Lens 411 for DSLRs

Old June 21st 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Lens 411 for DSLRs

hi,

i'm debating taking the plunge ( i can't believe it), but i am curious of
one thing. i have some old pentax k and m42 mount glass that are fabulous. i
read that the pentax DSLR offerings leave a little to be desired.

are there any other makers that support the k mount, or the screw mount, via
an adaptor?

my other bag is full of nikon glass, but i am just looking into
alternatives.

thanks

Old June 21st 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

joe mama wrote:
are there any other makers that support the k mount, or the screw mount, via
an adaptor?

Make your own k-mount adapter:
http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/D...s_adapter.html

my other bag is full of nikon glass, but i am just looking into
alternatives.

You can also put your Nikon lenses on Canon cameras. See this list of
lens adapter threads:
http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/Lens/Adapter/

Chieh

Old June 21st 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have always appreciated your camera hacker site. Lots of great
things !!! Thanks for a info a month or 2 ago about drilling to hole
in the Canon to fit the video pin on a tripod. Decide it not to do it.
Too much delicate electronics down there. But I do run the hacked
operating system on a Rebel.

I hate neck straps and use a wrist strap. For some work, I use a
Custom Bracket to get the flash off of the camera. I adapted the
bracket to accept the bottom of the wrist strap so that I didn't have
too many things on the bottom of the camera (can use the bracket and
strap at the same time). Not really a "hack" but let me know if you
want pictures. The bracket companies should make the brackets this
way, IMO.

Pat.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hey, BTW, welcome to the NG. I don't think you've posted much here
before. Nice to have you here.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE, go look at Chieh's website www.camerahacker.com It
is tremendous. You have to admire his creativity, technical skills,
intellect, and fearlessness (to take something apart to see how they
work). I've never seen any of this pictures, but if his pictures are
half as good as his hacking, he'll blow every one of use out of the
water. But a word of warning, some of his hacks are not for the faint
of heart.

Chieh Cheng wrote:
Pat wrote:
I have always appreciated your camera hacker site. Lots of great
things !!! Thanks for a info a month or 2 ago about drilling to hole
in the Canon to fit the video pin on a tripod. Decide it not to do it.
Too much delicate electronics down there. But I do run the hacked
operating system on a Rebel.

Thanks for the encouragement, Pat. I've always enjoyed hearing fellow
photographer's hack ideas on how to make their gear better.

I hate neck straps and use a wrist strap.

I hate neck straps as well. So I wrap it a few times around my wrist
when I'm shooting and use it like a wrist strap.. The strap does come
in handy when I need to carry it on my shoulder.

For some work, I use a
Custom Bracket to get the flash off of the camera. I adapted the
bracket to accept the bottom of the wrist strap so that I didn't have
too many things on the bottom of the camera (can use the bracket and
strap at the same time). Not really a "hack" but let me know if you
want pictures. The bracket companies should make the brackets this
way, IMO.

I have a hard time picturing what you are talking about. I would
appreciate pictures. Thanks.

Chieh

Old June 22nd 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hey, BTW, welcome to the NG. I don't think you've posted much here
before. Nice to have you here.

Thanks, Pat. I use to frequent NG a lot more. But ever since I started
manage my own web site, it's taken up a lot more time. Sometimes I'll
drop in and see what's developing. And if I see threads that could use
my knowledge, I'd help.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE, go look at Chieh's website www.camerahacker.com It
is tremendous. You have to admire his creativity, technical skills,
intellect, and fearlessness (to take something apart to see how they
work). I've never seen any of this pictures, but if his pictures are
half as good as his hacking, he'll blow every one of use out of the
water. But a word of warning, some of his hacks are not for the faint
of heart.

Haha. thanks for you kind words. I didn't mean to hide my photographs
from anyone. I've just been talking a lot more about my photography
gears than my photographs.

Here are just a few of my photographs that have gained a little bit of
fame: http://imageg.camerahacker.com/
The rest of my photographs are exhibited privately in my home and for
my friends. I hope you enjoy the few I have to share.

I don't think my photographs will blow anyone else's out of the water.
They happen and I just happen to be at the right place at the right
time. I remember when I first picked my first SLR camera and lens ten
years ago. I shot a several photographs based on my intuition. The
content seemed just "right". Those photographs would equal if not
better than the ones I shoot today. I'm sure many of you feel the same
way about some of your own photographs.

Everyday I learn a little more; a little more about controlling my
shots. I learn how to recreate and better the photographs that I shot
based on my intuition. And I think it's a lot of fun and it makes
photography more enjoyable.

Chieh

Old June 22nd 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
[...]

I too appreciate your work, both photographs and technical
explorations. Thank you.

A question: are there two EOS cameras: 30D and D30? I see photos of
such a machine with each "spelling". Is there a joke among reviewers?

--
Frank ess

Old June 23rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

A question: are there two EOS cameras: 30D and D30? I see photos of
such a machine with each "spelling". Is there a joke among reviewers?

Yes. The Canon EOS D30 is the very original "consumer", or you can
think "inexpensive professional", DSLR camera. Prior to the D30,
digital SLR cameras cost over $10000. The release of D30 brought the
digital SLR's into the masses' hands.

Canon EOS 30D is Canon's latest release of this prosumer-level camera.
The 30D is the fifth generation in this line-up. So I suppose Canon
came a full circle. ;-) I'm actually quite surprised that Canon decided
to call it 30D, because it sure confuses a lot of people.

Chieh

Old June 23rd 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

" writes:

A question: are there two EOS cameras: 30D and D30? I see photos of
such a machine with each "spelling". Is there a joke among reviewers?

Yes. The Canon EOS D30 is the very original "consumer", or you can
think "inexpensive professional", DSLR camera. Prior to the D30,
digital SLR cameras cost over $10000. The release of D30 brought the
digital SLR's into the masses' hands.

Nikon D1, June 1999, list price $5,500.

Canon EOS D30, May 2000, list price $2,900

(So pretty clearly the D1 isn't a "consumer" level price point;
whether the EOS D30 is remains a question for the consumers :-)).

The clear part is that your $10,000 figure is way off -- it was Nikon
that seriously broke that barrier. (Canon has enough *real*
achievements in this field, no need to exaggerate!)

Canon EOS 30D is Canon's latest release of this prosumer-level camera.
The 30D is the fifth generation in this line-up. So I suppose Canon
came a full circle. ;-) I'm actually quite surprised that Canon decided
to call it 30D, because it sure confuses a lot of people.

Yes, that seems like a strange decision. They probably figure that,
relative to today's market, nobody has ever *heard* of the D30; people
like us are statistically insignificant.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old June 26th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yes. The Canon EOS D30 is the very original "consumer", or you can
think "inexpensive professional", DSLR camera. Prior to the D30,
digital SLR cameras cost over $10000. The release of D30 brought the
digital SLR's into the masses' hands.

Nikon D1, June 1999, list price $5,500.
Canon EOS D30, May 2000, list price $2,900
(So pretty clearly the D1 isn't a "consumer" level price point;
whether the EOS D30 is remains a question for the consumers :-)).
The clear part is that your $10,000 figure is way off -- it was Nikon
that seriously broke that barrier. (Canon has enough *real*
achievements in this field, no need to exaggerate!)

Thanks for pointing that out, David. I didn't mean to exaggerate. I was
thinking only along the Canon DSLR line, because that's what we werer
taking about. Plus, I don't really know much about the Nikon DSLR's
(other than several Nikon P&S and Nikon SLR lenses, I have not owned a
Nikon body).

When I mentioned the $10000 figure, I was thinking about my dream
camera the Canon EOS D2000. It costed $20000 brand new and was the
number I wanted to quote. But I figured that by the time D30 came out,
the price probably dropped to around $10000. The numbers are just what
I pulled out of a hat, not meant to be accurate, precise, nor
exaggeration . . . probably got at least four digits of error.

Yes, that seems like a strange decision. They probably figure that,
relative to today's market, nobody has ever *heard* of the D30; people
like us are statistically insignificant.

I know what you mean. ;-)

Chieh
--
Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/