Selecting sizes of images onto !0 X 5 sheet

Old August 10th 09, 11:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bm

Default Selecting sizes of images onto !0 X 5 sheet

In the past I have carried out my own printing but I am now thinking of
selecting one of the professional firms to do this,
In the past I have printed all my photographs on an A4 sheet varying the
number of images from one, two, four and six with sizes of A4 ,A5, A6 and
3X4
I now wish to use the max allowed of a 10 X 8 sheet
In order to retain the correct digital proportions can anyone tell me the
respective sizes of the various images please
Blair

Old August 10th 09, 11:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

bm wrote:
In the past I have carried out my own printing but I am now thinking of
selecting one of the professional firms to do this,
In the past I have printed all my photographs on an A4 sheet varying the
number of images from one, two, four and six with sizes of A4 ,A5, A6 and
3X4
I now wish to use the max allowed of a 10 X 8 sheet
In order to retain the correct digital proportions can anyone tell me the
respective sizes of the various images please
Blair

Crop your images to 4x5 (@300 ppi) and place 4 of them on an 8x10 sheet.
You will have to butt each picture against all its neighbors, with no
space between them. Have the printer print them "Borderless"
You will have to carefully cut each image from its neighbor so no part
of image 1 is visible on image 2.
If that is too much trouble then set your crop tool to 3.9 x 4.9 inches
at 300 ppi and place all 4 images in an 8x10 space. This will allow you
to have a tiny white space between images which will simplify cutting
them apart from each other.
Bob Williams
Old August 10th 09, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
WhoDat

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:09:30 +0100, "bm" wrote:

In the past I have carried out my own printing but I am now thinking of
selecting one of the professional firms to do this,
In the past I have printed all my photographs on an A4 sheet varying the
number of images from one, two, four and six with sizes of A4 ,A5, A6 and
3X4
I now wish to use the max allowed of a 10 X 8 sheet
In order to retain the correct digital proportions can anyone tell me the
respective sizes of the various images please
Blair

The standard 10"x8" photo print paper is actually 8.5" x 11" (21.59cm x
27.95cm). Do your calculations from that. IF, of course, your chosen
professional firm uses that as a standard paper size. It will also depend
on if you are using the paper for borderless printing or if you require
borders around each image on the page. There's no single easy answer to
your question.

There are many ways to optimize space on a piece of paper and there are
many different templates available. Some sizes and proportions by mixing
portrait and landscape orientations of the same image on a page. You can
print more of the same-size images on a page if you don't mind that some of
them will be printed at 90-degrees rotations from the others. When cut
apart later this won't matter to the smaller individual prints. This also
holds true if you require multiple-size images.

Two programs that come to mind, handy for this purpose, are ACDSee's
"FotoSlate v4" (if you can still find it) and "QImage". There are others,
even Paint Shop Pro has a print-layout template library. FotoSlate has a
very comprehensive library of layouts which you may edit to pixel level,
and QImage will optimize layouts for you (using the Optimal/Optimal-Spaced
layout options) including any required borders you might need. You might
want to download the demo of QImage and let it work out your photo-layout
optimization for you. Another program for optimizing layouts of more than
just rectangular shapes is called "Real Cut 2D", though this is overkill
for simple rectangular shapes.

I would highly recommend ACDSee's FotoSlate if you can find it anywhere.
ACDSee no longer offers it, far as I know. It used to be available in
ACDSee v4's "PowerPack Suite" add-on support programs about 6 years ago.
You might still be able to find it in some pirated version online in
places. In order to install FotoSlate you'll need both, the original ACDSee
v4 and the PowerPack Suite for it. Worth it just for FotoSlate alone. Some
of the extensive templates in its "Page Library" category, "Photo Album"
and "Print Sheet" sub-categories are pretty inventive on ways they found to
maximize use of paper space on all the standard print-size papers, by
combining multiple standard image sizes and orientations on a single page.
Something that QImage wouldn't be able to accomplish automatically.

Or ... perhaps there's a layout page-template library online somewhere.
I've never searched for one. All my software has so far sufficed.

Old August 10th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
WhoDat

I would highly recommend ACDSee's FotoSlate if you can find it anywhere.
ACDSee no longer offers it, far as I know. It used to be available in
ACDSee v4's "PowerPack Suite" add-on support programs about 6 years ago.
You might still be able to find it in some pirated version online in
places.

Correction, they still sell FotoSlate, for $20. Not too bad a price for all
it can do. Just type FotoSlate into Google. I looked for it quite a while
ago and it was missing from their pages back then. I guess they made it
available again.

Old August 10th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer

bm wrote:
In the past I have carried out my own printing but I am now thinking of
selecting one of the professional firms to do this,
In the past I have printed all my photographs on an A4 sheet varying the
number of images from one, two, four and six with sizes of A4 ,A5, A6 and
3X4
I now wish to use the max allowed of a 10 X 8 sheet
In order to retain the correct digital proportions can anyone tell me the
respective sizes of the various images please
Blair

Paint Shop Pro has a neat page layout feature that allows you to place a
number of pictures on a single sheet, resize them, and they retain their
aspect ratio while you resize. You specify what paper size (and it has
to be a size that the printer you select can format to).

This is one of a couple of neat features of PSP that is better than what
PS has. I use PSP, my wife uses PS, so we have both available and use
whichever one we need for a given task.
Old August 10th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

"bm" wrote in message ...
In the past I have carried out my own printing but I am now thinking of
selecting one of the professional firms to do this,
In the past I have printed all my photographs on an A4 sheet varying the
number of images from one, two, four and six with sizes of A4 ,A5, A6
and 3X4
I now wish to use the max allowed of a 10 X 8 sheet
In order to retain the correct digital proportions can anyone tell me
the respective sizes of the various images please
Blair

One option might be to use Print Station:

http://www.picmeta.com/en/products/printstation.htm

Cheers,
David

Old August 10th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bm

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
bm wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help
Yes I can decide on the appropriate size and allow for a border or not but
my main point is that in the past I have selected standard sizes such as A5
or A6 etc.
but I am keen to retain the proportions of a digital photograph which is a
different standard
I mount 6 on a sheet or 4 on a sheet or 6 on a sheet
What are the proportions of digital photographs?
Blair

Old August 10th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
WhoDat

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:19:59 -0500, WhoDat wrote:

Some
of the extensive templates in its "Page Library" category, "Photo Album"
and "Print Sheet" sub-categories are pretty inventive on ways they found to
maximize use of paper space on all the standard print-size papers, by
combining multiple standard image sizes and orientations on a single page.
Something that QImage wouldn't be able to accomplish automatically.

Here's something interesting that I just found today when going back to
revisit FotoSlate, to be sure it would do all you need. While I've used
FotoSlate quite often in the past for special projects it seems I never
fully explored the program. I'm not real fond of anything labeled "Wizard"
either, it's usually a for-dummies feature.

Under the "Wizards" toolbar button, there's a "Paper Saver" utility. You
select/define whatever photo sizes you want, the number of them in each
size you define, then it arranges them on the selected printer paper
dimension in any way possible to maximize paper usage. You're not limited
to just browsing through the extensive available templates to find one that
uniquely maximizes paper space for predefined image sizes and aspect
ratios.

Nice.

Just thought I'd mention this.
Old August 11th 09, 08:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

bm wrote:
[...]

I am still not clear on exactly what you are trying to do.
Give a a very SPECIFIC example of what you would like to do
Also what Photo Editor do you have.
Bob
Old August 11th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bm

bm wrote:
[...]

I use Adobe Photo de Luxe Business Edition and I print all my photographs
on A4 photo paper
This means for example I can place 4 A6 photos on the A4 sheet and I can add
some narrative on the sheet.
I am now considering using a professional print service and the one I have
chosen has a maximum size of print of 10 X 8 ins
To fit my 4 A6 photos I require to reduce them. which is quite
straightforward but at the same time I thought that I would incorporate the
correct ratio which is used by digital photography
What is this ratio and how do I vary its size?
Hope this makes it clear.
Blair