hasselblad and Rolleiflex

Old September 7th 04, 08:05 AM
whitewave

maybe starting with rolleiflex TLR is cheaper than starting with
Hassie and you can have excellent results: you can have a good
training and some resutls soon.

I don't think it's cheaper. A 500cm+80 black+A12 costs as much as a
Rolleiflex 3.5F and a Rolleiflex 2.8F is more expensive than that
Hassy kit.

After few time you can decide to empty your piggybank with buying an
Hasselblad outfit. But if you stay in tune with Rolleiflex (I've two,
a Tesar and a Planar 2,8) is the same quality that hasselblad, and
you can find exciting to shoot with the same focal length everytime:
it's a real challenge.

Yes the 80 lense will be the one I want to use mostly.
But, are you sure that they have the same quality?
I know very well Hassy results, but I've never seen with my eyes a
print from Rolleiflex Planar or Xenotar.

My choice for Rolleiflex is a 3,5 F camera. What do you think about
Xenotar vs. Planar?

Never tryed Xenotar but Planar works excellent.

Thanks.

ciao

Ciao Stefano.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it

Old September 7th 04, 08:45 AM
David J. Littleboy

"whitewave" wrote:

maybe starting with rolleiflex TLR is cheaper than starting with
Hassie and you can have excellent results: you can have a good
training and some resutls soon.

I don't think it's cheaper. A 500cm+80 black+A12 costs as much as a
Rolleiflex 3.5F and a Rolleiflex 2.8F is more expensive than that
Hassy kit.

You should be able to find pre-1960 Rolleis for under US$500. These are
really fine cameras and a pleasure to use. More recent Rollei TLRs are
ridiculously overpriced. A relatively recent Hassy 501CM (or whatever) in
good shape should be about US$1200.

After few time you can decide to empty your piggybank with buying an
Hasselblad outfit. But if you stay in tune with Rolleiflex (I've two,
a Tesar and a Planar 2,8) is the same quality that hasselblad, and
you can find exciting to shoot with the same focal length everytime:
it's a real challenge.

Yes the 80 lense will be the one I want to use mostly.
But, are you sure that they have the same quality?
I know very well Hassy results, but I've never seen with my eyes a
print from Rolleiflex Planar or Xenotar.

At the risk of repeating myself, the right answer is looking more and more
like "none of the above", i.e. Mamiya 7. About the same price as a Hassy
kit, the Mamiya 7 is a sharper contrastier lens (this shouldn't be a
surprise: it's a full stop slower and isn't a retrofocus design like the
Hassy 80/2.8) and has 50% more film for A4 aspect ratio prints.

Thanks to Martin Francis for reminding me of this link.

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/fourcameras.html

And much gratitude to Chris P. for doing our homeworkg.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 7th 04, 12:22 PM
Stefano Bramato

Il computer puo essere un grande strumento, ma in mano a whitewave
sta a vedè che scrive sul niusgrup:
I don't think it's cheaper. A 500cm+80 black+A12 costs as much as a
Rolleiflex 3.5F and a Rolleiflex 2.8F is more expensive than that
Hassy kit.

I don't think so.
Ebay is convenient and if you look you can stay down to 400-500$
easily for a 2.8 Planar Rolleiflex. Cheaper than Hassie.

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!

Old September 7th 04, 12:23 PM
Stefano Bramato

Il computer puo essere un grande strumento, ma in mano a whitewave
sta a vedè che scrive sul niusgrup:
Yes the 80 lense will be the one I want to use mostly.
But, are you sure that they have the same quality?

Yes. Almost the same if not better in same cases.

I know very well Hassy results, but I've never seen with my eyes a
print from Rolleiflex Planar or Xenotar.

Trust us!!
Or google to have more infos.

CIao!

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!