Depth of field - two of them?

Old February 9th 19, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Depth of field - two of them?

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 02:41:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 8 February 2019 01:34:02 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 22:58:47 -0600, Bill W
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 16:51:50 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

Upload
speeds are about 25% of the upload speeds.

they should be the same.

In my case they are throttled.

your isp might be asymmetric, but that has nothing to do with the ipad.

But it is a factor in why I don't like using it for applications such
as Google.

I really hate to ask this, but are you using an ipad you got from a
cellular company? If so, are you sure it is switching over to wifi at
home? I ask this only because that was the issue my sister had.

It's a 3rd generation iPad I bought from Apple many years ago. It's
got lots of memory and room for a sim card but I have never got around
to installing one.

This show you have little understanding of an iPad.
The SIM card isn't for storage it'll just allow you to use a cellular network.

Has nospam recently given you a transfusion. I wasn't attributing
anything to the sim card (or not). I was meely describing the iPad.

The momory of each iPad is fixed you can;lt change it or buy more and I doubt yuo know how much memeory yuor ipad has

64 GB storage.

I never knew how much memeory my iPad3 had. But I did know it had 32GB of storage space which is NOT the same as memory but of course there are mant people that don't understand this, and therefor get the terms confused.
In a similar way everyone says the sun rises/sets but only the inteligent know it's an illustion the sun is staying where it is, it's the earths rotation is what makes us see the sun is rising/falling.

Eric Stevens
Old February 9th 19, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 10:27:43 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

what i take issue with is that you're blaming the device when it's not
the device at all.

The device contains the user interface at the end of a long pipe line.
It isn't connected by ethernet to a highspeed fibre but relies on
wifi.

802.11ac wifi is faster than your high speed fibre link, with 802.11ax
routers starting to appear.

Where do you think my wifi signal comes from?

an obsolete router.

you don't have an 802.11ac and certainly not ax router. it's n.

the limiting factor are gigabit lans (isp is irrelevant), which is why
some new routers have 10g-e.

and that doesn't actually matter anyway, since searching in no way will
saturate a gigabit isp connection.

It's the hit a key and wait while it sends it to Google and then
Google sends back a response. Then hit another key etc. Pages swap
backwards and forward. Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's quicker
after that but one screen at a time ...

it doesn't take anywhere near 10 seconds to do a search on an ipad.

I'm talking about when first starting up.

something is *very* wrong.

It has a small screen so can't easily run more than one graphic
page at a time.

it absolutely can.

Not big enough to contain useful blocks of information.

nonsense.

Yes, they are big enough to hold nonsense.

https://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-c...S-11-iPAd-Pro-
multitasking.png

It says something that you think that standard of display is enough
for a serious search.

it's an example of 'more than one graphic page at a time'.

But not good enough for serious search.

and that doesn't even address browser tabs, which are each a 'graphic
page'.

you are wrong.

It has no physical keyboard but relies on the
simulation of one via a touch screen.

both usb and bluetooth keyboards work without issue, and the onscreen
keyboard is in no way a simulation.

OK. A tablet is easier to use if you buy it a keyboard. That's my
point. Without a keyboard it is less convenient.

except when it isn't.

not everything needs a keyboard.

It's good for solitaire.

that's one reason why tablets are better in many cases.

It has no mouse and requires
various gestures on the screen, both singly and in combination, to
achieve would would be done by a mouse on a desktop.

that's called direct manipulation, which makes it a lot more powerful
for many tasks.

Most of which are of little use to me.

most of which you've never used.

Eric Stevens
Old February 9th 19, 09:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 03:13:39 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 8 February 2019 09:35:15 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:

As does throttled HS Fibre.

How do you know it;s throttled and not just a crap server or bad connection or over use because the ISP is taking on more than they have capacity for which has happened in the UK.

Because ikt is in my contract with my ISP. I could get it completely
unthrottled but that would cost me more. I don't need it.

My ISP applies throttling on the cheaper connection deals you can have.
something like on 9-5 weekdays during peak demand.
If you pay more than throttle less.
Sometimes they throttle individual services such as bittorrent.

I don;t thik they have the ability (yet) to target particular devices and decide well we'll only thottle ipads today and tomorro it will be samsung paid and the day after dell PCs etc...

It's only in nospam's mind that anyone is targeting iPads.

Eric Stevens
Old February 9th 19, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 03:00:12 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 8 February 2019 02:01:13 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 05:28:11 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

Well you haven't come up with any other solution that seems viable in the real world to why yuor ipad and desktop are showing difernt speeds.

I've already mentioned wifi. There is competition from two
neighbouring houses plus the attenuation caused by the structure of my
own house, acording to where it might be.

So nothing to do with the ipad then

I never said it was, except to the extent that it uses wifi while my
desktop is hard wired.

it;s a wifi problem that if yuo used yuor PC on wifi yuo;d get the same or similar problem, which you;d also get with any andriod device or ANY other device on wifi.

My desktop is not wifi.

what are yuo using to test.

Speed testers offered by several local ISPs.

Are you using 2G or 5G or anyhting else on the iPad that's the options I have in the UK, it could be differnt in the US.

It's certainly different in New Zealand.

I'm betting my iphone7 is faster on wifi than your desktop is, wanna do sone tests, but I'd suggest that would be a bit unfair due to servers and location.

I don't spend all day carrying out speed tests.

It take sabout 30 second on a mac or iPad it should take a similar time on a PC provided it stayed up and running that long ;-)

It's the overall
combination of touch screen vs keyboard and the user interface
provided by the software.

No it isn't

You are getting as bad as nospam.

You don't seem to have done any sort of testing, if I found 2 devices that had such differing network speeds that I didnlt understand I'd want to find out why.
I've had speeds on my iPad of over 180MB download.
My desktop Macs can be faster but only if using a wired cable.

I AM using a wired cable. T1000 hooked up to highspeed glass fibre.
Only the iPad has to use wifi.

Yes as do smartphones and most devices that are thought of as portable.
That ios NOT the fault of the device but a faulty user.

So use this https://www.speedtest.net/
and post the results and I'l see if my mac and phone speeds are compared to your PC and iPad.

It's nospam who is seeing my comment as an attack directed
at Apple.

You did seem to direct it towards the iPad .

It's the only tablet I own.

So you can't compare it with anything else then can you.
How about your phone or other PCs ?

It's slow because it relies on a wifi link. My desktop is many times
faster.

So did you compare yuor desktop wifi and the ipad wifi. ?

The desk top was on wifi. The speeds were comparable with those on the
iPad but I still found the user experience more desirable on the desk
top.

Whatever that means is irrelivent to the facts and figures.
It;s smilar to camera I prefer using a proper camera b ut I donlt want to carry one around with me every day, but I'm happy enough with the results from my iphone for general usage.

wifi is almost always slower than an ethernet cable.

I know.

But don't understand why it seems.

Eric Stevens
Old February 9th 19, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

On 2/8/19 10:27 AM, wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:
Can I use my iMac Bluetooth Keypad to control my iPad?

you? probably not, but others certainly can.

you have difficulty doing even the most basic things.

looks like i was *exactly* on target.

Since I have neither an iMac Bluetooth keypad or iPad, I can't say how
helpful the info at the cite is, but it may be a starting point.
Hopefully it is more helpful than nospam's response.

my response was not intended to be helpful because the person asking is
an ignorant retarded troll.

Utter rubbish. You simply don't know how to do it! :-P

there's nothing to know. it 'just works'.

at least for others, it does.

I doubt it can be done without using an App from the Apple App store.

what apps did you use to connect a keyboard to your mac and pc?
Old February 9th 19, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's the hit a key and wait while it sends it to Google and then
Google sends back a response. Then hit another key etc. Pages swap
backwards and forward. Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's quicker
after that but one screen at a time ...

it doesn't take anywhere near 10 seconds to do a search on an ipad.

I'm talking about when first starting up.

first starting what up?

the ipad? that should never be shut off unless it's not going to be
used for a very long time and its startup has absolutely nothing
whatsoever to do with searching.

if you mean app launch time (which is not called startup), it doesn't
take anywhere near 10 seconds to launch a browser on an ipad.

some other apps might take several seconds to launch, typically games,
usually to load assets and create various objects so that the app can
run at optimal speeds, rather than dynamically do it later.

something is *very* wrong.

why do you keep ignoring this and refuse to fix what is wrong?
Old February 9th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 10:18:30 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's the hit a key and wait while it sends it to Google and then
Google sends back a response. Then hit another key etc. Pages swap
backwards and forward. Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's quicker
after that but one screen at a time ...

it doesn't take anywhere near 10 seconds to do a search on an ipad.

I'm talking about when first starting up.

first starting what up?

Google

Old February 10th 19, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's the hit a key and wait while it sends it to Google and then
Google sends back a response. Then hit another key etc. Pages swap
backwards and forward. Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's quicker
after that but one screen at a time ...

it doesn't take anywhere near 10 seconds to do a search on an ipad.

I'm talking about when first starting up.

first starting what up?

Google

as you've been repeatedly told, and which you not only acknowledged,
but agreed, there is no reason to use that app to do a search, so why
are you still using it?

the answer is clearly that you are not interested in improving anything.
Old February 10th 19, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 18:02:57 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's the hit a key and wait while it sends it to Google and then
Google sends back a response. Then hit another key etc. Pages swap
backwards and forward. Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's quicker
after that but one screen at a time ...

it doesn't take anywhere near 10 seconds to do a search on an ipad.

I'm talking about when first starting up.

first starting what up?

Google

as you've been repeatedly told, and which you not only acknowledged,
but agreed, there is no reason to use that app to do a search, so why
are you still using it?

Who said I am?