20D or 5D

Old August 25th 05, 02:38 PM

In message ,
pixby wrote:

The Nikon D2X produces "better" (and no I can't quantify that)

Then be honest; say you "like it better".
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 25th 05, 02:50 PM

In message ,
David Littlewood wrote:

Even more extreme.

It's not really all that uncommon a situation where you can do that. I
have taken many pictures with the EC set to +2 with no blown highlights
resulting.

Of course, you have the issue of how to get this
right in the heat of the moment. I guess this is where prior experiment
and experience comes in....

It's simply a matter of estimating contrast. If you see a reflection,
for example, in glass backed by something white, shooting at 0 EC is a
huge mistake. If you can't compromise DOF or shutter speed by "exposing
to the right" at ISO 200, then go to ISO 800 and +2; you will have a
cleaner RAW capture than if you did ISO 200 and 0 EC. Same concept
applies in fog, or in a field right after sunset or under heavy clouds
when no sky is in the image, etc. Unfortunately, the cameras don't work
in paradigms to facilitate this; I would prefer an option that behaves
in such a way that when I set the camera to +1 EC, the ISO would double
as well. This would reduce f-stop and shutter speed compromises when
making EC decisions. The camera makers are asleep, spoonfeeding us
yesterday's paradigms; and lots of people have quantized, noisy images
because they trusted that the camera would give them a good exposure at
low ISOs; if they do try +2 EC, they lose DOF or shutter speed and back
off from the +EC electric fence..
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 25th 05, 03:17 PM
David Littlewood

writes
In message ,
David Littlewood wrote:

[...]

Thanks, John, very thought-provoking. I will try this out as soon as I
get the chance.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old August 25th 05, 05:11 PM

pixby wrote:

The kill file grows, yet again.

Oh the terrible, terrible, pain of being killfiled by a proven idiot!

Old August 25th 05, 05:14 PM

Stacey wrote:

What's comical is you also called me one and I don't even shoot with a
nikon! I guess anyone who doesn't use your BRAND and doesn;t blindly ignore
any problems your BRAND may have has to be a "Nikon nutcase"?

Like I told "pixby": if you don't like being called a Nikon Nutcase,
then you should stop acting like one. (I am not holding my breath.)

Old August 25th 05, 07:27 PM
Philip Homburg

In article , wrote:
In message ,
David Littlewood wrote:

Even more extreme.

It's not really all that uncommon a situation where you can do that. I
have taken many pictures with the EC set to +2 with no blown highlights
resulting.

Of course, you have the issue of how to get this
right in the heat of the moment. I guess this is where prior experiment
and experience comes in....

It's simply a matter of estimating contrast. If you see a reflection,
for example, in glass backed by something white, shooting at 0 EC is a
huge mistake. If you can't compromise DOF or shutter speed by "exposing
to the right" at ISO 200, then go to ISO 800 and +2; you will have a
cleaner RAW capture than if you did ISO 200 and 0 EC. Same concept
applies in fog, or in a field right after sunset or under heavy clouds
when no sky is in the image, etc.

Your are talking about measurement errors. If you take a picture in fog,
afer sunset, etc. that includes a white piece of paper you still need a
camera that is capable of capturing 100% reflectance. If is only when you are
taking pictures of dull gray objects that you can leave out one or more stops
of head room.

I can't see the point of a setting that cannot record 100% reflectance.

Old August 25th 05, 07:59 PM
Leonard

Skip M wrote:

I was wondering about that 1/200 flash synch. Defeatured to distance it
from the 1 series?

Just like the EOS-3.

- Len
Old August 25th 05, 10:11 PM
Paul Schilter

Perhaps you should hold your breath, 10 minutes should do.

Old August 25th 05, 10:32 PM

Paul Schilter top posts like a moron:

Perhaps you should hold your breath, 10 minutes should do.

Hey, you can drop dead too. No skin off my nose, luser.