Tried some new settings

Old July 23rd 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SteveB[_3_]

Default Tried some new settings

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Went to the cabin for a few days. I tried some different settings that we
have discussed here. I think I came up with some aha moments, and some
pretty nice pictures. These are four of the nicest, but I got lots of nice
clear shots.

Moral for me: Learning how to use a camera is as important as the brand
name. Maybe even a little more.

Steve

Old July 23rd 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

SteveB wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Went to the cabin for a few days. I tried some different settings that we
have discussed here. I think I came up with some aha moments, and some
pretty nice pictures. These are four of the nicest, but I got lots of nice
clear shots.

Moral for me: Learning how to use a camera is as important as the brand
name. Maybe even a little more.

Very nice photos.

Scott
Old July 24th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Scott W wrote:

SteveB wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Went to the cabin for a few days. I tried some different settings
that we have discussed here. I think I came up with some aha moments,
and some pretty nice pictures. These are four of the nicest, but I
got lots of nice clear shots.

Moral for me: Learning how to use a camera is as important as the
brand name. Maybe even a little more.

Very nice photos.

Nice hummingbird shots, but um, not shot with a DSLR so a bit off topic
here, no? Shutter priority 1/1000 sec f/3.5 (flash?)
Old July 24th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

SteveB wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote

Nice hummingbird shots, but um, not shot with a DSLR so a bit off topic
here, no? Shutter priority 1/1000 sec f/3.5 (flash?)

They were shot with a Sony DSCH1. Don't know if that qualifies for your
club, but I'll still continue to read the group, as I will be getting a
better camera soon. I've just been reading and learning. Reading about
cameras and learning about some of the people in here. In the meantime,
I'll try not to be a bother.

That's OK, this is a good place to learn about technique too, I hang out
in the 35mm group to get tips from the film shooters. So what setting
changes worked for you?

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old July 24th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:28:58 -0700, SteveB wrote:

They were shot with a Sony DSCH1. Don't know if that qualifies for your
club, but I'll still continue to read the group, as I will be getting a
better camera soon. I've just been reading and learning. Reading about
cameras and learning about some of the people in here. In the meantime,
I'll try not to be a bother.

One way to be less of a bother when posting about your P&S would
be to sneak in reference to DSLRs in your message. One might have
been to ask if DSLRs could in any way help to take pictures of
hummingbirds that would be more difficult if using your DSC-H1.
There may be no ways that DSLRs could help, or someone might say
that the best time of day to take those photos is when the sun is so
low that most P&S cameras focus much less accurately with small
objects that don't fill most of the frame's autofocus area under low
light conditions.

In any case, you're welcome to join rec.photo.digital, which is
intended to cover your camera as well as DSLRs. It's also inhabited
by many of the people that visit this newsgroup. I don't know if
you'd consider that to be a plus or a minus, but I think they're
both worth the subscription cost.

Old July 24th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SteveB[_3_]

"Paul Furman" wrote

That's OK, this is a good place to learn about technique too, I hang out
in the 35mm group to get tips from the film shooters. So what setting
changes worked for you?

The main ones we I quit trying to use the manual focus feature. I would
take a tape measure, measure to that spot where I thought the bird would be,
then set up something the same distance from the lens on the porch, and set
the distance manually and lock it in. It was always just a little out of
focus.

I slowed down the shutter speed, at times down to 1/250.

I reduced the flash level.

I used program mode more. I changed my focus setting from Single to Monitor
and continuous. I could focus on the end of the feeder and leave it there
on the tripod, and it would stay focused. When the bird got there, I would
swing to the bird, and focus again if he stayed there long enough. I bought
an AC supply so that my camera does not time out nearly as much, and I don't
have to change batteries frequently from using the AF features and the LCD
screen.

When I went on this trip, I was having problems getting good shots and
didn't know why. Twice last week, I had the D40x and credit card at the
same time, but didn't spring for it. I decided that I needed to learn more
about using an advanced camera, and not just buy one. This trip showed me a
few things that I hadn't known or considered before. Maybe next time I get
to Ritz Camera Shop, if they have the D40 with the two lenses, I may just
take one home. My wife can't understand owning TWO cameras, but that's
another story.

In the meantime, I'm learning about staging the feeders to get the birds
where I want them, and making little things to do exactly that. I'm also
having a lot of fun and getting some decent pictures. I can't wait to show
these hummer photos to my smartalecky SIL who just got a D80 and a bag full
of lenses to shoot 4 year olds playing soccer.

Thanks for all the information everyone posts here. It really helps because
I am still learning every day.

Steve

Old July 24th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SteveB[_3_]

"ASAAR" wrote

One way to be less of a bother when posting about your P&S would
be to sneak in reference to DSLRs in your message.

Very soon, I shall own a D40x, and will close the loopholes. In the
meantime, I'll keep reading and learning.

A D40x IS a DSLR, right?

Steve

Old July 24th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:34:56 -0700, SteveB wrote:

Very soon, I shall own a D40x, and will close the loopholes. In the
meantime, I'll keep reading and learning.

A D40x IS a DSLR, right?

Not really. The D50 is the *only* DSLR.

i.e., you'll never win. Besides having to worry about posting in
the right newsgroups, you'll also occasionally stumble into camera
brand and even a few camera model chauvinists.

Old July 24th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

SteveB wrote:

Very soon, I shall own a D40x, and will close the loopholes. In the
meantime, I'll keep reading and learning.

A D40x IS a DSLR, right?

Yep, you can tell because there is no LCD live preview, you are forced
to look through the viewfinder. I think your Sony actually allows
focusing with the focus ring on the lens, I recall looking at a similar
model, it's a pretty nice camera. You might also have the option to zoom
in the LCD in the viewfinder to manually focus which is only possible on
one or two of the very latests DSLRs. Maybe keep the Sony for a while or
sell it & get a D80 instead, you'll love the bigger brighter viewfinder
& either one is not much bigger than the Sony. A second P&S for a DSLR
owner should be pocket sized.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1