Shot models are worth looking at, that's
good to
know; if DSLR will be closer to what I want, it's good to know which
are reliable (and outdoors-capable).

I didn't mean to spark a war. I'm mainly trying to separate mere
"snapshot
boxes", from cameras I can use to take decent-to-good photographs. My
first
thought was DSLR, for the reasons I'd described, and I want to retain
control
over focusing my pictures in whatver area of the frame I want, so I
don't like the sound of "auto-focus" - but if "point and shoot"
includes some quality items, I'm open to info on them as well.

Right now, the variety of types is bewildering, tho' I'm not impressed
by what I've seen in the under-$200-range (esp. when a lot of hoo-ha is
made over "color choice" - black is fine by me), so the info and links
people have
generously provided here are a starting point for good cameras within
my price-range.

I know it takes time for people to offer info, regardless of their
viewpoint,
so I appreciate that, and really did not mean to start an argument...
=:-o

- Kris

P&S cameras have small sensors and that affects the image quality. An 8
MP P&S will not give youthe same quality photo as an 8 MP DSLR. The
DSLR sensor is larger, the P&S sensor will generate more noise. When
you view a 4x6 or 5x7 photo, you don't see much difference. Blow up a
photo and then the difference will show. Size matters in a camera
sensor.

AH! OK, that is another important point. I would liek to be able to
enlarge things (which I can do, when my ASA100 film photos turn out well,
because of the fine grain of the film).

The only P&S that arguably can produce images as good as a DSLR is the
Sigma DP1 and DP2. The reason is that these cameras have and APS-C size
sensor like a DLSR has. It's the same sensor Sigma uses in their DSLR,
it's pricey, and it's not a camera for someone who just wants to P&S.
Otherwise, if you are interested in the image quality that a DSLR has,
you won't find it in any other P&S.

Ah, good to know. And the Sigma page said that the SIgma14 is the only
one (I assume aside from the 15 & higher) that takes full range of RGB
color. Evidently they're locally available thru Houston Camera Exchange.

So I can look into that, too, thanks!

- Kris

Old June 15th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

wrote:
[...]

I have the Sigma SD14. I like the sharp photos the Foveon produces and the
colors. But you can get good colors from any DSLR. The SD14 doesn't have
the features of other DSLRs and it is not as good at higher ISOs. It can be
bought for $ 400.00 from Cameta camera via ebay. Without an adapter, you
will be using only Sigma lenses. Not a problem for me as they make more
than I could ever need or afford. With a Nikon or Canon system, your lens
choices are much larger. Besides their own lenses, you can use Sigma,
Tamron, or Tokina. Just make sure you handle whatever camera you consider
and that you like the feel and the ergonomics.

Old June 15th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kris Krieger

"David J Taylor" -
this.co.uk.invalid wrote in news:_8uZl.42890$OO7.19499
@text.news.virginmedia.com:

Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
[]
The only P&S that arguably can produce images as good as a DSLR is
the Sigma DP1 and DP2. The reason is that these cameras have and
APS-C size sensor like a DLSR has. It's the same sensor Sigma uses
in their DSLR, it's pricey, and it's not a camera for someone who
just wants to P&S. Otherwise, if you are interested in the image
quality that a DSLR has, you won't find it in any other P&S.

You might want to add the Sony DSC-R1 to that list as well.

David

Thanks , I also want to investigate the Sony A-series (as mentioned on the
website luminiouslandscapes.com).

I'm pretty sure by now that I'll have to save up for a higher-priced one to
get the features I'm interested in

- Kris
Old June 15th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kris Krieger

Matt Ion wrote in
:

Kris Krieger wrote:

I know the end result I want; also the $$ the budget allows me to
spend. So I need to mesh those. I was thinking DSLR, but maybe I do
need to widen my investigations? THe info is grist for the mill and I
appreciate people taking the time to offer me that info.

At the same time, there's nothing that says you can't own SEVERAL
different types of cameras - as with your brushes, you just pull out the
one you need for the particular job you want to do.

Only my budget - if I do save up for a DSLR inthe $600 vicinity, I just can't
afford adding a $300+ on top of that...unless I first do good enough work to
sell.

A friend of mine has a Canon Rebel XTi and several very nice lenses
(Canon 10-22mm, 60mm macro, etc.), and he loves the control and the
results it gives him... but he also found it a lot to carry along on his
job with the railroad, and he was always worried about it getting
damaged or stolen... so he got himself a "compact bridge" camera in a
Canon G9, something he can just toss in his truck to carry along at all
times.

Valid point, and certainyl a good choice for many people, just out of my
budget

THanks, tho'!

- Kris