Is Your Browser Color Managed?

Old May 27th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Is Your Browser Color Managed?

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

dci-p3 is the emerging standard, with a couple hundred million devices
already out there.

https://www.noteloop.com/kit/display...-space/dci-p3/

"The DCI P3 Color Space is an RGB color space that was introduced in
2007 by the SMPTE. The color space features a color gamut that is
much wider than sRGB. All Digital Cinema Projectors are capable of
displaying the DCI P3 color space in its entirety. As of 2013 there
is only one commercially available monitor capable of displaying
the entire DCI P3 color gamut, the Dolby Professional Reference
Monitor PRM-4200."

Sounds as though it might be a stretch too far for the immediate
future.

this may come to you as a big surprise, but the year is 2017, *not*
2013.

currently, nearly all apple products have a wide gamut dci-p3 display,
including the iphone 7/7+, ipad pro 9.7", imac 4k, imac 5k and macbook
pro '16, as well as products from other companies.

See also https://www.noteloop.com/kit/display/color-space/

see also:
http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_Pro9_ShootOut_1.htm
The Absolute Color Accuracy of the iPad Pro 9.7 is Truly Impressive
as shown in these Figures. It is the most color accurate display that
we have ever measured. It is visually indistinguishable from perfect,
and is very likely considerably better than on any mobile display,
monitor, TV or UHD TV that you have.
The iPad Pro 9.7 breaks many new records in display performance for:
Highest Absolute Color Accuracy for any display for Both Color Gamuts
(1.35 JNCD), Lowest Screen Reflectance for any mobile display (1.7
percent), Highest Peak Brightness in a full size Tablet for any
Picture Level (511 nits), Highest Contrast Rating in High Ambient
light (301), and Smallest Color variation with Viewing Angle (all
under 2.0 JNCD).
The Next Generation of Displays* ** Better Performance in Ambient
Light
Right now the iPads are the unrivaled record holders for display
performance in ambient light as a result of their record low screen
Reflectance of 1.7 to 2.6 percent, significantly lower than the 4.5
to 6.5 percent Reflectance currently found in all other current
competing Tablets and Smartphones.

I didn't think we were just talking about iPads.

we're not.

read what i wrote again.

nearly all apple products ship with a wide gamut dci-p3 display. ipads
are just one.

all iphone 7/7+, imac 4k/5k, and macbook pro have a wide gamut dci-p3
display. there are also numerous third party dci-p3 displays for other
systems (or macs without built in displays).

As you quote above:

"It is visually indistinguishable from perfect, and is very likely
considerably better than on any mobile display, monitor, TV or UHD
TV that you have."

It still sounds that as far as monitor screens are concerned its time
has not yet come.

for pcs, that is probably true because they're always lagging and
windows colour management is not as good.

for apple, the time is now. dci-p3 is standard across almost all apple
products, mac and ios.
Old May 27th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| I suppose there are still computers out there which are not color
| managed. It's almost certain that there are many monitors out there
| which are not calibrated.

Or more accurately, it's almost certain there
are some monitors out there that are calibrated.
But probably not on tablets and phones

all ipads and iphones are colour managed and calibrated at the factory.
granted, it's specs, not individual device, but that's close enough and
*far* better than uncalibrated.

and
laptops and computers not used primarily for
graphics. Just as the average person is watching
TV on a garishly saturated flatscreen, it's not
even relevant to most people, much less worth
an investment of time and money.

tvs aren't normally used for viewing web pages.

I always install the color profile for my monitor
and then adjust until things look right to my eye.

which voids it.

Heresy in this crowd, I know, but the expense of
calibration is not worth it to me,

under $100, and since you're running an older system, you could buy a
used puck for much less.

and I have a
good eye for color. I do wonder, though, just
how far off the average monitor is, if its color
profile is installed. There's a lot of talk about
calibration but I've never seen any kind of
analysis about just how much difference it makes.

it makes quite a bit of difference.
Old May 27th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

| I'm talking about the pelican photo.
|
| the link you snipped, you mean? no artist tag.

How do you manage to get so confused?

because you keep snipping relevant content.

All you hvae to do is read back up the thread. I know that on good
authority. That's what you keep telling me when I complain about you
snipping relevant content.

nope. read what he wrote again.

he is talking about a photo that was posted a few years ago and he
saved.

I mentioned
to SD that I really liked a swan photo I thought was his.
It turned out it's a pelican photo, taken 12/22/2013 by
sas. There's no link. I saved a copy. It has nothing
to do with Tony's swan photo. Can you understand that?

how did you save a copy if there was no link?

you're *very* confused.

post the relevant message id or the link to the photo.

Old May 27th 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 27/05/2017 05:26, Tony Cooper wrote:
Another popular bird to photo in Florida is the Sandhill Crane. Like
the pelican, they're big and you can walk right up to them. They will
walk (not fly) away from you at a fast pace, though, so it can be hard
to get a face-on shot like this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-P...8-10-27-X3.jpg

That's an amazing image!

To me, it looks as if it is made of wool! :-)

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Old May 27th 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 27, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 27 May 2017 10:59:24 -0400,
wrote:

In , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Another popular bird to photo in Florida is the Sandhill Crane. Like
the pelican, they're big and you can walk right up to them. They will
walk (not fly) away from you at a fast pace, though, so it can be hard
to get a face-on shot like this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-P...8-10-27-X3.jpg

We get both the American White, and the Brown pelicans out here.
The Browns are interesting as they go through several color phases when in
breeding plumage. The American Whites, other than black wingtips with the
adults, not so much.
This is a not so shy, Brown Pelican.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/igxe51gedjysnms/_DNC0714.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/slibzn9ba62dw6a/_DNC0721.jpg

I prefer the common birds, though:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-7...2009-04-16.jpg

They don't get the attention.

Savageduck

Old May 27th 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 27/05/2017 17:57, Savageduck wrote:
On May 27, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 27 May 2017 10:59:24 -0400,
wrote:

In , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Another popular bird to photo in Florida is the Sandhill Crane. Like
the pelican, they're big and you can walk right up to them. They will
walk (not fly) away from you at a fast pace, though, so it can be hard
to get a face-on shot like this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-P...8-10-27-X3.jpg

We get both the American White, and the Brown pelicans out here.
The Browns are interesting as they go through several color phases when in
breeding plumage. The American Whites, other than black wingtips with the
adults, not so much.
This is a not so shy, Brown Pelican.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/igxe51gedjysnms/_DNC0714.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/slibzn9ba62dw6a/_DNC0721.jpg

The clarity and detail in your photographs is amazing! :-)

How far away from the birds were you when you took these photographs?

--
David B.
Old May 27th 17, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/25/2017 9:28 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

(And that, of course, still
doesn't take into account variations in color perception
between people. I'm, only pointing out software
differences here, which is a relatively small part of
the equation.)

people perceive colours in the same way.

if someone says they see bright red, another person will also see
bright red, not azure, lemon, russet or grey.

Individual perceptions of color may vary from one individual to another,
just as taste, and hearing do.

nope. this was well established long ago not to be true.

http://www.livescience.com/21275-color-red-blue-scientists.html

In work published in the journal Nature in 2009, Neitz and several
colleagues injected a virus into the monkeys' eyes that randomly
infected some of their green-sensitive cone cells

duh. they need a study to figure out that infecting some of the cells
in an eye will affect perception?

the fact remains that people with normal vision see colours the same.

Not all people see colors the same. There are differences, whether you
admit it or not.

And when I say EOD, you will respond "wise choice."
EOD

--
PeterN
Old May 27th 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 27, 2017, David B. wrote
(in article ):

On 27/05/2017 17:57, Savageduck wrote:
On May 27, 2017, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sat, 27 May 2017 10:59:24 -0400,
wrote:

In , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Another popular bird to photo in Florida is the Sandhill Crane. Like
the pelican, they're big and you can walk right up to them. They will
walk (not fly) away from you at a fast pace, though, so it can be hard
to get a face-on shot like this:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-P.../2008-10-27-X3.
jpg

We get both the American White, and the Brown pelicans out here.
The Browns are interesting as they go through several color phases when in
breeding plumage. The American Whites, other than black wingtips with the
adults, not so much.
This is a not so shy, Brown Pelican.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/igxe51gedjysnms/_DNC0714.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/slibzn9ba62dw6a/_DNC0721.jpg

The clarity and detail in your photographs is amazing! :-)

How far away from the birds were you when you took these photographs?

6-8 ft.
As I said, this guy was not so shy.

Savageduck

Old May 27th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Not all people see colors the same. There are differences, whether you
admit it or not.

on average they do, something that's been well established for nearly
100 years.

people with colour blindness can be excluded from the masses, however,
they have their own subgroup.
Old May 27th 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/26/2017 10:41 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"nospam" wrote

| how did you save a copy if there was no link?

A couple of years ago this photo was posted.
I thought it was by SD, but I may be wrong. At
the time I saved a copy because I thought it was
a beautifully made image. A pelican, apparently
coming in for a landing. Black background. Black
water. White pelican with black on the wings.
Very dramatic. Nothing to do with any links
or images in this thread. I mentioned it and Tony
posted a couple of images he thought might be
it. They were not. I'm explaining this only because
someone other than you might understand and
remember the image. It could be that it wasn't
even linked in this newsgroup, but I thought it was.

For you, I would suggest that maybe you should
try to get some sleep.

Could you be thinking of one from this series?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8q5qkm9ynujvivh/20131222_Sanibel%20birds_0116%20modified%20for%20n eccc.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN