Non-Canon photo papers for PIXMA iP8500?

Old April 3rd 05, 04:48 AM
tomviolin

Default Non-Canon photo papers for PIXMA iP8500?

I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.

Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
store brands like Office Max photo paper?

I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
variety than, say, HP.

I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.

Help, Anyone?

Old April 3rd 05, 05:02 AM
Burt

I have a canon i960 (six color photo printer) and have had beautiful results
with Costco Kirkland photo glossy paper, 125 sheets @ $19. Epson glossy
photo paper does well with canon inks as well, and the Epson matte double
sided paper is quite good for greeting cards or anything else you want to
print double sided. The back side of the costco paper will not take ink at
all. The epson glossy photo paper has a very faint logo printed in a repeat
pattern on the back, non-glossy side. You can print both sides of this
paper and the logo printed on the back is so faint that most people don't
notice it. I have not liked Kodak paper for my Epson printer or the canon
i960, and there is no need for me to even consider it as the papers I have
mentioned above satisfy my printing needs.

oups.com...

Old April 3rd 05, 07:41 AM
measekite

I have tried Canon Photo Paper Pro, Surething, and Office Depot paper
printing the same professional photograph supplied by Adobe. Office
Depot was ok. Surething was good but the Canon Photo Paper Pro was just
superb. The Canon paper was like glass and the Surething should some
texture.

I also have but have not tried Costco Kirkland Glossy photo paper. I
have not spent any effort on determining who makes it but it is made in
Switzerland and Ilford has a plant there as well. It may be Ilford
Gallerie Paper. I hear it is good.

I also heard that people are having trouble with Kodak paper when using
Canon printers.

Old April 3rd 05, 07:43 AM
measekite

Burt wrote:

I have a canon i960 (six color photo printer) and have had beautiful results
with Costco Kirkland photo glossy paper, 125 sheets @ $19. Epson glossy
photo paper does well with canon inks as well

While Canon Tech support claims that Canon Photo Paper Pro is superior
they too told me in writing that Epson Paper produces good results with
Canon Printers using OEM ink.

, and the Epson matte double
sided paper is quite good for greeting cards or anything else you want to
print double sided. The back side of the costco paper will not take ink at
all. The epson glossy photo paper has a very faint logo printed in a repeat
pattern on the back, non-glossy side. You can print both sides of this
paper and the logo printed on the back is so faint that most people don't
notice it. I have not liked Kodak paper for my Epson printer or the canon
i960, and there is no need for me to even consider it as the papers I have
mentioned above satisfy my printing needs.

roups.com...

Old April 4th 05, 09:56 PM
measekite

tomviolin wrote:

I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.

Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
store brands like Office Max photo paper?

Do not use Kodak. Ilford it is said is good. People with Canon
printers have also used Costco/Kirkland made in Switzerland glossy.
That may be made by Ilford also located in Switzerland for some of its
production.

I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
variety than, say, HP.

While expensive, Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best I have seen so far.