Getting ready to purchase Kodak DX6490 - Have a few questions

Old June 24th 04, 01:45 AM
sewerrat

Default Getting ready to purchase Kodak DX6490 - Have a few questions

I've decided to purchase this camera and have been googling for 5-6
hours trying to find one on-line shop that has all the items I want:
1. Camera
2. 256mb SD Card
3. Lens adapter
4. Extra Battery
5. Travel Charger

If anyone can recommend a place, it would be appreciated. Has anyone
dealt with buy.com? What about digitaldelivered.com? Buy.com has most
of what I want at a good price but I can't find the extra battery or
charger on their site. Plus, the lens adapter is a 1-2 week wait.

The digitaldelivered.com site has a good deal on the camera along with
the camera dock for $359. Their accessories are high in my opinion
though.

At this point, it looks like I will have to buy from a couple places
to get what I want. I have to buy from the net as I am in a very rural
area of eastern NC. The closest mall is over an hour away and even
then, it's a small one.

What is the availability of the batteries for this camera? I've not
found too many places that have them. Should I be concerned about
possibly not being able to get batteries for the camera down the road
a couple of years?

Thanks for your time and any assistance you can offer.

Stan aka sewerrat
Old June 24th 04, 02:27 AM
Cathy De Viney

I just bought a DX6490 used from www.ebay about a wek ago for my daughter.
I got the lens attachment from www.buy.com . They are a good company and I
have bought several things from them. I got a Kodak battery off Ebay for
$19 including shipping. You can get the travel charger for about $25 plus
shipping from Ebay. I also got two 256MB cards from www.buy.com . Seems
like Kingston and Viking had $15 and $20 rebates through the end of the
month. You will also neeed something like a UV filter (55mm).

Try this for a refurb with full warranty http://tinyurl.com/2jz6a

Put your email address on the notify list and they will let you know when
more arrive. Use GEEK6490 in the code section and they will take $50 off,
so the price is $299 with dock.

Old June 24th 04, 09:08 AM
Ron Hunter

sewerrat wrote:
[...]

The price will, of course, be list, but I would suggest that Kodak will
happily sell you all the items.
The camera is quite popular so getting a battery in a couple of years
shouldn't be a problem. A couple of decades, maybe...
Old June 25th 04, 01:23 AM
hfs2

The battery is hard to find and given you will not know the remaining
energy in your battery, you will have to carry a spare. It you're a
recreation user you'll have to remember - there aint no charged up
batteries in the local drugstore. (Long live the AA! :-)

Also. By a 512 card. You don't want to take out your card unless you
plan on carrying a camera bag all the time. These things are really
small.

Old June 25th 04, 02:25 AM
sewerrat

On 24 Jun 2004 17:23:44 -0700, (hfs2) wrote:

The battery is hard to find and given you will not know the remaining
energy in your battery, you will have to carry a spare. It you're a
recreation user you'll have to remember - there aint no charged up
batteries in the local drugstore. (Long live the AA! :-)

Yes, I found that out after much time spent searching.

Also. By a 512 card. You don't want to take out your card unless you
plan on carrying a camera bag all the time. These things are really
small.

I placed my order today for everything except the memory. I'm buying
the memory from newegg.com once we get our phone number into their
system. I'd ordered from them before but went to update our info with
our new phone number. That mixed things up as our credit card company
still had our old number. It should be cleared up tomorrow. They have
256mb SD cards from Kingston for $49 but with a $20 rebate per card.
I'm getting 2 of them which will give me the 512mb total.

I ordered the camera, the lens adapter, & a spare battery from
buydig.com. The salesman was very helpful. He did try to offer more
accessories but was not pushy in any way when I told him I didn't need
them.

I already have a UV filter from my 35mm SLR outfit plus 2 Sunpak
flashes and a close-up lense. About the only thing else I will need is
a flash sync cord with hotshoe cable. I'm waiting to order that once I
see if I need a male or female connector.

I've always purchased Canon equipment before this but wanted the 10x
zoom as well as 4MP. Not having image stabilization is not a big thing
for me as I have 3 bogen tripods already that I've used for years. I
hope I will be happy with my decision.

Thanks for the input!

Stan aka sewerrat

Old June 25th 04, 09:37 AM
Ron Hunter

hfs2 wrote:

The battery is hard to find and given you will not know the remaining
energy in your battery, you will have to carry a spare. It you're a
recreation user you'll have to remember - there aint no charged up
batteries in the local drugstore. (Long live the AA! :-)

Also. By a 512 card. You don't want to take out your card unless you
plan on carrying a camera bag all the time. These things are really
small.

Yes, the ARE small, and a bit hard to find if dropped, but I haven't had
any problem with just dropping one in my pocket to retrieve later.

Old June 25th 04, 09:39 AM
Ron Hunter

sewerrat wrote:

[...]

The 256meg cards should do the job. I got nearly 300 shots on one with
my DX6440 on Alaskan cruise last month.
Old June 25th 04, 03:16 PM
ArtKramr

From: Ron Hunter
Date: 6/25/2004 1:39 AM Pacific Standard Time
sewerrat wrote:

On 24 Jun 2004 17:23:44 -0700,
(hfs2) wrote:

[...]

You'll love the 6490. Great camera.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old June 25th 04, 10:45 PM
hfs2

Perhaps, but as a man of action I find they float out of my
pocket as I leap across crevices. :-)

Old June 26th 04, 04:05 AM
Ron Hunter

Ron Hunter wrote in message ...

hfs2 wrote:

The battery is hard to find and given you will not know the remaining
energy in your battery, you will have to carry a spare. It you're a
recreation user you'll have to remember - there aint no charged up
batteries in the local drugstore. (Long live the AA! :-)

Also. By a 512 card. You don't want to take out your card unless you
plan on carrying a camera bag all the time. These things are really
small.

Yes, the ARE small, and a bit hard to find if dropped, but I haven't had
any problem with just dropping one in my pocket to retrieve later.

I have found that I can safely put one or two in my wallet where credit
cards go.