JT's Keeper's Stringpod - pretty good.

Old October 23rd 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Default JT's Keeper's Stringpod - pretty good.

Facts Police wrote:
JT's Keeper wrongly repeated what he read, without knowing how to use this
simple and effective method. As usual, like every obvious resident-troll he just
parroted misinformation with no real experience whatsoever. He suggested it was
to be attached to a foot.

Actually, my version is designed to fit to your foot, specifically
with a small hook, which I latch in the laces of my shoe.

Since I often shoot in dirty conditions, a foot loop,
or a piece of string/rope that is stood on will become
dirty enough that I'd rather not put it back in my pocket.

The primary advantage of a string (of chain) pod
is the absurd portability.

It also evades most museum rules
about tripods; since many museums ban flash,
some kind of support can make make the difference
between getting a picture of an exhibit,
and getting a picture of camera shake.

BugBear
Old October 23rd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Facts Police wrote:

Can't you people recognize resident-trolls when you read from them?

Yes: whenever you post, I instantly see a troll.

Pretty sad having to change your nick every day to get through the
filters...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 23rd 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

bugbear wrote:

Actually, my version is designed to fit to your foot, specifically
with a small hook, which I latch in the laces of my shoe.

Since I often shoot in dirty conditions, a foot loop,
or a piece of string/rope that is stood on will become
dirty enough that I'd rather not put it back in my pocket.

The primary advantage of a string (of chain) pod
is the absurd portability.

It also evades most museum rules
about tripods; since many museums ban flash,
some kind of support can make make the difference
between getting a picture of an exhibit,
and getting a picture of camera shake.

Not completely guilty of mis-attribution here so please accept my
half-apology...

I have heard of the technique before, but most recently read it in
JT-K's post.

The museum use did occur to me, though many museums do allow monopods.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 24th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Alan Browne wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
I tried the 'stringpod' as suggested by "JT's Keeper" and the result is
better than hand held alone. (2-3 stops worth).

Sounds good.. but it got me wondering - how many stops do you get from
a monopod, I wonder? (O:

Your turn to test and show. In the right conditions it's so close to a
tripod as to be hard to distinguish. Much easier to compose with a
tripod however...

The added strain of doing this would be tiring, IMO, after a while, not
to mention frigging with the rigging to get a specific composition.

Those were the killers for me.

It's worth a 13' slice of rope in the pack. OTOH, if I have my pack I
very likely did not forget my tripod...

Pretty good evidence. I've never actually made a device as described,
but on a few occasions back in film days when I couldn't judge
immediately and retake, I've wrapped the neck strap around my arm in a
way that allowed me to put some tension on the camera.
Old October 24th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Facts Police

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:40:35 -0500, Allen wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

Well, there you go. Finally someone with a partial clue. There's a little more
to it than just wrapping the strap around your arm(s). In fact, your arm has
very little to do with the best method. But at least you're on the right track.

However the pocketable string/chain/strap mono/bi-pod has its uses at times
where you can't use your full-body stability to brace the camera correctly.
Proper strap-adjustment/slinging will be used 99% more often than any "pod"
methods, once you learn how. But they both have their uses. This is why the
string-or-strap & bolt is kept in an unused pocket for those rarer times. Once
you know these two tricks then a tripod or monopod starts to collect dust in the
corner. Used only when you've planned well in advance that you're ever going to
need it again--usually entailing long-exposure night-time photography.

Old October 24th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Facts Police

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:37:45 +0100, bugbear
wrote:

Facts Police wrote:
JT's Keeper wrongly repeated what he read, without knowing how to use this
simple and effective method. As usual, like every obvious resident-troll he just
parroted misinformation with no real experience whatsoever. He suggested it was
to be attached to a foot.

Actually, my version is designed to fit to your foot, specifically
with a small hook, which I latch in the laces of my shoe.

While I can understand the advantages of this, it does limit using the camera to
that specific height from your shoe. But you can then readily use the more usual
step-on method when needed. E.g. arresting the motion of the camera while
kneeling and having to compose a shot through an LCD while holding the camera at
arms' length, etc. (One of those "only way to get that shot" scenarios.)

Since I often shoot in dirty conditions, a foot loop,
or a piece of string/rope that is stood on will become
dirty enough that I'd rather not put it back in my pocket.

Ah, the squeamish urban photographer who won't lay chest down in the swamp-mud
and rain to get just the right angle. Okay. :-)

I have quite a few hangers full of "photo clothes" with mud and dirt stains and
rips from head to foot.

Would that you were more adventurous I would advise you to add inexpensive knee
and elbow pads to your camera-kit. Found for about $10 in the kids'
sporting-goods section, to protect their easily injured bodies from scrapes and
bumps in their urban comforts. The single most inexpensive and useful item I
have found in 20 years to vastly increase the quality of my photography and
chances of getting the perfect shots. When slowly creeping up on an insect or
reptile you don't accidentally flinch when you put a shard of rock, sharp twig,
or exposed root's edge into your knee or elbow. Scaring said subject away if you
do. Larger than 1:1 macro shots of even the most skittish of subjects is now
within your grasp. It allows you to move so carefully and slowly that they
sometimes don't even know you are there when your lens is 1 cm. away. It has
also greatly diminished the number of pants and shirts that I've had to discard
from tearing large holes in them. They paid for themselves on the first use. Did
I mention the extra comfort level? You aren't distracted when that black and
smelly ice-cold swamp-water seeps up through the soft ground, through your
clothes. I can also kneel for hours and crawl with my elbows over a rubble or
lava field for great distances to follow and frame subjects. There are just some
subjects that refuse to sit and smile pretty for you. You have to be patient
until they "give it up" for the camera.

Sometimes I feel like an insect's or reptile's worse paparazzi nightmare. I can
sense them wanting to turn and attack the lens of my camera for having hounded
them so relentlessly, for hours at times. Days if I need to, picking up where I
left off the day before. I think I wear them down into submission. They finally
realize they're not going to get their food or mate until they do "smile pretty"
for me. Then I thank them and apologize for being such a relentless pest. I can
sense them heaving a sigh of relief right along with me after that perfect shot
has been snapped.

Excellence in photography has little to nothing to do with "luck".

The primary advantage of a string (of chain) pod
is the absurd portability.

Yep!

Old October 24th 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

wrote:

Facts Police wrote:
JT's Keeper wrongly repeated what he read, without knowing how to use this
simple and effective method. As usual, like every obvious resident-troll he just
parroted misinformation with no real experience whatsoever. He suggested it was
to be attached to a foot.

Actually, my version is designed to fit to your foot, specifically
with a small hook, which I latch in the laces of my shoe.

While I can understand the advantages of this, it does limit using the camera to
that specific height from your shoe. But you can then readily use the more usual
step-on method when needed. E.g. arresting the motion of the camera while
kneeling and having to compose a shot through an LCD while holding the camera at
arms' length, etc. (One of those "only way to get that shot" scenarios.)

My design incorporates a winder so the length of string
can be altered; the winder is also (IMHO)
essential for carrying and/or storing the damn thing
without getting a birds nest.

I also have an unfair advantage when it comes to funny
camera angles, since I have a flip out viewfinder
on my Canon A630 (suck that up, SLR users).

If people care, I'll post a photo of my string pod on monday
(no camera OR string pod here at work)

BugBear
Old October 24th 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

wrote:

Facts Police wrote:
[...]

Now I'm thinking about something akin to a chalk-line reel, but much
smaller (unless your legs are 100 feet long g) and with a tripod-socket
attachment bolt.

http://tinyurl.com/58lx56

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old October 24th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:
Facts Police wrote:

[...]

Only essential if you never learned how to do these things with simple
quick knots, another ancient human skill which urban man has
forgotten.

--
Chris Malcolm

Old October 27th 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

bugbear wrote:
My design incorporates a winder so the length of string
can be altered; the winder is also (IMHO)
essential for carrying and/or storing the damn thing
without getting a birds nest.

If people care, I'll post a photo of my string pod on monday
(no camera OR string pod here at work)

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...string_pod.jpg

The winder is based on a "cable tidy"

http://homepage.mac.com/tang101/004-...ER-CLEAR01.jpg

whilst the camera fitting is pretty standard; just a 1/4
bolt filed down, and a large diameter nut.

BugBear