Nikon Capture vs. Photoshop CS

Old November 1st 04, 12:38 AM
Wehs

Default Nikon Capture vs. Photoshop CS

I'd like to know folks experience w/ Capture vs. the raw converter in Photoshop
CS. What does Capture do that PS doesn't, have you found it worth the $100?

Thanks in advance
Old November 1st 04, 02:30 PM
John

"Curt Bousquet" wrote in message
I can't put it into words, but I really like the quality of the
image that is processed with Nikon Capture much better than that
of CS's RAW converter.

snip

I was hoping that the CS converter would make my life simpler
and streamline my workflow, but lately I only use it when I am
taking a quick look at an image, or working on somehting that is
just going to be a 'snapshot' that was shot in RAW by mistake.

Now if Nikon could just work on the interface...

I agree wholeheartedly with Curt the quality of the output - Capture
beats Photoshop here (colors are more saturated, transitions are cleaner and
sharper, etc.). My beef is that we could have the best of both worlds if
Nikon would just get on the stick a bit: make available in the Photoshop
plug-in version the extra controls (i.e., all of Advanced Raw, Noise
Reduction, Vignetting, etc.) to which we have access via the Capture
interface, rather than the dumbed-down version we currently have (which lets
you adjust WB and EC, that's it!). Adobe has shown it can be presented
rather cleanly with its ACR tabbed-interface, large preview window, etc. -
can't Nikon just emulate that design and make its controls available?

- John

Old November 3rd 04, 11:56 AM
Gadgets

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2609

Ver 2.3 (26th Sept 04)

Support for the following cameras as well as support for DNG
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/main.html has been added. Please visit
the Camera Raw page
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html for a complete list
of supported cameras.
Canon PowerShot S60 Epson R-D1 Fujifilm FinePix S20 Pro Nikon
Coolpix 5400

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com