Videoing from a moving Bike without too much shake?

Old March 5th 08, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.models.engineering,rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Default Videoing from a moving Bike without too much shake?

J. Chisholm wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
In article , Ian Jackson
says...
In article
,
zzapper wrote:
At the weekend I wanted to film from my bike using a simple hand-held
camera. Well I decided that the results were just too shaky. I also
learnt that I needed to cycle slower, that I can correct, but any tips/
experience on reducing the shaking?
Fix the camera to the bike, or to your clothing ? Gaffer-tape or
string may do the trick.

It's the bike that's transmitting road shock to the camera, so fixing
it more rigidly will only exacerbate the problem.

I'd thought of using my handlebar bag. I'd line it with foam and then
tape the camera to an engineering brick. The foam would absorb the
shocks, and the brick would give extra inertia to the camera to stop
vibrations.

Hmm. Clearly what's *wanted* is a bike mounted steadicam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steadicam

Anything that can smooth out a running cameraman could *easily*
smooth out the ripple-vibration from a bike.

In fact, it would be overkill.

So I wonder, can a "lesser" (and cheaper...) steadicam be improvised
that's good enough for a camera mounted bike?

BugBear (who added some cross posting to photographic and engineering groups)
Old March 5th 08, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.models.engineering,rec.photo.digital
bugbear

bugbear wrote:
Hmm. Clearly what's *wanted* is a bike mounted steadicam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steadicam

Anything that can smooth out a running cameraman could *easily*
smooth out the ripple-vibration from a bike.

In fact, it would be overkill.

So I wonder, can a "lesser" (and cheaper...) steadicam be improvised
that's good enough for a camera mounted bike?

Ah. Given the right keywords, all seaches
are simple:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY%...y-Cam---mount/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Upda...ted-steadicam/

BugBear