Any GIMP users (Linux)

Old May 10th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Any GIMP users (Linux)

hi,

i am muther-f'ing sick of windows, bill gates, and redmond, wa. as well. i
want to migrate over to linux, but need to know if the gimp is even close to
PS CS2 in quality. my main concern is being able to use layers via PS, and
curves. I don't use too many filters, and the soft focus, Gausiann blur ones
seem to be inthe gimp.

thanks for any help....

Old May 10th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"joe mama" wrote:
hi,

i am muther-f'ing sick of windows, bill gates, and redmond, wa. as well. i
want to migrate over to linux, but need to know if the gimp is even close to
PS CS2 in quality. my main concern is being able to use layers via PS, and
curves. I don't use too many filters, and the soft focus, Gausiann blur ones
seem to be inthe gimp.

thanks for any help....

Linux won't help your attitude.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old May 10th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"RW+/-" wrote in message

Linux won't help your attitude.

Heh, but it might help his perspective.

it might help both...and more!

Old May 10th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"RW+/-" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 05:52:33 GMT, joe mama wrote:

"RW+/-" wrote in message

Linux won't help your attitude.

Heh, but it might help his perspective.

it might help both...and more!

Then download some live CD's and find out.

just downloaded the bootable DVD, and i'm on my way.

cya, billy boy!

Old May 10th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 10 May 2006 05:27:56 +0000, joe mama wrote:

hi,

i am muther-f'ing sick of windows, bill gates, and redmond, wa. as well. i
want to migrate over to linux, but need to know if the gimp is even close
to PS CS2 in quality. my main concern is being able to use layers via PS,
and curves. I don't use too many filters, and the soft focus, Gausiann
blur ones seem to be inthe gimp.

thanks for any help....

It works and well.
--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply
Old May 10th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 10 May 2006 06:27:56 +0100, joe mama wrote:

hi,

i want to migrate over to linux, but need to know if the gimp is even
close to PS CS2 in quality. my main concern is being able to use layers
via PS, and curves. I don't use too many filters, and the soft focus,
Gausiann blur ones seem to be inthe gimp.

Try out Gimp for Windows. The functionality of Windows and Linux versions
are very similar.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to
Old May 10th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 10 May 2006 05:35:30 GMT
RW+/- wrote:

On Wed, 10 May 2006 05:27:56 GMT, joe mama wrote:

hi,

i am muther-f'ing sick of windows, bill gates, and redmond, wa. as
well. i want to migrate over to linux, but need to know if the gimp
is even close to PS CS2 in quality. my main concern is being able
to use layers via PS, and curves. I don't use too many filters, and
the soft focus, Gausiann blur ones seem to be inthe gimp.

thanks for any help....

Why not run gimp in windows and find out?

Although the OP is trying to escape from Windows, trying the
Windows version of the Gimp is not a bad idea. I've heard
that the Windows version is slower than the Unix version, but
have not tested that out myself.

Photoshop is the benchmark against which things like the
Gimp are measured. Depending on your needs, the Gimp may
come close. Or it may miss entirely. The Gimp (and Linux)
don't really have color management yet, although some work
is in progress. The Gimp works internally with 8 bits
per channel, while I think PS uses 16. This might matter
if you shoot raw and post-process in PS.

If you have a recent high end computer then you should find out if
Linux will even support your computer,

It almost certainly will, but it's always a good idea to check
it out before committing to an install. The easy way to do
this is to boot a live CD like Knoppix. It won't touch your
hard drive unless you ask it to, and it'll let you exercise
all of your hardware.

and then be prepared for
constant updates/upgrades,

And constant exaggerated sniping from Windows partisans.
I do a full re-install every couple years. In between,
updates for security or bug fixes are semi-automatic.
My SuSE system at work can be configured for automatic
unattended updates, but I prefer to just let it tell me
when updates are available and run them at a time of my
choosing. My Fedora systems at home get updated periodically
using yum. It's just like Windows Update, minus all the
forced reboots.

oh, and it is up to you to keep up on the
security

.... Unless you choose for it to happen automatically.

and if you have problems with your ISP's communication
lines, well....... LOL

Your laughter is hollow. Linux uses standard protocols
and does not have problems any particular ISP's wires.
There are some ISP's who are clueless about Linux, however.
Earthlink is one. Comcast is another. If you're the sort
that calls the ISP for support a lot, it might make sense
to shop around for a better one.

On the other hand, there are some ISP's that really are
brain-dead. When I checked into satellite internet a
couple years ago, all of the providers required a bit
of Windows-only client software to deal with the extreme
latency problems. And some broadband providers want to
put a network card in your computer that may or may not
have Linux support. Linux may be superior to Windows
in terms of security and reliability, but some dark
corners of the world have not caught on yet. It pays
to pay attention to what you're doing.

Paul Allen

Old May 10th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

joe mama wrote:

hi,

i am muther-f'ing sick of windows, bill gates, and redmond, wa. as well. i
want to migrate over to linux, but need to know if the gimp is even close
to PS CS2 in quality.

Nope. No color management at all. No monitor calibration support, no printer
profiles etc. I use linux for general purpose computing (have been for
almost 10 years) but have a win2K box just for photography stuff. I wish
linux had better support for this type stuff but it just doesn't. Unless
you are willing to sacrifice quality to say you are windows free, you can't
use it for this IMHO.

--

Stacey
Old May 10th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Stacey wrote:
joe mama wrote:

hi,

i am muther-f'ing sick of windows, bill gates, and redmond, wa. as well. i
want to migrate over to linux, but need to know if the gimp is even close
to PS CS2 in quality.

Nope. No color management at all. No monitor calibration support, no printer
profiles etc. I use linux for general purpose computing (have been for
almost 10 years) but have a win2K box just for photography stuff. I wish
linux had better support for this type stuff but it just doesn't. Unless
you are willing to sacrifice quality to say you are windows free, you can't
use it for this IMHO.

I agree that Gimp has limitations. I try to use it sometimes but always
GimpShop which is an addon that makes Gimp look like PS. At the end of
the day its free. Linux has improved drastically on desktop in the past
couple of years and the new crop of distributions releases is promising
more functionality in userfriendliness area. Personally I used linux
for over 8 years now. But only recently have I managed to fully adopt it
to my needs at least on my work laptop in full 64 bit glory. I run
vmware virtual machine in order to be able to run some tools needed for
work.

Regarding hardware support, it has come a long way. What you can expect
is, to have a working system with some devices not working if you have a
bleeding edge hardware. If you never used Linux before you will have a
steep learning curve ahead of you.

Also, if you are so sick of Windows, you can always give MacOS X a go.
The new Intel based macs can run macosx, windows xp and linux.

Good luck

Old May 10th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Nope. No color management at all. No monitor calibration support, no printer
profiles etc. I use linux for general purpose computing (have been for
almost 10 years) but have a win2K box just for photography stuff. I wish
linux had better support for this type stuff but it just doesn't. Unless
you are willing to sacrifice quality to say you are windows free, you can't
use it for this IMHO.

Unfortunately I have to agree.

However, if you're doing web work and only using sRGB you can run
Photoshop under Wine - it's now a supported application on the
Codeweavers list. Codeweavers Wine is a remarkably complete program
these days. I've used it every day for a year and I've never seen it so
much as hiccup.