Anyone using the Nikon 28-70/2.8?

Old March 1st 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr.systems,rec.photo.digital
Tully Albrecht

Default Anyone using the Nikon 28-70/2.8?

I know this is a great heavy beast of a lens. I hefted one on another
photographer's F5 and really couldn't believe the weight, but he raves
about the pictures, and says he uses it for easily three-quarters of
his photos, even though he owns three other pro-grade lenses and a
dozen or so prosumer zooms and manual Nikkors combined.

Anyone confirm or deny that this doorstop has great image quality?
Who's using it for both film and digital?

I've avoided buying any $1000+ glass so far, but if I have a patriotic
duty to spend my "economic stimulus" check quickly...
--
Vanity is so secure in the heart of man that everyone wants to be
admired: even I who write this, and you who read this.

Old March 1st 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr.systems,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Tully Albrecht wrote:
I know this is a great heavy beast of a lens. I hefted one on another
photographer's F5 and really couldn't believe the weight, but he raves
about the pictures, and says he uses it for easily three-quarters of his
photos, even though he owns three other pro-grade lenses and a dozen or
so prosumer zooms and manual Nikkors combined.

Anyone confirm or deny that this doorstop has great image quality? Who's
using it for both film and digital?

Not I but here's a glowing review from a reputable source:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zo...tml#AFS28-70ED

Old March 2nd 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dentist

well... the 28-70 has been replaced by the new 24-70 mm
lighter better performance and a few extra mm of focal length
try this out and you'll love it

I used the "old" 28-70 for years ... but would never go back after
working with the 24-70mm
and take a look at the new 14-24mm as well ... wow what a wide angle
zoom lens ..

So along with my D300 and these two lenses I have an almost complete
set of what I need most ...

have a great Sunday
Old March 4th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr.systems,rec.photo.digital
Jufi[_4_]

When I had my F100, I shot one of these for a few years. Excelent lens, no
question about it. Zoom mechanism was somewhat stiff, but not too bad. In
the end, it was just too big and heavy so I dumped it for the old 35-70
2.8D, which is a push/pull zoom, but a really nice piece of glass. Much
smaller and lighter, too.

Old March 4th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr.systems,rec.photo.digital
Jufi[_4_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
. net...
Tully Albrecht wrote:
I know this is a great heavy beast of a lens. I hefted one on another
photographer's F5 and really couldn't believe the weight, but he raves
about the pictures, and says he uses it for easily three-quarters of his
photos, even though he owns three other pro-grade lenses and a dozen or
so prosumer zooms and manual Nikkors combined.

Anyone confirm or deny that this doorstop has great image quality? Who's
using it for both film and digital?

Not I but here's a glowing review from a reputable source:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zo...tml#AFS28-70ED

I used to think Bjorn was reputable until his "comparison" of the 1DsII and
D2x. It was a joke that blatantly skewed results towards the Nikon by
shooting test shots using the same focal length lens, and then cropping the
Canon to even up the angle of view. That's right, he actually cropped one
camera and then compared the results. Amazingly stupid, but that's what he
did.