40D SWIMS WITH THE FISHES !

Old February 29th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

Default 40D SWIMS WITH THE FISHES !

"Helen" wrote in message
On Feb 29, 3:30 am, "Douglas" wrote:
"Helen" wrote in message

On Feb 28, 10:35 pm, Annika1980 wrote:

Went down to the aquarium today to take a few shots.
(Scroll down to see them all.)

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/93552221/original.jpg

One would never guess these pics were taken through a thick glass. It
truly is impressive work. My fav. is the jellyfish and the
butterfly. The lighting and colors are breathtaking. The Aquarium
should be selling these pics for you in their gift shop.
Helen

Hey now there's a chance for some gender swapping, mate!

Get your bra and wig on and trot on down. Tell 'em you're the marketing
manage. If you go early enough they won't need to see the 5 O'clock
shadow.
ROTFL. Can you talk with a female voice too?

Hey Helen... How is it my email to your hotmail address last year ended up
in Hotmail's Nashville server farm and not the Toronto one?

Is that how you do the "type word for word exactly what she says before
posting it to Usenet" thing? Boy... I'd just love to see that phone bill
mate!

"Hey Helen... How is it my email to your hotmail address last year
ended up
in Hotmail's Nashville server farm and not the Toronto one? "

Douglas, did you do LSD in the sixties?! It just seems to fit the
state of mind you're in, because I have no idea what the hell you're
talking about.

BTW, I'm still waiting for Margie's phone number. Emails are indeed
too impersonal.
Helen

+61431 423760 but I think that's Douggies cell number :-(
worth a shot though :-)

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Old February 29th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Feb 28, 11:57*pm, Troy Piggins wrote:

2Mb file - why'd you string them all together?

So I wouldn't have to post 8 separate links.

Also, Douggie Dogkiller loves to steal my pics and use them for his
wallpaper. Looks like he's gonna need a bigger monitor!

Old February 29th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Feb 29, 7:45*am, wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/93552221/original.jpg

Lovely work, but as someone who has worked with large aquaria and the
denizens thereof, I should make the green-touchy-feely comment that
flash can scare/stress some of the animals and should be avoided...

**** em. Where they gonna go?

Many of the fish were actually attracted to the flash. And when I set
the Speedlight down on the ledge one of the penguins kept swimming
down to check it out.
I guess it's true what they say .....

"SPHENISCIFORMES LOVE THE 580EX!!!"
Old February 29th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Feb 29, 5:45*pm, Pudentame wrote:
Still no joy ...

Now if Bret & the 40d were *SLEEPING* with the fishes!!!

What, like Luca Brazzi?

Old March 1st 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Helen[_2_]

"Douglas" wrote in message

"Helen" wrote in message
[...]

Why can't I play golf like Tiger Woods?
Simple answer and right to the point: Talent.
Helen
Old March 1st 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Helen[_2_]

"Douglas" wrote in message

"Helen" wrote in message
[...]

Lets' not forget Skill!
Old March 1st 08, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Douglas[_6_]

"Helen" wrote in message

[...]

Well you published it all over the 'net last year. Haven't forgotten that
too have you?

Old March 1st 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
Douglas[_6_]

"Helen" wrote in message

"Douglas" wrote in message

"Helen" wrote in message
[...]

Ahhh right. Helen is golfer then?
That big fat joker with the double choc malt and donuts is the caddie! I get
it now.

Old March 1st 08, 11:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Feb 28, 11:11*pm, Helen wrote:
On Feb 28, 10:35*pm, Annika1980 wrote:

Went down to the aquarium today to take a few shots.
(Scroll down to see them all.)

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/93552221/original.jpg

One would never guess these pics were taken through a thick glass.

YMMV. While it isn't obvious in a couple of shots, it *is* obvious
in a couple others that this wasn't conventional UW photography, but
something else.

It truly is impressive work.

It is (inconsistently) good work given its limitations, but hardly
'impressive'.

Several of them would have been significantly improved by putting the
camera into an UW housing and getting in the water with the subjects,
rather than suffer the artifacts from that interposing glass wall.

*My fav. is the jellyfish and the butterfly.

The best of this bunch are the split-water image penguin, as these are
incredibly hard to do in the wild with the subject being a wild
penguin. For an outdoor real-world shot, wave action is almost always
present and will to affect your split-water framing, even more than
what was seen here, and those buggers are fast and not particularly
cooperative, which adds a second level of complexity on framing, plus
your exposure settings and focus distance is dynamic too, so there's
at least 8 degrees of freedom to try to manage to make each shot.

-hh