Broken Kodak DX7440 Mode Dial

Old December 25th 04, 09:41 AM
Joe Obrin

Default Broken Kodak DX7440 Mode Dial

Well, I continue to be frustrated and dissapointed by my Kodak DX7440,
which I have had for about four months now. This latest problem may be
fatal.

The camera no longer responds properly to the mode dial. It finds the
auto mode fine. But, when set to SCN, it thinks it is in custom. When
set to P, it still thinks it is in custom. When set to A, it thinks it
is in auto. Well, you get the idea. What is really interesting is
that when it is set to video mode, it thinks it is in shutter priority.

The reason I am posting is not so much to complain, but to ask if
anyone thinks there is a chance that this is *NOT* a mechanical
problem. I suspect that one or more of the contacts in the dial's
switch mechanism has gone bad. But, I am holding on to a thin hope
that this is some type of software problem, and the camera is just
confused about where the modes are.

I tried leaving the battery out of the camera for about 20 minutes, but
that did not help. OTOH, the camera still knows the date and time, so
memory contents have not been erased. I will try to leave the battery
out overnight (several hours) to see if that helps.

The camera has led a very sheltered life--never dropped or bumped, it
has never even been on an airplane. it's hard to believe a camera that
costs this much would have a mechanical problem this soon.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. But, I think this camera
is about to be kicked to the curb.

Old December 25th 04, 10:50 AM
Ron Hunter

Joe Obrin wrote:
[...]

If you have had the problem from the outset, contact Ron Baird at Kodak
about getting the camera fixed. Kodak is pretty good at customer service.

--
Ron Hunter
Old January 3rd 05, 08:28 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Joe,

Yikes Joe, that is not normal.

Your camera is under full warranty (as long as it was not damaged by water
or dropping it etc.) and will be serviced to perfect condition. If this is
a situation that existed from the time you started using it, you should have
contacted the seller to return it initially. Failing that you should contact
Kodak directly so we could get the camera back in good condition. A review
of your information shows that you did call on the 27th and that you were
sent a number and reference.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company