Why use multi-spot focus?

Old August 13th 04, 08:28 PM
Bill Sheppard

Default Why use multi-spot focus?

I've got a Pentax Optio S which I like very much, but I get a high percentage
of photos which are out-of-focus (maybe 20-25%). It dawned on me that perhaps
I'm trying to outsmart the camera. My old camera, a Fuji MX-700, focused on
the center, so I'm used to pointing where I want to focus, pressing the
shutter button halfway, then reframing the picture. Since the Optio has
multi-spot focus am I working against the system? Or would I get better
results by turning off the multi-spot focus and doing it how I'm used to?

Thanks!

Bill
--
@@@@@@@ If my laptop battery is almost empty,
* @@@ * shouldn't my laptop be lighter?
Old August 13th 04, 09:07 PM
Roland Karlsson

Bill Sheppard wrote in
:

I've got a Pentax Optio S which I like very much, but I get a high
percentage of photos which are out-of-focus (maybe 20-25%). It dawned
on me that perhaps I'm trying to outsmart the camera. My old camera,
a Fuji MX-700, focused on the center, so I'm used to pointing where I
want to focus, pressing the shutter button halfway, then reframing the
picture. Since the Optio has multi-spot focus am I working against
the system? Or would I get better results by turning off the
multi-spot focus and doing it how I'm used to?

Multi spot focus is overrated IMHO.
If you do as you do it is better to turn it off.

The idea with multi spot focus is to get more information
when you dont point the camera at the thing to focus at.
It is a higher chance that one out of 5 focus points hits
something interesting than just one do so. It is doubtful
that this improvement is for real though.

But --- don't be surprised if you still get some pictures
out of focus. Consumer digital cameras are not good
at focussing.

/Roland

Old August 14th 04, 04:59 AM
Dave Martindale

Bill Sheppard writes:
I've got a Pentax Optio S which I like very much, but I get a high percentage
of photos which are out-of-focus (maybe 20-25%). It dawned on me that perhaps
I'm trying to outsmart the camera. My old camera, a Fuji MX-700, focused on
the center, so I'm used to pointing where I want to focus, pressing the
shutter button halfway, then reframing the picture. Since the Optio has
multi-spot focus am I working against the system? Or would I get better
results by turning off the multi-spot focus and doing it how I'm used to?

Multi-point focus is for people who are incapable of doing anything
other than "point and shoot". If the main subject is somewhat
off-centre, the multi-point focus is more likely to find it.

But if you're clever enough to put the main subject in the centre of the
frame, half-press to focus, and then re-aim for composition, the
multi-point focus is a liability. Just turn it off, and then you'll
know what the camera is focusing on. It's disabled on all my cameras.

Dave