Making money at stock photography web sites

Old February 12th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Making money at stock photography web sites

What do you guys think of these stock photography sites?

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=59350

....and...

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/?refid=wdaph9OGqi

I guy I work with says he's making tons of money just for uploading
photos he already has in his portfolio. I don't have any "stock
photography" types of photos in my portfolio, but I was thinking about
getting into it. Before I start wasting a lot of time on something
that's not going to pay off, I thought I'd check with the group to see
if people are really making as much money as they say. Sounds too
easy.

Thanks,
John

Old February 12th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Scamming money at ....

wrote in message
ups.com...
What do you guys think of these stock photography sites?

http://.com/?ref=59

...and...

http://.com/?refid=wd

And of course those refs couldn't possibly be yours could they?
If your enquiry was genuine you would just give the naked URLs.

You say "I thought I'd check with the group to see
if people are really making as much money as they say. Sounds too
easy."

Not making as much money as you'd hoped and decided to spam your refs here?

Old February 12th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Making money at spam photography web sites

Both are obvious scam sites. I would avoid them at all costs.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old February 12th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Wow! "Scam sites?" Really? I'm curious. What do you think the scam
is since it's free to submit photography and they pay you? ...and you
maintain copyright of all your photography. ...and these web sites
featured in national photography journals. Please elaborate.

- John

Old February 12th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's not spam. Those are the links that I got from the web sites when
I clicked their "tell a friend" links. Aren't we all friends?

The operative word there is "a" - a single friend, by sending him or her the
link, not the whole of bloody Usenet.

Really, I'm just looking for some anecdotes from people who actually
have experience with these web sites. I'm not interested in reading
replies from people cocking off when they probably haven't even visited
the web sites and have no experience on which to base their opinions.

I've seen micropayment stock sites. If you want to earn about 50 cents per
sale you go ahead. Get rich and enjoy your early retirement.

Old February 12th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow! "Scam sites?" Really? I'm curious. What do you think the scam
is since it's free to submit photography and they pay you? ...and you
maintain copyright of all your photography. ...and these web sites
featured in national photography journals. Please elaborate.

I have a lot of photographs with Alamy, a proper agency. With them it's
also free to submit, you retain copyright, and they feature in the journals.
The difference is that for a sale through Alamy you'll earn at least 300
times what you will with Bigstock and the other micropayment sites.

Old February 13th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Tony" writes:

Both are obvious scam sites. I would avoid them at all costs.

A friend of a friend (yeah...but a specific named friend of this
friend of mine, not just a random story making the rounds) says she's
making over $400 a month from Shutterstock. And reading their
policies and procedures there's nothing that trips *my* "scam
detectors".

I can understand how people may not like the payment terms -- it's
$.20/download. However, the membership terms are also structured so
that downloads will be much more common than final uses -- basically
people signed up as users get a *large* number of downloads a month
for their basic fee, so they end up working with actual photos for
comping rather than watermarked copies, and the money ends up getting
split between the photos considered instead of all going to the one
finally chosen.

I suspect it's a very bad deal for people with photos already
successful in traditional stock situations. However, traditional
stock situations are unreasonably expensive for lots of places where
stock photos could be of some use.

The times, they are a-changing.
Old February 13th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Helen" writes:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow! "Scam sites?" Really? I'm curious. What do you think the scam
is since it's free to submit photography and they pay you? ...and you
maintain copyright of all your photography. ...and these web sites
featured in national photography journals. Please elaborate.

I have a lot of photographs with Alamy, a proper agency. With them it's
also free to submit, you retain copyright, and they feature in the journals.
The difference is that for a sale through Alamy you'll earn at least 300
times what you will with Bigstock and the other micropayment sites.

And that's part of the equation. How common are sales at Alamy
compared to downloads at Shutterstock?
Old February 13th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bob,

If I send you $5.00 can you just give me a hint?