Which one you like the most and why.

Old March 11th 04, 10:19 AM
Richard Vanek

Default Which one you like the most and why.

Hello,

recently I developed few rolls from session where I was taking pictures of
two girls playing some kind of game. I select seven pictures at
http://piskoftak.com/last_roll.phtml I like to include on or two in my
bigger project about childhood and so I like to select from this set. I
already have my choice, I was just wondering what you would pick.

I would like to ask you to select one or two of them and tell me why you
find it the best. You can use e-mail on web page or respond here.

I really appreciate you constructive opinion and thank you in advance for
your time.

--
Richard Vanek
http://piskoftak.com/

Old March 11th 04, 07:16 PM
-xiray-

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:19:16 +0100, "Richard Vanek"
wrote:

I would like to ask you to select one or two of them and tell me why you
find it the best.

You asked so....

In these Pogs photos the lighting makes them very flat, lacking in
contrast. The long shadows indicate they were taken late in the day,
and as a result most things of interest are in shadow and there not
much contrast between the elements (and on the other hand there are
burned out areas of white, like on the girl's had where the sun hits
directly). So overall, the lighting in these photos make them less
than desirable.

Compositionally, no image in this Pogs series does anything for me.

These are mediocre shots.

..... though you managed to bring out the detail in the
concrete/asphalt in some of them. But texture is not what you were
going for.

Now lets talk about another shot. The "Brothers" shot in the other
gallery. This is a almost good photo. It would have been better if the
head of the one kid did not get in the way of the houses in the
background and if there was more contrast in this shot.

You might want to print on a higher contrast paper.

The shots in the "Kids" gallery are composed better, but the pic of
the kids on the trampoline really does not capture anything (and why
is the middle kids head obscured. I have a tramp in my backyard and I
know that it is possible to capture the joy of jumping much better
than you have done.

In Portraits, the gypsy shot has definite lighting problems.

Old March 12th 04, 08:00 AM
Richard Vanek

Xiray,

thank you for your critical, mail. I appreciate your view.

In these Pogs photos the lighting makes them very flat, lacking in
contrast. The long shadows indicate they were taken late in the day,

The picture Pogy 2 you referring in following lines, is in my opinion quite
contrast. And if motif on her hat get burned let it be it was totally white.
I was more interested to capture the atmosphere of girl's play than texture
on hat. I personally likes those shadows and that what attract me even more
when I saw them.

Compositionally, no image in this Pogs series does anything for me.
These are mediocre shots.

Can I see some shots you like?

When I summarize, you did answer my question and your answer is: I do not
like none of them. Is that correct?

Thanks that you look further on my web site...

Now lets talk about another shot. The "Brothers" shot in the other
gallery. This is a almost good photo. It would have been better if the
head of the one kid did not get in the way of the houses in the
background and if there was more contrast in this shot.

There must be misunderstanding of contrast in our view. I can't imagine more
contrast shot than this one. (for the others:
http://piskoftak.com/photo/2003-42-04/), for me it is quite a lot of
contrast which (for me) underline heavy weather in picture.

The shots in the "Kids" gallery are composed better, but the pic of
the kids on the trampoline really does not capture anything (and why
is the middle kids head obscured.

I agree that is technical problem in that picture. But what if they try to
hide behind the bar for me? Who knows? you?

In Portraits, the gypsy shot has definite lighting problems.

Agree, the image doesn't reflect print. Will correct that. Thanks to
notifying me.

---
Richard Vanek
http://piskoftak.com/

Old March 12th 04, 01:54 PM
Yi Chen

I will pick "Pogy 6". The reason is this angle gives more visual impact (to
my eyes).This photo also focus on the two girls movement,
and the viewers don't have know understand the game itself.

Yi Chen
http://www.yiphoto.com/

"Richard Vanek" дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ

Old March 12th 04, 09:03 PM
-xiray-

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:00:19 +0100, "Richard Vanek"
wrote:

There must be misunderstanding of contrast in our view. I can't imagine more
contrast shot than this one. (for the others:
http://piskoftak.com/photo/2003-42-04/), for me it is quite a lot of
contrast which (for me) underline heavy weather in picture.

That is one of the better shots. But I think that changing the
composition so that the boy's head did not obstructed the houses and
so that the end of the path they are walking on could be seen would
have made it a better shot.

Old March 13th 04, 12:47 PM
Richard Vanek

xiray

I would like to know what kind of photograps you like. Could you put here
some links to your favorite (not mine) photos?

thanks

--
richard vanek
http://piskoftak.com/

Old March 15th 04, 09:08 PM
-xiray-

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:47:22 +0100, "Richard Vanek"
wrote:

xiray

I would like to know what kind of photograps you like. Could you put here
some links to your favorite (not mine) photos?

thanks

Honestly, that's a tough question to answer. It would be easier to
thumb through photo books and show you that it would be to point to
someplace on the web.

There's a lot to at this site http://www.masters-of-photography.com/
but honestly there's a lot there that I don't like. Usually when it
comes to the "masters" each has a few shots that I think are
brilliant. But sometimes I view their work and scratch my head (as I
do with Callahan, though there's a shot of just grass that is superb,
not sure if it is on that site though).

I can understand why you'd want to know what I do think is great art
-- so you can put my comments in perspective. It would however, take a
lot of time for me to put all that together and I'm not sure I have
the strength.

Besides, you'd probably be better off looking through the photography
books at your local library. That would give you an idea of what
editors and publishers think is great art (and sometimes there'll be
some text thrown in to tell you why)

Old March 16th 04, 08:49 PM
Richard Vanek

Hi,

I can understand why you'd want to know what I do think is great art
-- so you can put my comments in perspective. It would however, take a
lot of time for me to put all that together and I'm not sure I have
the strength.

That is exactly what I wanted. It is a pity that you not going to do, I
believe it woudn't be a problem to pickup two, three shots from
magnumphotos.com or whatever place you like. Juts wanted to know how I
should weight your opinion.

But anyway just leave it.

--
richard vanek
http://piskoftak.com/

Old March 17th 04, 10:51 PM
Kianoosh Yazdani

I agree with Yi-Xen. The perspective in Pogy 6 is really fanastic. and also
I like the long shadows in Pogy 2. I'd like to know which ones are your
favorite once you've made your final decision.

Cheers

Kianoosh

http://www.photoeast.ca/?pg_user_id=18

hlink.net...

Old March 17th 04, 10:58 PM
Richard Vanek

Kianoosh,

thank you for your opinion,

I agree with Yi-Xen. The perspective in Pogy 6 is really fanastic. and

also
I like the long shadows in Pogy 2. I'd like to know which ones are your
favorite once you've made your final decision.

I believe I am going for Pogy 2. I like the light there and also the fact
that you can see all actors and you somehow get feeling about what's going
on.

I am preparing small project about childhood. You can come back to my site
in few days to see first draft, if you like.

--
Richard Vanek
http://piskoftak.com/