Chinese lge format films

Old January 19th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Neil Purling

Default Chinese lge format films

On Ebay I have seen two sorts of 4x5 film: ERA and Shanghai. They are both
of 100ASA speed.
I am curious about them. Has anybody here tried them?
As the vendors usuallty prefer PayPal, is it safe to use it to that area?

Old January 19th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Neil Purling spake thus:

On Ebay I have seen two sorts of 4x5 film: ERA and Shanghai. They are both
of 100ASA speed.
I am curious about them. Has anybody here tried them?

No, but film is cheap; you ought to try them (and then report your
results back here).

As the vendors usuallty prefer PayPal, is it safe to use it to that area?

I'd say so, yes. eBay has become pretty safe overall, especially if you
use PayPal (even though I *hate* PayPal and refuse to use it as a seller).

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old January 23rd 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Neil Purling

My main issue is that I would have to deal with a company in China or Taiwan
and they prefer PayPal.
One would accept US$ in the post, naturally I was dubious as to the safety
of doing that.
Anyone used the Shanghai or ERA sheet film and can tell this group if it's
quality makes it worth bothering ordering some for myself.

Old January 26th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John Boy

"Neil Purling" wrote

I am curious about them. Has anybody here tried them?
As the vendors usuallty prefer PayPal, is it safe to use it to that area?

PayPal is as safe as any payment, provided you log into PayPal and aren't
phished into a fake site. Whether they actually deliver the film is another
story, but to date I've not had any problem.

Old January 26th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"John Boy" wrote in message

"Neil Purling" wrote

I am curious about them. Has anybody here tried them?
As the vendors usuallty prefer PayPal, is it safe to use it to that area?

PayPal is as safe as any payment, provided you log into PayPal and aren't
phished into a fake site. Whether they actually deliver the film is
another story, but to date I've not had any problem.

Clarification, please, being that I find this particular response just a wee
bit on the ambiguous side:

1. You've had no problem with PayPal, the vendor having received your
payment to him in a timely fashion.

2. You've had no problem with the vendor delivering the film to you on a
timely basis.

3. You've had no problem with this Chinese film.

Old January 31st 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Garry

On the subject of the Large Format Chinese film presently available on
ebay, not only do I share John Boy's interest in this film, I'm
curious to know what sort of import duty a US resident would be
reguired to pay, if any. What about on film or paper from Canada?
Would anyone be willing to make a call or two to find out?

Thanks
Garry

Old January 31st 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Neil Purling

I wondered what the performance of the film would be like, compared to
whatever other 100ASA films people may have used. There is the matter that
shipping from Taiwan or China may be expensive, plus Customs charge as well.
The shipping cost and a Customs charge might wipe out the cost benefit.

Old January 31st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John Boy

"Neil Purling" wrote in message
. uk...
I wondered what the performance of the film would be like, compared to
whatever other 100ASA films people may have used. There is the matter that
shipping from Taiwan or China may be expensive, plus Customs charge as
well. The shipping cost and a Customs charge might wipe out the cost
benefit.

No customs. Shipping isn't bad, either. You can calculate it right on the
Net,

Old February 1st 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Ric Trexell

"John Boy" wrote in message
"Garry" wrote in message
ps.com...
On the subject of the Large Format Chinese film presently available on
ebay, not only do I share John Boy's interest in this film, I'm
curious to know what sort of import duty a US resident would be
reguired to pay, if any.

No duty.

What about on film or paper from Canada?

No duty.

Another of the advantages of this film is that it supports the Communist's
in power in China. Also, it will help to destroy the film industrys in the
US and other countries that allow Christians to freely practice their faith.
Also, this will help Red China to become the super power it desires to
become and someday dictate to the US conditions that we will have to obey to
turn free China (Tiawan) over to them. Yes, by all means join with your
comrades and purchase Communist products to support the eventual take over
by them. Photographers of the world unite. Ric in Wisconsin.