How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?

Old October 29th 14, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Don Bruder

Default How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?

In article ,
"A. Beck." wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 13:04:41 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

If you upload X, assume the web site has X. If that X contains all your
EXIF data, assume they keep it.

It's one thing to assume, while it's another to actually know.
I asked to figure out if anyone actually knows, since I don't.

And unless things change massively, neither you, nor anyone else, will
*EVER* know - Someone *MIGHT* be able to do some sort of commando-style
raid and get it out of somebody at gunpoint, but these outfits that
collect information will *NEVER* willingly reveal how much or how little
they collect and/or try to use. There's even less chance that they'll
tell you how they use it or why.

--
Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q
Old October 29th 14, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Jasen Betts

On 2014-10-28, A. Beck. wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 18:09:04 +0000, Sandman wrote:

Flickr, obviously, keeps the EXIF data.

Yikes!

I had downloaded images and *never* saw EXIF data in
those downloaded images.

Are you sure about this?

Absolutely! have you never used google maps?

--
umop apisdn

Old October 29th 14, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-10-28 17:04:41 +0000, JF Mezei said:

On 14-10-28 12:54, A. Beck. wrote:

But ... how much of that personal EXIF information is retained by
the web site (and used for their possibly nefarious purposes)?

If you upload X, assume the web site has X. If that X contains all your
EXIF data, assume they keep it.

Yeah that's the safest bet. These operations get some of their money
by selling demographics to ad outfits, so why wouldn't they use all the
information they are given?

Old October 29th 14, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Davoud

Davoud:
Try to imagine the National Geographic or a newspaper
publishing photos in isolation, not saying where or when they were
taken. That would render most of the photos entirely useless.

William Unruh:
Yes, but then you are not National Geographic, or even a newspaper. Even
they do not publish all the photos they take.

Very perceptive. No, I'm not. And I don't publish all the photoss that
I make, either. But you missed the point, which was, I think, that
failure to reveal information about the photos that one /does/ publish
diminishes the usefulness of the photos.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 29th 14, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
A. Beck.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:29:20 -0400, nospam wrote:

the usps photographs *every* piece of mail. every single one.
this began after 9/11.

Nospam is right. They started photographing *every* piece of mail,
and holding it for 30 days, I think, after the anthrax scares.

It's in the NY Times article from yesterday, which I found after
searching (because, at first, I didn't believe it myself).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/us...ands.html?_r=0
Old October 29th 14, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
A. Beck.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 21:46:11 +0000, Lewis wrote:

Not 50,000 pieces of mail. 50,000 request to monitor ALL the mail from/to
a specific sender.

That's *only* the requests from local law enforcement.
They kept the Federal requests from us, so, you can probably double that number.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/28/us...ands.html?_r=0

Also note, that in 2009, the requests were 1/10th what they are today.

Old October 29th 14, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
A. Beck.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:17:34 +0000, Sandman wrote:

Again, this isn't "intensly personal information" if it
requires tons of assumptions.

What if I posted an ad in Craigslist, and a lovely lady
sends me a picture, which she took from her living room.

Now, I know where she lives.

That's pretty personal.

Old October 29th 14, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
A. Beck.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:05:10 -0400, Davoud wrote:

For what "nefarious purposes" do you think people might use your EXIF?

What if, say, I posted to LinkedIn, my photo, taken from my living
room.

Would I really want the entire world to know exactly where I live?

Old October 29th 14, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
A. Beck.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:32:55 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Get Exiftool and search the web for the best commands to clean out images
in batches.

$ sudo apt-get install imagemagick
$ convert -strip pic.jpg pic_sansexif.jpg
$ for i in *.{jpg,JPG}; do echo "Cleaning $i EXIF"; convert -strop $i $i; done

$ sudo apt-get install exiftool libimage-exiftool-perl
$ exiftool -all= foo.jpg
$ for i in *.{jpg,JPG}; do echo "Cleaning $i EXIF"; exiftool -all= "$i"; done

$ sudo apt-get install jhead
$ jhead -purejpg *.jpg
$ for i in *.{jpg,JPG}; do echo "Cleaning $i EXIF"; jhead -purejpg $i; done

I don't know how to remove EXIF with exiftran (do you?).
$ sudo apt-get install exiftran

$ sudo apt-get install exiv2
$ exiv2 -rm pic.jpg pic.jpg ???
(I'm not sure the sytax to use the "rm" option to remove EXIF data)

Old October 29th 14, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
A. Beck.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 21:15:10 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

Probably all of it so be careful what you upload. Also read the small
print very carefully many of these photo "sharing" sites will lay claim to
them gaining your image copyright hidden in their terms of use.

Are you sure about that?
You're saying Flickr, and LinkedIn, and TinyPic and Facebook *own* your photos?