Use software to control camera

Old August 5th 04, 07:01 AM
Jerry

Default Use software to control camera

We are trying to setup several high resolution cameras to monitor a
remote location 24x7. The plan is to connect one computer to each
camera and use the computer to automatically control the camera to
take pictures. After the picture is taken, we would like to download
the picture and send the picture back to our monitoring center using
DSL and store the picture into central storage. I have several
questions:

1. Is Canon 10D a good choice for computer controlled picture taking?
2. How do I write software to download picture from 10D? Can 10D work
as a virtual harddrive where I can just copy the picture from drive D
to drive C while the camera is taking picture?
3. One of the problems that we have is how to take pictures at night?
Because of the distance, flash is not going to work. Is there any way
that we can increase the exposure time with software?
4. If 10D is not a good choice for this purpose, please let me know
what is a good choice.

Thanks.
Old August 5th 04, 10:14 AM

Jerry wrote:
1. Is Canon 10D a good choice for computer controlled picture taking?

Canon poublished their SDK to enable you to do this so should be. All
the big manufacturers should do this - check out their SDK feature sets
and the feature sets of their cameras and find which you like the best.

2. How do I write software to download picture from 10D? Can 10D work
as a virtual harddrive where I can just copy the picture from drive D
to drive C while the camera is taking picture?

Get the SDK from Canon - it has all the API information.
You can get software already written that may be able to do what you
want with some additional work on sending the files to your server,
e.g:
http://www.breezesys.com/products.htm#dslr

3. One of the problems that we have is how to take pictures at night?
Because of the distance, flash is not going to work. Is there any way
that we can increase the exposure time with software?

Yep - through the SDK.

Old August 5th 04, 07:36 PM
Jerry

Thanks for the useful information.

Is there a similar SDK remote control software for SONY F828 or Nikon cameras?

Old August 10th 04, 01:51 AM
Big Bill

On 4 Aug 2004 23:01:01 -0700, (Jerry) wrote:

[...]

I'm certainly no expert in this, Jerry, but I'm going to ask a few
questions that might help others...
What is it that you're trying to take pics of? I ask because this has
a bearing on your question about whether the 10D is a good camera for
this.
What environment are you in? I mean, a parking lot or a jungle? It
makes a difference.
How many pics will you be taking? Low light is a bitch; with digital,
it can be hard to handle it right, but IR film might do the trick. Or,
alternatively, can light be added to the subject?
Need input!

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"