Interfacing Kodak DCS-460 to Win/XP computer

Old July 28th 04, 07:15 PM
Ron Baird

Default Interfacing Kodak DCS-460 to Win/XP computer

Greetings Gisle,

I am with you, I would go with the card reader. Useful for all kinds of
things as well as getting your images into your system. Good luck, let me
know if you think I can help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

I've just aquired a Kodak DCS-460 digicam.

Storage is on a removable harddisk (PCMCIA type III) and it has
a SCSI interface.

What is the best way to get images from the camera and to my computer
(HP minitower running Windows-XP)?

The computer does not (yet) have a SCSI interface, nor does it have a
slot for PCMCIA (of any type). It has plenty of free slots and an USB
interface.

It looks as if I've three options:

1. Buy a USB card reader for PCMCIA type III cards.
2. Install a SCSI adapter in the PC.
3. Replace the PCMCIA type III harddisk with PCMCIA type I or II.

Any other suggestions?

- Currently, my preferred solution is #1 (USB card reader for PCMCIA
type III cards). In particular, if I can get a model that also
handles CF (CompactFlash) and SM (SmartMedia), that will be great.

Old July 30th 04, 03:02 AM
Fred McKenzie

It looks as if I've three options:

1. Buy a USB card reader for PCMCIA type III cards.
2. Install a SCSI adapter in the PC.
3. Replace the PCMCIA type III harddisk with PCMCIA type I or II.

Any other suggestions?

Gisle-

One more. Get one or more Compact Flash cards plus a CF-to-PCMCIA adapter for
use in the camera, and a CF-to-USB adapter for use with your computer.

You didn't say how big the hard disk is, but Compact Flash cards are readily
available at 512 MB. I've heard they are made up to 2 GB, but it is more
economical to buy several smaller cards instead.

The maximum size card you get may be determined by how big a card the camera
can read. The minimum size may be determined by how many pictures you can fit
on it, and whether you can get by with that few.

You need to know if the old camera will work with Compact Flash cards. Perhaps
there is a camera store that will let you try it with your camera before
buying. I wonder if Ron Baird can find out from the Kodak Engineering
Department?

Fred